Savate appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Savate' started by Judah, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

So no front kicks? Last time I was in the Zone Rouge, I got a hooker...joking. Two hookers and a midget!

2. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Front pushing kick is allowed, chassé frontal, it's like a teep with the heel it's just the front snap kick (Mae geri/ ap chabusigi) which isn't allowed.

I never got a French hooker, I heard they're so hairy they out their armpit hair in braids an shit.....

3. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Here's a link to my mate's Savate page, it lists all the legal strikes for sport Savate. And has a couple of videos too. Basically the hand techniques are all marquis of Queensbury rules boxing punches with the same target areas front and sides only. While the only areas you can't kick are the groin back of the head and the neck

http://www.onlineonair.com/savate/page1.html

4. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Found a channel on YouTube with loads of good Savate bouts. :D
    No semi contact here kids!

The channel is Petburg, if you wanna see more just check his vid list. :)

5. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

All I can say is WTF? A couple of good strikes and a lot of dancing around. Personally I think the black guy won and the guy in the red outfit, what the heck is his game? Is he carrying his tug toner around in his tights permanently? Or is it a case of overcompensation? Seriously, I have seen pregnant women with less of a bulge than what this guy was sporting. If this guy was really that well endowed then he is in the wrong profession if you know what I mean. :troll:

6. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

The sexy outfit maks the legs look even longer.
    I almost started practicing Savate once, but the instructor said I was too young (13), even though there were younger boys than me..That got me a little disbelieved in humanity, so I went back to Jiu Jitsu. :(

7. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

WTF, is this the only thread we all will reply to tonight? WTF?

8. Judah

Judah fights in tights

There are over 100 vids on that channel, why not check out a few more before passing judgement....

Pedro likes this.
  9. Locutus

10. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

what you mean?:confused:

11. Locutus

That instead of kicking people he should be pleasuring them. He could have been the next John Holmes.

12. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Fatty hitting the bag.

Pedro and RJ Clark like this.
  13. Ninja_Lee

Ninja_Lee Initiate

Nice video Judah, dropped you a comment and subbed on YouTube too!

Judah likes this.
  14. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Thanks Ninja :)

15. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Nice work and great editing, BTW! Real good kicks as expected and previously seen in your comp video(y)

Not a critique but something to try out that I think will benefit you a lot is to let your arm (not necessarily the fist) corkscrew/turn a bit with the jab. Basically let your elbow roll up to face your side during the delivery of the punch rather than angled down. That allows the punch fly straighter throughout the whole range of motion which means through their guard easier and makes parrying harder and long rhythm (forward-and-back head movement) slipping much tougher. Also helps to engage the shoulders and chest a bit more into the punch rather than a "triceps" jab and adds a bit of shoulder girth to your reach while still extending the arm to the same length.

Pedro and Judah like this.
  16. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Thanks for the tip RJ. I'll give it a shot. Although as you may remember from an article I wrote (2 years ago?!?!?) I'm not a fan of corkscrewing when I punch. But I'll try it out when I spar next/ hit the bag

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    RJ Clark likes this.
  17. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Yeah, I only use corkscrew to describe what the arm does, it's about a quarter turn of the arm but no extra rotation of the fist itself. Not a big difference in how you throw the punch but it can have a nice effect. As far as corkscrewing the fist itself the only (good) reason I ever was given was to open up a cut more on a guy when competing...

Judah likes this.
  18. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I think I get what you mean. I'll video my next bag workout and post it so you can tell me if I got the idea. (Y)

19. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Here's a vid of something I tried doing a while ago. Never really got the hang of it though....

20. Judah

Judah fights in tights

And I tried kicking it too...

Dave76 likes this.