Quantum Jujitsu - Incorporating 25 Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Jujitsu' started by Kevin, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I came across an interesting video about an art called Quantum Jujitsu. The demo video they produced online, with Sensei Jeremy Corbell, makes it look like the WWE of Jujitsu. Obviously demos are a bit more dramatic as they are used to showcase the art etc.​
    Someone on Bullshido thought it was a scam but they've apparently produced a lot of great fighters so I don't think it's a McDojo - far from it. What's your view on it - anyone ever came across this before. It's based in California so some of our USA West Coast members might have seen the name before.​
    Kev​

Vldz likes this.
  3. Tatsu

Tatsu Grasshoppa

Cool for a movie but to flashy for real life. A lot of those moves can be done more efficiently by not leaving your feet and I wonder how well they work i the guy actually moves b/c a few of them seem easy to stop by just bending your arm and driving an elbow to the guy as he starts to jump. My man quarrel comes from the start of an Oni Kudaki them stopping completely and throwing the guy over him the opposite way. If you could do all that you could just have broke his shoulder and elbow with Oni Kudaki and stayed in a dominate position, ready for his friends. Plus flipping on mats is a lot different than concrete.

4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I've read similar criticism on other forums. Perhaps it is justified. I'm not sure what the actual training is like. The video above is a demo so perhaps it was meant to have more style than substance.

The fact that they are associated with very good martial artists makes me think that the video is perhaps not a great representation of what students train day in day out. Though I'm not sure if those particular martial artists already have an extensive background in other arts.

5. Tatsu

Tatsu Grasshoppa

Most of the time when ppl show something they do it to the best of their capabilities so i'm pretty sure they train this. If not then why showcase it? And style is pointless to showcase without effectiveness.

6. Tatsu

Tatsu Grasshoppa

Plus the original hand arts of japan are based on the Way of the Sword

7. UK-Student

UK-Student Disciple

You mention they have produced a lot of great fighters. Any idea who any of them are?

My comment is whatever you think of the techniques shown, this is one-step sparring. One step sparring can be a good tool to use when teaching people movements, however it doesn't mean very much as a demo. One step sparring can make anyone look good and is no real indicator of how good someone is at applying a technique. I would be much more impressed by watching people who were actually sparring, even if they were doing so cooperatively as it would give me a much better idea of what one of these guys would look like when fighting. One-step sparring just doesn't show you that.

I'm sure they're a good school, just not the sort of video that speaks to a martial artist as opposed to a beginner.

My least favourite bit is where he throws the guy (with an aikido-like wristlock throw, which is not the most applicable technique in the world), then picks him up in order to side kick him in the face. If your man is on the floor, stomp him if you need to. Lifting him back up to the level of your kick is pure WWE/Hollywood.

Tatsu, Noel Connolly and RJ Clark like this.
  8. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Meh ... looks good, the guy has skills, but I'd like to see him in the octagon against someone good ... like UK said, it looks a bit Hollywood-ish in this video.

I DO give them props for incorporating yoga and massage therapy, though, mainly because that's kinda'-sorta' what I used to do.

Master of Nothing and RJ Clark like this.
  9. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

A lot of that flying shit [jumping up your opponent rather then being on the ground ie: flying armbar] is very low percentage. From the demo it shows the majority of his techniques are flying techniques. I wouldn't hold to much stock in a system based on low percentage techniques. Granted I didn't look any further into his system but from what I've seen from the demo, I don't really have the desire to, and i may be wrong, just an opinion.

RJ Clark likes this.
  10. NooBee

NooBee Learner

Looks cool but also looks like a lot of work.

Noel Connolly likes this.
  11. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Both of you are right on target with this. Low percentage BS with more in common with WWE than combat sports or self defense. Even if we give a little and call some of the flying maneuvers sacrifice throws, versus almost any grappler they will most likely be a huge fail + slam. As for self defense I don't like to take the chance of even throwing high kicks, so I sure as hell am not going to launch myself 5 to 7 feet in the air hoping to execute a stuntman takedown.

12. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

No. I read through 3 or 4 threads on other forums like Sherdog and a few members spoke about them producing certain fighters from there - people who are apparently known and respected.

13. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Hang on, I'm just going to go get some popcorn and watch that again. What's this movie called?:LOL:

Flying omoplata takedowns!:ROFLMAO:

That's what we do after training when we're goofing off and mucking around...
    And we always have to stress to our partner to stay still.....or it does'nt work!
    One guy at training fully faceplanted the mats trying that, funny as hell:)

Ryannmnzo, Kevin and Tatsu like this.
  14. Midnight_Omni

Midnight_Omni Initiate

Well as long as the flying takedowns are for demonstration purposes only and not encouraged in a real self defense situation, it actually doesn't look all that bad. I particularly like seeing leg takedowns incorporated into traditional grappling arts like Jujitsu and Judo, as for the mcdojo side of things I straight away think of American Kenpo and how people used to think that was a mcdojo. I actually know somebody who studies Kenpo and I've seen him take down 5 guys on his own. I live in Australia but if anybody here lives in California they should have a look and let us know how this system is.

15. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

As a demo I rather enjoyed it.

I can see the Instructor is very physical, but are the students.

I think that as a style I'm sure its quite a solid style as you can see within the demo some solid grounding

Thanks for the find

16. Tatsu

Tatsu Grasshoppa

Real Jujutsu teaches leg takes.

Kuyaken likes this.
  17. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Real Karate teaches Leg takes too!!!

Although dramatised it illustrates what I mean. its quite hard to differenciate between the KarateKa and the Jujitsuka

Tatsu likes this.
  18. Tatsu

Tatsu Grasshoppa

agreed i do Shotokan.

19. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

That was really neat. I'll agree this demo is more razzle-dazzle than practical application. Like what the Koreans do with Taekwondo. Even when Taekwondo was a "real" martial art. They would do "movie-throws & takedowns" and a bunch of physics tricks to "WOW" the audience. All to signup younger students. I'm curious about some of the respects fighters produced. That can be taken several ways. A novice at the beginner level would still be super impressed. As they are still in the phase of having "The Daydream". The one where you are walking alone, somewhere secluded. You, of course are the peaceful, monk-like martial artist. Just bein' "humble" and walking along. THEN IT HAPPENS!!!! 2,4,6,8,10, whatever number of punks ambush you!!!! You, of course are "peaceful" and desire no confrontation (;)). But, you now "do what you must"! Despite the flurry of attacks and number of attackers. YOU defeat your enemies with style and ease!!! Because, even though you have only been training for a few months, weeks, or days. You are............THE ONE!!!!!!!! :cool:

My immediate question marks:
    "Quantum Jujitsu" - Having a bit of knowledge of quantum physics. I'd have to see the outline for the school's Philosophy/Principles structure.
    I find it very curious that "Quantum" Jujitsu is being taught at a church. Not uncalled for, just curious. It's my first impression of the instructors body language, that the use of the term Quantum is more a marketing term. Than a scientific one.
    Why not focus on demonstrating the application of quantum physics? Perceptual understanding of motion applied to macroscopic objects from a nanoscopic ideal. I'll stay away from the old term of "Chi" not into arguing again about it. ;) Like that one time. But, feel free to go back and reference that thread for some more examples of application.

All in all it was very entertaining. Dude would cleanup against a manequin factory. :LOL:
    But, if their fundamentals are trained with the same energy. It would interesting and educational to checkout. Otherwise it's another Pajama Shop.