Sanshou training

Discussion in 'Sanshou' started by Johann, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Johann

Johann Initiate

So I'm new to the forum and I've been doing sanshou for just under a year now. I would like to know what your training focuses on more, techniques or physical fitness and conditioning.

Blade Maker likes this.
  3. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

why not all 3 at the same time? bag work...

Master of Nothing likes this.
  4. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Where do you train Sanshou?

I live in the second largest city in the United States (Los Angeles) and wasn't able to find a Sanshou academy out here at all years ago when I got interested in learning it.

If I lived in the Bay Area or New York, I know there are some very good academies.

I would really like to see Sanshou rise in popularity so that opportunities to train it become more prevalent. I think that it would be an excellent foundational art for stand-up in MMA because of how it integrates strikes and take downs seamlessly.

5. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Doesn't Cung Li teach outof San Diego?

6. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Bay Area last I heard. San Jose, I believe.

7. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Badassery aside. Out of the big names that attended the 2002 NAPMA Convention. He was awesome! When he wasn't "playing the role"-promoting himself and Ush Inc., he was actually very balanced. Turned out that he was aquanted with Alex Gong (RIP) and they both had great senses of humor. Cung even gave me slack for screwing up at his CIT seminar. Since he was the reason I was out and about the night before. He was just happy I didn't puke. :hungover:

Enkidu likes this.
  8. Johann

Johann Initiate

well I'm from the Caribbean and there are a few people who offer training in sanshou. I agree with you that it is an excellent foundational art, as I use it as my primary stand up fighting style in MMA.

Enkidu likes this.