Sauna or Not?

Discussion in 'Healthy Eating & Nutrition' started by shinpatan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. shinpatan

shinpatan Disciple

Do you think there are benefits to sweating it out in a Sauna? Or is it all a bunch of hype? I'm in a weight loss competition, and have added trips to the sauna just to rid my body of any extra fluid retention (being a female, that does happen!), and because it just feels awesome. BUT, not sure if it really helps? Or does it basically dehydrate oneself? Thoughts, ideas? Do you Sauna, or not?

3. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Well, it just makes you sweat and loose liquid by trying to maintain your body temperature at 'safe levels'. The liquid you loose sweating it out is not (probably, in my concepts) the liquid you are retaining.
    What helps to reduce the retained liquid is lymphatic drainage. Have you ever tried? My mom does it often and she says she pees a lot after the massage heheh
    But if you have to loose weight at any cost, every liquid loss is welcome, and going to the sauna should help you, at least right before the competition :)

RJ Clark likes this.
  4. Gone

Gone Guest

I think its more therapeutic than anything else.

RJ Clark likes this.
  5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Great point right here. Continue to use the sauna to become accustomed to the inherent discomfort of using it for weight loss and to get a feel for how much weight you can shed in a session without it affecting you too adversely (feeling "wiped out"). Look at it like you're getting ready for a fight - you want to cut weight but you still need to perform well.(y)

6. science says....if you do a work out that uses many if not all of your muscles....like ma training

your body has to repair a whole bunch of muscles.....where does your body go to get the extra calories to repair the muscles? stomache, butt hips....

I do gsp rush fit...its ma exercises....it beats the shit out of you...it is strength training and cardio at the same time....and you shed a crazy amount of weight because of the above statement.....I completely recommend it....and if you like georges st pierre you can stare at him all the time(dvd) workout

and sauna I guess helps

shinpatan likes this.
  7. RJ Clark

Compound exercises/movements and/or circuit-type training are good to engage most or all of your muscle groups and by default burn more calories.

The repair part brings up an important issue: consistent, quality sleeping time. Your body does all it's repairing while you sleep. Also, your hormone levels can get out-of-whack from a lack of or irregular sleep it can increase your appetite and there is also the possibility that lack of sleep changes the way our bodies digest carbs which can lead to weight gain as well. So without a doubt your sleep/rest cycles are just as important as your training when it comes to your weight loss.

Aaron and SifuPhil like this.
  8. Daniel Miller

Daniel Miller Warrior Instructor

A sauna is as much a skin cleanser as anything else. It is therapeutic and can act like a heat treatment for swollen/sore muscles, as well as getting rid of all sorts of nasty stuff that gets stuck in your pores.

Charlay Atkins, Judah and RJ Clark like this.
  9. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Truth be told, sauna doesn't really do it for me. What I found is, in order to lose weight, building muscle is the most effective way since the muscles tend to "eat" the fat storage.

Having said that, the immediate effect of gaining muscle is gaining weight. only in the long run you'll lose it.

Locutus likes this.
  10. shinpatan

shinpatan Disciple

Thanks, guys. To give an update, I came in 2nd place for the month of Jan, based on percentage of weight lost. We decided on percentage vs pounds to be fair. Out of 21 people participating, I'd say that's pretty good. Now, to kick it up a bit for Feb!

My workout plan has not really included much strength training, so I need some tips on how often I should work on this? I have been mostly doing cycle/spin class 3 times weekly (an hour each class), running or other forms of cardio on other days. Spin class does provide resistance for legs ( resistance can be adjusted) and we even add in some abs, like crunches. Once weekly in spin class we do "toning" for 20 min which includes exercises like push ups, squats, some including the use of 5 lb weights. In total, I'm working out 5-6 times weekly.

I'm also using the app "my fitness pal" which tracks calories and other nutritional content. In March, I'm hoping to get back to MA twice weekly in place of going to the gym on those days.

So, I feel that I'm working hard, but even so, my weight loss could use a boost ( I only lost 0.6 lb this week). Any advice, on strength training, or advice in general?

MattCMMA, SifuPhil and Pedro like this.
  11. Judah

Judah fights in tights

If Enkidu were about he'd be the best to ask about strength training. But I'll give you my opinion.

Strong Lifts 5x5 is a good program to follow. Basically you do core exercises with free weights and increase weight every time you go to the gym so start light! Depending on your strength just the bar is a good starting point.

Workout A:
    Squat 5 sets of 5 reps
    Bench press 5 sets of 5 reps
    Bent over row 5 sets of 5 reps

Workout B:
    Squat 5 sets of 5 reps
    Overhead press 5 sets of 5 reps
    Deadlift 5 sets of 5 reps.

I crease weight by 5lbs on each exercise everytime you visit the gym except dead lift, increase that by 10lbs so the weight keeps up with the squats which you're doing 3 times per week.

This is a solid strength program which has served me well. I have a good friend who is a female bodybuilder and she's made incredible gains in strength with this program, she uses steroids though so she's pretty big as well but your diet will dictate how big you get. Try to keep the bench press and row weight similar otherwise you'll get muscular imbalances.

After 12 weeks remove 20% weight from all exercises and start again. You can't keep making increases all the time and your body will need a rest. :)

12. if you do not want to do a heavy weight lifing regimen....

do burpees....jump in the air, hit the deck, do a pushup and get back up to your feet

13. RJ Clark

o_O Kind of like having four aces up your sleeve when it comes to strength training on that.

Congrats on 2nd place and for being determined to make this healthy lifestyle choice!
    You don't necessarily need to be focusing on strength training per se, but you will use the compound exercises and other techniques common to most fitness routines because of their effectiveness. What you do need to do is get the upper body engaged as well (you'll gain strength overall by default).

Two of the best ways to engage a lot of muscle groups and to keep you constantly moving are compound movements and/or circuits that alternate "pushing" then a "pulling" exercise. Simply put, the "pushers" rest while pulling and the "pullers" rest when pushing which keeps you doing set after set with little or no rest between. Compound movements include: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press (plus variations incline, decline, barbell & dumbbell, dips, etc) Bent-Over Rows (plus variations, even throw in chin-ups as a variation). Less effective "burners" are isolation exercises which, er well, isolate a single muscle group;) such as preacher curls, leg extensions, etc. You can throw a few into a circuit but don't make them the focus of your fitness/weight-loss program.

Another great way is what has been called Peripheral Heart Action, which means alternating an upper body exercise for a set then doing a lower body exercise. Such as flat bench press then squats, etc. Sometimes you can get PHA all in one exercise (clean & jerk is a good example). Two of my favorites are leaping medicineball burpees (I saw someone else also do these in a vid and they called them Thunder Rolls I think) and a hybrid clean & jerk-squat press. C&J SqPr: light weight barbell on the floor in front of you, take about shoulder width grip. Explode and bring the bar up to your shoulders and keeping your grip you roll your hands under the bar as you rest it briefly on your upper chest/shoulders keep your feet planted. Then explode into an overhead press slowly bring the bar behind the head to rest on your shoulders. Go down into a squat then explode up and press the bar overhead again. Bring it back down in front to the shoulders then down to the ground in the start position. That's one rep. Do a set of eight to ten and you should be able to look down at your chest and actually see your heart pounding!(y)

This is just a little bit of what you can do and it was a lot of typing. I'll sit down soon and fire off actual routines with the exercises and approximate weights and amount of reps & sets to do. Keep in mind, you must tweak anything we give to challenge your current fitness level. Because none of us are actually working with you we don't know how much to push you.

14. Judah

Judah fights in tights

RJ she trained for over 5 years without touching juice. Of course gear is going to increase strength as well as build muscle but then I'd bever advise anyone to take steroids or any other drug legal or otherwise :)

15. RJ Clark

I'm not being super-critical one way or the other. What anyone else does is their business as long as it has no effect on me or mine. Plus, legal or not often has more to do with timing, in particular here in the US (Prohibition had banned alcohol, et al). But for shinpatan weight loss, specifically fat loss, is the goal. That's why I went the direction I did.

16. would you recommend creatine?

17. Judah

Judah fights in tights

She specifically asked about strength training which is why I detailed a strength training routine.

18. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Not really, you have to increase water consumption when you use creatine. Although its not a drug and many weight gainer drinks also have creatine added I can't say I'm a fan.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  19. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

The main advantage strength training has in terms of weight loss is it's ability to keep on burning the fat long after you stop actually working out.
    Cardio is great and burns heaps of kj while your working out, but the moment you stop and your heart rate goes down, so does the bodies fat burning rate.
    Lifting weight for strength gains, not bulk gains like a body builder, has been proven to increase your metabolism and keep you burning kj for hours afterwards.
    Other benefits are obviously getting stronger, which in turn provides greater support for joints and bones, which will prove to be of great benifit later in life.
    But mainly, it's 'functional' weight loss. It's something that will aid you in everday life while out and about in the world.
    Spin class is great for what it is, dropping weight, but it wont help you when a friend needs to move house and you find yourself with a couch or fridge to move, etc...
    And while it may not be the 'be all and end all', it certainly doesn't hurt to have strength in a fight.

I remember you saying that your coming back from an injury, but I can't remember what it was exactly sorry, so take that in mind with my recommendations.
    Deadlifts and back squats are a great starter for someone new to strength lifting.
    If you can find time for one good heavy lifting session a week, these would be my recommendations for a beginner lifter.
    Farmers walk, bench press, military press, weighted pull ups and dips, squat thrusters, etc, etc.... the list is to long. But of them all, squats and deadlifts would be my picks.
    Determine your one rep max at any weightlifting exercise before starting a 'program', else how will you determine your progress.
    And remember that strength gains come from lifting heavy for less reps, as opposed to lifting light/med weights for higher reps to gain size.

I find creatine is great for recovery afterwards with plenty of magnessium, but to be honest, unless your lifting for compatitions I wouldn't bother with things like creatine, the cost doesn't justify the results.
    Magnessium though is great to stave off those muscle cramps that one can get when you go hard all week and don't keep hydrated enough.

As to sauna's, I do use mine at the gym after training. I'll go straight in there and stretch while I'm still warm from working out, so as not to get cold while I keep stretching. Then a quick shower with hot water to wash away the gunk, followed by a cold blast at the end to close up the pores.
    So yes, they're useful to me for staying warm while stretching, cleaning out the pores and maybe dropping a half kg or so before a comp at the last minute if I haven't made weight in time, that's about it.

Vldz likes this.
  20. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Also, Creatine doesn't work for everyone. Depending on your natural creatine level, it may do nothing at all. I had that problem when I was a personal trainer, creatine was the recent craze. I used it hoping to get that instant 5 to 10 lbs of muscle! Nothing. However, some of my clients did pretty good with it. Until they stopped using it.

21. Mikey

Mikey Grasshoppa

there are lots of benefits with using the sauna. one is it helps your body flush toxins, it helps cleanse your skin, it sheds excess water weight, relaxes muscles after workouts and it can also help releive stress. just be sure to avoid alcohol and be very well hydrated.

Charlay Atkins likes this.