Pencak Silat

Discussion in 'Striking Martial Arts' started by Jovan, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Did any of you has experience with Pencak Silat? It looks really nice and has nice kicks, would it be usefull in MMA or something? One of my TKD teachers did Pencak Silat and he said it can be usefull in TKD.

3. Semper Gumby

Semper Gumby Disciple

My Kali class covers some Silat. I love doing it, most of the Silat we do would be illegal in any organized fight though. Its attack angles and elevations could help out for mma I imagine.

4. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

You meant dirty fight (no rules at all) ?

I did some research ...
    Silat: Self Defense Techniques that Work for this Martial Artist

Interesting

Is this right ?
    Modern silat = what you see in the official ring and tournaments
    Traditional silat = what you see in the street
    Pencak Silat = dancing martial artist demonstration ... similar to capoeira but still different style.

Jovan, Pat Dunks and dmach like this.
  5. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Well the self defence video seems really nice. This video really got my interests of Pencak Silat. The match looks a bit like TKD but then also with falling down kicks, slidings.

6. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I am getting sick of this referee because it looks like he saying "every single moves is a "STOP! STOP! NO! NO! & that is a WARNING ... don't do this ... don't do that" ... good grief (shake head & facepalm) "hey referee, you might want to considering yourself disqualified"

7. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Yeah allright, but if you annoy the referee and look at the actions, I dont know a other martial art with that kind of 'slidings'.

8. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

In terms of the physical movements, Silat can be seen as a cross between Karate, Judo and Capoera. Therefore it is very useful.

However, it is a well known fact that most Silat Guru (teachers) also like to teach the students about this "Tenaga dalam" which is the Malaysian or Indonesian version of Chi Gong or what have you.

Silat being originated around and about Malay and Indo, is influenced a lot by Islam. Therefore, there is always a possibility, if you get Malay or Indo teacher or Guru, you might be getting more than what you need (physical combat) or what you may want to hear (semi-religious indoctrination).