Polymer sword trainers?

Discussion in 'Sword' started by Nexquietus, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

I am in the process of making sword trainers that can stand up to contact for drilling purposes. I am not about to advocate them to be used for Sparring, mainly because they are plastic, and also because I am testing them on contact drills only so far. If I make some that I feel are good enough for selling would any folks here be interested? I am not sure on pricing, but expect it without shipping to be under $40, likely less, depending on the cost of materials. I have purchased a small amount of material, but I think shipping larger pieces may offset the reduced cost of buying in bulk could provide. We'll see.

I have a couple designs I am using so far: a D-guard hilt pseudo cutlass type, and a more Filipino, Pinute style one. A Barong is my next design, and from there??? I have seen designs for Tomahawks that I may try to work on as well. I'll post pics when I get things good and rolling.

So, is anyone interested? Let me know what you'd like to see. I may even be able to make custom designs, but that remains to be seen.

jim

Deborah likes this.
  2. Rockne Helms

Rockne Helms Disciple

Sounds very cool

3. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Hello my Budo friend,

You are just the man I want to talk to. I would certainly be interested if you with something along the lines of a Tachi, Katana and Ninja ken.

Deborah likes this.
  4. Andrew_

Andrew_ Initiate

I may get interested in your Barong design but I would like to have a look at it. Hope to see some pics of it....

5. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

A Kriss sword and dagger would be gorgeous, the type thats all wavy, do you get what I mean Jim my finest friend.....love and respects.... Ooooh a nice big Bolo Sword too, in fact ALL shapes,types and sizes would be great. I would certainly be interested in purchasing said items!! Ooooft I'm excited all ready:DWoohoo XXxxXX

Mario Paul likes this.
  6. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

A problem with the Kris types would be the curves, they would be weak points that in contact lines would possibly fracture. I guess I would have to check it out. I'll be looking at pattern materials and trying to get some prototypes made. Thanks for the input folks. I'll keep you in the loop.

jim

Deborah likes this.
  7. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

OMG Jim!!! I just done a little research into polymer sticks and swords..........AMAZING!!!! Please, please please can I be one of the first to get some.:D

Mario Paul likes this.
  8. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Me first. I replied first. Hahaha

Deborah likes this.
  9. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Uuuuffft, can I not pull the lady card and say ladies before gentlemen:pGo on...PLEASE? Hahahahaha xXxXxXx

Mario Paul likes this.
  10. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Of course you can my dear. I would not have dreamed going before a lady. Respect as always

Deborah likes this.
  11. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hahahahahaaaa, you always make me smile Mario XXxxXXxxXX

12. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

From experience get a good insurance policy for your trainers before you sell them.

Deborah likes this.
  13. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. On the other hand, I imagine it's hard to sue a guy that you bought a hand made trainer from on Ebay...

Deborah likes this.
  14. Lenin Perdomo

Lenin Perdomo Initiate

15. Lenin Perdomo

Lenin Perdomo Initiate

Have you tried making Bokkens? (Wooden Katanas)

Deborah likes this.
  16. Lenin Perdomo

Lenin Perdomo Initiate

I would surely be interested in that.

17. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Working in the resins industry, I'm curious to know what sort of polymar resin you would use? And what sort of glass would you put into the mould? Have you thought of making different colours to signfy different hardnesses, say black for light contact and forms and red for heavy contact and sparring, etc, etc...
    If you have any specific technical questions about the various different resins out there, feel free to ask :) If I don't know myself I can certainly find out easy enough at work, that technical department has to do some work every now and then!
    I work for a company called 'Nuplex' if you want to look it up, we make resins for pretty much everything from pools, surfboards, boats, right thru to industrial piping and fittings.

Lenin Perdomo likes this.