Question about Krav Maga

Discussion in 'Krav Maga' started by Bonnell74, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

I hope I am posting in the correct area. I was wondering if anybody who practices Krav Maga knows anything about Vanguard Krav Maga and if it is legitimate? I have heard great things from friends of mine that practice Krav Maga, but this particular style of it is something that I have not heard of. Just curious if anyone has any knowledge on the subject as I am looking to train in something a little closer to home than what I do now. Thank you.

3. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Here's their website - they also have a list of their locations.

Just a personal observation: the first sentence of the page contains a factual error. Krav Maga was not in fact founded in the '40's for the IDF by Imi - he had already begun creating it in Czechoslovakia in the '30's. When he moved to Israel in 1942 he joined the Hagana and became a Kapap instructor. In 1948 when Israel became a state all the pre-existing militias joined together to form the IDF, but the exact date of the assumption of the name "Krav Maga" is still in question - every website I've ever checked has just spewed out the party line without any backing proof.

liam and Blade Maker like this.
  4. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

Sifu Phil, I have heard so many different stories on the system that I am not sure what is accurate. I too understood that this Imi guy started this stuff back in the 30's, like you said. The instructor that has added this art to his school seemed to be a pretty good guy who knows his stuff. He runs a school called Kicks Taekwondo here in Manteca. Although I am not a huge fan of Taekwondo, he also teaches Muay Thai and now Krav Maga. I spoke with him and he gave me a free two week pass to try the Krav Maga and really was very welcoming and kind, like a guy that has been studying for a very long time is. Anyway, just trying to weigh my options as I just can't keep going as far as I do to train in Escrima and I want something that is more combat oriented than sport oriented like Escrima is; which has lead me to this Krav Maga school that is right around the corner from my house. Thanks for the reply and always a pleasure to hear what you have to say!

5. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

i did the art for 3 years. the best way to explain it is that it is a hybrid art consisting of 40% modified muay thai, 20% jujitsu, 10% hapkido/aikido, 20%judo, and 10% their own unique add-ons. it is a system built to teach ALOT of people very quickly how to defend themselves. there are several versions of it that distinguish itsself between the civilian population and the military of isreal. i deeply love the art. now shut up and watch this clip.

liam and Blade Maker like this.
  6. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

^^^all that being said. Vanguard is a money making, bravado inducing Mcdojo. just like many of the tkd or MMA places out there. don't waste your money or your time there.

7. SifuPhil

Wow - personal experience?

8. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

heard of them. somewhat more infamous among the actual practitioners of krav maga for being full of crap. i'm not usually one to say that "that place sucks and is horrible" but this one truly is.

9. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

So I am guessing that Vanguard Krav Maga is not something that would be useful, more of a watered down version of the art?

10. SifuPhil

That's why it caught my eye - I thought maybe your evil twin was posting on your account ...

Eric M. Miller likes this.
  11. SifuPhil

12. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

indeed, a watered down women's self defense that would just annoy and frustrate any serious martial artist.

13. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

Thanks Sifu Phil! I checked those places out online and looked into the organizations as a whole and to be honest, they are pretty much the same as the Vanguard Krav Maga organization. They all seem to be trademarked or licensed and they all have the same goal of teaching practical self defense and teaching people to instruct other people, so they say. I figure there is probably one of two things going on with Krav Maga. 1) They are motivated to help people and teach something realistic and they teach people the business part of it to spread the ideas and techniques of the art because it really works or 2) They are just business oriented and teach people to become teachers because everybody is trying to make a buck off the "hype" of self defense in today's society. I am hoping it is the first one, but I suppose the only way to really no is to go and try the 2 week class for free. I have been around long enough to know if what they teach is going to work or if it is just another McDojo...thanks for the information!!

SifuPhil likes this.
  14. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

Eric, just out of curiosity, what would be a good Krav Maga place to look for? I may be limited to where I can go, but just curious.

15. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

sadly haven't heard of it. and KMW is alot like AMA (american martial arts, which Moo sul kwan (my school) is under). to be a part of it really isn't that impressive. look up names, reputations, and just go there. only way to discover if it is good.

SifuPhil likes this.
  16. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

studying it in israel where they go out and practice in the desert :p they guy who i posted, roy, teaches several classes. i studied under Master Nathan who teaches out of Cape Guiradeu, Missouri for a while. their are a few in st. louis and Chicago that are good. hard to say man, location matters.

aminiv likes this.
  17. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

Well shoot, I guess my location is not prime for this specific art. Oh well, I appreciate the feedback and guess I will figure something out. Thanks!

18. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

yeah, what he said ...

19. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

I will ask my friends who teach Kapap with Avi Nardia.....

Bonnell74 likes this.
  20. SifuPhil

Geeze, I thought California was the land of plenty - I never had a problem getting Taijiquan students out there, the only state I can say that for ... if I were to ask about Krav Maga here in Pennsylvania they'd think it was a Polish potato dish. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what I figured.

I was just looking at a JKD forum yesterday and the level of political fighting, of accusations and downright insults, was pathetic, a dishonor I'd think to Bruce Lee's vision.If that's the usual way of business in JKD I fear for its future.

Hopefully Krav Maga isn't that bad yet ... I also suppose that ever since it got watered-down for civilians it lost a lot of its effectiveness in many schools.

Bonnell74 likes this.
  21. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

No kidding Sifu Phil! I think it is just the central valley (northern California) that I am in that is lacking in quality schools, or namely the city I am in. I guess that maybe I should work on fixing my transportation situation and my options will be infinite. We have great schools all over the place, just not in Manteca!

Mr. Bond, that would be greatly appreciated!! That is the kind of knowledge that would really help as to the validity of this specific style. I have heard of Avi Nardia and anything that group of guys has to say would be great!

Thanks everyone for responding, gave me a lot to think about and that is what I was after!