Peruvian Necktie Variation using the gi

Discussion in 'Grappling Martial Arts' started by RJ Clark, Sep 4, 2013.

1. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

You all know I focus primarily on no gi training, but this choke is slick enough to post in appreciation if nothing else. Also a great throw chain to get her opponent to the ground: Koshi Guruma fail (opponent's head pops free) directly into O Soto Makikomi (focused on "wrapping" the arm to finish the throw).

MattCMMA, liam and cqcacademy like this.
  3. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I am glad that Clarisse is alive and well. Yarden is very fast. :wideyed: I didn't see that coming. I thought Judo is lots of throwing, not MMA style like peruvian necktie variation using the gi choking her out ... I thought she died because the referee did not pay attention close enough !!! :mad: ... and I don't like the coach cheering :blackeye: for Yarden until Clarisse is ok :nailbiting: !!!

Thank you, Yarden for let go of Clarisse before death. :cautious: a TRUE sportsmanship and waiting for Yarden to be ok, :angelic: then be happy with the win. (y)

4. RJ Clark

She was released within a couple of seconds after going out. It's also not on the ref to say "I think she will be choked out or I think this joint lock is unbeatable" The competitor can physically or verbally "tap" if they feel they are in trouble or they can choose to try to defend. Sometimes that will mean an unsuccessful defense and naptime or a break, but that's combat sports. Also, blood chokes can have a person out in a flash without pain (no pain often means no reason to tap) and she was fighting to pop the leg off the back of her head just before naptime.

cqcacademy, Sneaker and MattCMMA like this.
  5. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Understood. I am just glad that she knows when to stop. I saw Clarisse right arm begins to drop and Yarden felt it and saw it as well then she lets go before referee notices.

cqcacademy and RJ Clark like this.
  6. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Also you would need to hold the choke for longer to cause death, she released as soon as she went limp

Sneaker likes this.
  7. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Exactly ... The referee didn't see it well or soon enough.

8. RJ Clark

Well, it didn't take long for at least one instructional to be put out on this clever choke

MattCMMA and Sneaker like this.
  9. cqcacademy

cqcacademy Initiate

That is funny. The group I train with have always used the gi for this choke. Whether it was with the opponent's lapel or the bottom of your gi . I just thought everyone knew that variation either way great videos RJ.

10. liam

liam Disciple

that was slick, I liked that a lot.

11. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

NoGi :)

cqcacademy and Sneaker like this.
  12. cqcacademy

cqcacademy Initiate

I like the set up from back control

MattCMMA likes this.