Savate appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Savate' started by Judah, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Ok this savate section is really bare! Lol! Just the one thread! Yeah I know it's not a particularly well known system but it's growing and I really like it. See I started with ITF taekwondo and ju jitsu, I dropped the JJ as it bored me and started boxing to compliment my TKD. Wasn't long before my brother and I were were dissecting and evaluating both systems and we decided to combine them into a hybrid kickboxing system. What we ended up with was very similar to savate minus the leg kicking, we used to spar with TKD shoes sometimes although they are a lot softer than savate boots!!

Anyways, many years passed, my brother and I parted ways to an extent and I was looking for somewhere to train that suited what I now did. ITF & WTF TKD wouldn't do as what I did didn't really look anything like TKD anymore. I found a savate club in London and went along, the kicking was very similar to mine and I loved the footwork which I found very slippery. The leg kicking took a while to get used to but I now have a new favourite kick! Coup de pied bas, a really low kick to the shin just above the ankle almost a foot sweep and it bloody hurts! Damn effective at close (boxing) range and compliments hand techniques perfectly!

So now I'm a savateur, apart from the low kicks and footwork doing pretty much what I did before and I'm now competing again after a 6 year lay off, honestly never thought I'd compete again until I started savate :)

Anyone who's interested in or practices savate please share how you came to start training in it or ask any questions you may have about it!

Oh yeah the pic is obviously taekwondo but I don't have any decent photos of me doing savate.... :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344372146.690562.jpg

Master of Nothing likes this.
  2. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

One of the only things that stuck with me watching a segment about savate was the liver kick very much being a go-to technique in that art (perhaps it was just a fav for the guy they showed), which I can appreciate from boxing. I've never sparred with a savateur, so I don't have much of a feel for the art overall, other than the impression that it's focus is on kicking techniques (correct me if I'm wrong, please)...

Master of Nothing and Judah like this.
  3. Judah

Judah fights in tights

You're right, in assaut (semi contact) they have rules which restrict use of the hands to emphasise kicking, you can only score a maximum of 2 points for a hand combination, there are ways around it though, a low kick will "reset" it so you continue scoring. Combat (full contact) there is no such rule but you can get warned if you're punching too much and not throwing enough kicks.

The liver kick your on about is that the one from human weapon? Typically the primary target is the leg but that point of the boot into liver is effective a common combo is lead leg chassé lateral (side kick) to the thigh followed by a quick fouetté (fast turning kick) to the mid section liver if you're accurate enough I often aim for the solar plexus if I'm fighting a southpaw as then the liver is a li'l too close, if the leg is too bent at impact the kick won't score, the leg has to be at least 70% extended, which makes sense, any less and there's not much power. The emphasis is on speed allowing the boot to do damage with its hardness and of course the kicks are aimed at sensitive areas which increases effectiveness.

Master of Nothing and RJ Clark like this.
  4. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I just used my new savate boots, came in the post yesterday. So they're light like boxing boots but the toe is tougher so you don't hurt your toes when you impact with the toe of the boot, there's jess support round the ankle than boxing boots so it's easier to point the foot. The heel is tougher too and the sole is smooth, no raised pattern or treads. To be perfectly honest I prefer boxing boots for footwork but it's nice seeing the effect of these when you kick with them. Imagine kicking someone with a pair of doc martens on :D

5. Judah

Judah fights in tights

For anyone interested here's a montage of a great savateur. This is savate combat (full contact)

6. Judah

Judah fights in tights

My new savate bootys! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345030171.222223.jpg

Dpendleton likes this.
  7. Vos

Vos Initiate

Where do you train Savate in London? I used to train in Amsterdam in Vos gym, a excellent no nonesense type of gym with great teachers, most of the trainers where K1 fighters so the classes where aimed more towards combat then assualt.
    I really would like to find somewhere similar in London - I don't have to go toe to toe all lesson, but serious focused training based on conditioning, technique and sparring (not full contact, but serious sparring). Do you have any ideas?

8. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

His legs seem unbelievably long!

9. Judah

Judah fights in tights

There's only 1 Savate club in London im aware of my friend. There are very few in the UK, and all are assaut. The London club focuses on competition training as they compete a lot. So yeah plenty of sparring. If you want to spar with heavier contact I can oblige :D

http://www.londonsavate.co.uk

Here's the website, has all contact details etc :)

10. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Yeah! I love that high side kick he just plants!

11. Judah

Judah fights in tights

12. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

No imagination necessary. Been on the receiving end of that before. Total sucks the donkey! :dead: Looks like I gotta get some Savate boots!

Dpendleton likes this.
  13. Master of Nothing

I've hear of Savate. I've read some stuff about it after seeing mentioned in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, way back. Unfortunately, even decades later. I havn't found a school or teacher in the Md, NoVa, DC area. By chance, would you have any advice or information for my area?

14. Judah

Judah fights in tights

After criticising SifuPhil's European geography I'm now going to show up my crap American geography. I think there's a place in Virginia...

ussavate.org is the best place to look (couldn't paste a link from my phone)

http://sportsavate.org/ couldn't find a lust of clubs on this site

And this is where I get my boots

http://www.rivatshop.com

15. Master of Nothing

Super Cool!! Thank You Sir!!

16. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Fouetté bas
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348504181.613866.jpg

17. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Coup de pied bas
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348504216.996552.jpg

18. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Chasse lateral median

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348504252.782319.jpg

19. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Here's some good Savate... FC of course.. Hence the KO finish... Bollocks spoilt it!

20. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Kicks with an upward trajectory are illegal in sport Savate. As are kicks with a vertically downward trajectory (Axe kicks) here's a pic showing the allowed range of fouettés (whip kicks)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356319696.185802.jpg

Of course this is just for competition. Savate dans la rue allows ANY technique....