Proteine shakes.

Discussion in 'Healthy Eating & Nutrition' started by Jovan, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Would it be bad to use proteine shakes for strenght training while you are still growing?

3. Tivsy

Tivsy Disciple

No. I drink them all the time for extra protein and because I find it hard to meet my daily requirements of protein for all the activity I do.

4. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Personally I don't bother with them anymore, I prefer to just eat loads of fish. But it won't be bad for ya. Just don't consume loads of protein if you're not incredibly active otherwise it's just gonna get converted to fat or passed clean (pardon the pun) out of your system.

5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I don't bother with protein shakes either. If your lifestyle and typical diet dictates the need/desire to, you should spread out smaller servings because as Void said it will be mostly wasted with too much in one shot. Staying properly hydrated is always a good idea and is particularly important with a high protein diet/protein supplements. Personally I simply take a liquid B complex (often I squirt it into a water bottle) to ensure my body has the tools to repair the damage I do to it everyday.

Sneaker and Tivsy like this.
  6. Tivsy

Tivsy Disciple

Yeah it's hard to say since I don't know your weight or anything but it won't bother you but it is better to spread it out. Unless you're me and underweight. That is mainly why I drink them sometimes.

7. Alice Okasan

Alice Okasan Disciple

What do you mean by "while you are still growing"?

8. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Probably Jovan is very young says 20 years old ?
    I know that highest performance peak is at age 25.
    Then make a habit to stay strong with sharp mind til until die (hopefully close to 99) ?

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/protein-supplements

(in additional questions)
    how is it differ from each one in your opinions ?
    Whey Protein
    Isolate Whey (isolate whey eas chocolate) is what I like but still expensive.
    Creatine
    and there are more.

9. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Creatine is one that should be carefully used.... As it is a chemical that the organs do need to process, too much of it can cause adverse reactions; some studies show problems with the liver and kidneys over extended periods of us, I really wouldn't recommend it to a teenager.
    Here's a quick write up on it: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090224055146AAEleMJ

Enkidu knows a lot more about this stuff than I do... I haven't used creatine in a while. Not sure how active he is currently.

As for protiens whey does have the most bang for the buck, I have read somewhere that it can start to stick to the lining of the colon over time.

There are also vegetable based, hemp based, egg based, casein based and soy based protien mixes.
    For men I remember reading something about avoiding soy based ones something to do with lowering testosterone levels; not sure how valid the study was.
    Egg based is a decent option, people used to slam back raw eggs all the time for the protein; some egg powders do have high levels of cholosteral.
    Hemp is a decent alternative if you have milk based (whey/casein) alergies. The only thing in it is hemp. Also has lots of fiber, making you feel fuller longer, hence cutting down on snacking. Vitamins and minerals, and all natural. It's protein levels usually aren't as high as whey protein, but it has a good balance if you want to get back into shape, loose a few pounds and make some gains on muscle mass. I have used it myself, unflavored, just add some OJ and fresh fruit and blend, avoid straight with water.... it takes some getting used too.

It really depends what you want to achieve. If you want huge gains you'll be looking at Whey or Egg based.
    If you want to get back into shape and maybe gain some more muscle, I would look at hemp or whey but with a higher fiber diet.

Getting protein from a complete food though is always the best thought in the end. Most people focus on the protein and forget about the fatty acids omega3 and omega6's and vitamins and minerals that the body needs to keep it going properly during intense training.

Dave76, Sneaker and Jovan like this.
  10. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Well, I just want to get some more muscle and strength, shall I look for some whey or egg based shakes?

11. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Whey usually has the most bang for the buck, like I stated above if you have a dairy allergy avoid both whey and casein at all costs, than I would go with egg based. As to specific brand make sure you do your research: check the protein profile (most have them on the side, if not check the website), also the of the cheaper ones are loaded with cholestorerol. Don't get dragged in by marketing read the label; remember this is going into your body. If your going to go with protein shakes drink plenty of water.

Jovan likes this.
  12. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

And also, (maybe a stupid question but im still going to ask it) when do I have to use it? After excercising, before?

13. Void_Karateka

Seriously loads of water with whatever supplementation you use.

Sneaker, Aaron, DeeD and 2 others like this.
  14. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Usually immediately after your workout, unless you expect it the workout to last longer than 1 1/2 hours (which I would advise against, I would recommend you keep your workouts less than an hour) then you can drink it either before or after. After would still be better.

15. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

One way or the other, after would probably be better unless you're working out at home. Protein shakes can often make you feel a bit bloated (that's not conducive to a good training session) and well, gassy.:whistle:

16. Void_Karateka

Protein farts not cool at home, not cool in the gym. Just not cool man. The worst is if you've eaten a load of garlic the day before a workout, you'll never smell it but everyone else.....

Jovan and Sneaker like this.
  17. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Normally having protein within 30 min after weight training will aid with growth, but its more than just that its the whole diet process that should be looked at, People told me the same thing when I was in school and I just wanted to bulk up so used all different proteins etc yes i did pick up weight but then soon as i stopped I lost it all again, so my suggestion would be to see a dietician get some pointers from a food expert and take it from there, gains will last. I had a sports dietician for a while and she helped me drastically with the information i needed.

secondly creatine is one of the most researched supplements arounds and in long term studies(15 years) there has never been any conclusive evidence that it causes kidney or liver problems, but as Void said anything additional that you are consuming in supplement form like creatine,preotein shakes, vitamins etc you should increase water intake to keep everything flushed as a general rule

Jovan, Dave76, Eric Dufurrena and 2 others like this.
  18. Void_Karateka

I have a real Achilles heel for 2 things diet wise. Beef burgers and Coca Cola. Drastically reduce consumption of sugary fizzy drinks if you drink them a lot and be careful of the high fat content found in almost all animal meats.

Jovan likes this.
  19. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I cut down end of last year, I used to drink easy 1.5l a day now i dont keep it at home, can only order one when im out at lunch etc which is probably twice per week , truth is i feel much better when not drinking it :unsure:

20. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

In my experience, most of your gains from creatine usually disappear once you stop taking it. Also, for some people it has no effect. There was a lot of concern when it first came out about the safety of taking it, but studies have been published for both sides of the argument, so no conclusion. It seems to point to that if you already have issues with your kidneys or liver, that you should probably avoid creatine. If you are young and healthy, I don't see any harm in giving it a try.

Jovan and Aaron like this.
  21. Void_Karateka

It's worth noting that all the things you'll get from supplements are found naturally in your food. Unless you're planning on becoming the next Phil Heath at the moment a varied diet will be your best option and an increase in water intake.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.