Ronda Rousey to face Liz Carmouche in UFC 157 main event

Discussion in 'News' started by MattCMMA, Dec 6, 2012.

1. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

3. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

So in effect, has the Strikeforce belt been re-branded for keeping the belt title history linear i.e. she's the first UFC womens champion without throwing a punch?

Dave76 and Aaron Hutto like this.
  4. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Strikeforce is pretty much gone. 1 more show. It's seems like the UFC wants to keep the existing division and try to bring the rest in against her. She's definitely a champ, There is pretty much none out there that can challenge her. Cyborg has just said she's willing to cut the weight to fight at 135, I think Cyborg may be the only legit challenge to her. The UFC seems to be content to begin with a single weight division. They did the same thing when the UFC took over WEC, and opened up the lighter weight classes seen now in the UFC.

5. Muay Thai Samurai

Muay Thai Samurai Never Back Down

Im betting there gonna just consider her the first UFC women's champion and have her start her title reign as soon as the ink is dry on everything, but rousey has said herself that she doesn't believe she is a true champion until she defends a belt so until she does i don't believe even she considers herself champ.

MattCMMA likes this.
  6. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

I saw the pic with her holding the belt and thought WTF?
    Did'nt the WEC champs start as interum champs until they had fought for the title in a legit UFC promotion?
    I don't deny she's the champ....but in Strikeforce, not UFC. She should have to start as interum champ and earn that belt.

7. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Still....UFC 157 BABY!!!

Bring it on!:D

8. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

The WEC divisions were much deeper then the women's 135 division. If the UFC were to push their own bouts for a champ, we would basically see the same thing that happened in SF.. Ronda by armbar. Besides...If you had a gorgeous, dominant champion like Rousey to lead a new division in the expansion of your promotion, would you say no?

edit:
    Also to take into mind. WEC wasn't run by ZUFFA for a few years before shutdown , like Strikeforce was. It's different circumstances, and the sheer fact that Strikeforce was ran by the parent company of the UFC[ZUFFA] for man years before shutdown.

9. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Interestingly, several years ago Dana was trying to check out the depth of female talent, and a lot of major fight camps brought in a lot of women, including Jackson/Winkeljohn. A friend of mine went over and worked out and fought over there for a bit, but I guess at the time Dana wasn't impressed by the numbers of girls ready for the big time, so he scrapped the idea. Then he met one Ronda.....

I have to admit, if I was him, I would have done the same thing! =D

10. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

Rausey epitomizes the martial arts maxim: " I do not fear the thousand techniques you have trained once , but I fear the one technique you have trained a thousand times". She is probably gonna win using an armbar again. :)