Slam goes wrong.

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu' started by Dave76, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

My deepest sympathies for this young lad.
    It does seem to me upon a few watching's that his opponent was definitely going for the pick up and dump them technique known as slamming. And that from there it all went horribly wrong. Instead of sitting up and countering the motion with his bodyweight as leverage, he seems to try and keep his back straight and ends up sort of getting dragged thru.
    It was very fast though and on the mats it no doubt felt like the blink of an eye.
    I can't help but think the age difference was a contributing factor.
    Can't understand why they had a 15 year old in the adults division either. I don't care how backwater you live, boys don't compete against men. Same weight or not, different bone densities and musculature development. He shouldn't have been in that division.

[​IMG]
    Gabriel Diniz was a 15 year old fighting in the adult division, and subsequently lost the use of his arms and legs. This happened at II Etapa do Campeonato Estadual de Jiu Jitsu Capixaba in Brazil.

3. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

ah man, that is horrific, that happened so quickly, I feel really bad for that guy and his opponent will also always carry that tragic event with him as well

Sherratt, Sneaker and Void_Karateka like this.
  4. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Very true. Couldn't believe what I just saw, never seen that kind of compression on the neck like that before. Really feel for both parties. The young chap's life is pretty much over before it's even had a chance to begin.

Sneaker and DeeD like this.
  5. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I watched the video ... I was like what is so horrific about the video ... then whoa ... he flipped him good ... wait ! where is the head ??? 180 neck bent with his body weight on top of him ... I hope he is not paralyzed ... my heart goes for both of them.

That kind of reminds me of this one :
    I believe this one is worse !!! I thought he DIED from elbowing to temple ... I don't have a clue if he is alive or dead and also I don't know for fact about this one :

Kuk Sool Won is a traditional martial art, and not a sport martial art like karate. Fighting in competitions that aren't organized by the WKSA ( world kuk sool association ) is against the rules/principles of Kuk Sool Won and he was kicked out of the World Kuk Sool Association because of this fight.

6. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

He didnt die, He was just knocked out, He fought again in 2002 where he got a win, there is story about Goodridge though

In less than a month, Goodridge was wearing a fourth degree black belt over his gi, which he agreed to wear at the UFC event to represent the gym. Soon, he was ready for his octagon debut. In Gary's book, Gatekeeper: The Fighting Life of Gary "Big Daddy" Goodridge[​IMG], Gary discussed his motivation against Paul Herrera:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/1...ehind-gary-goodridges-knockout-debut-at-ufc-8

Dave76 and Sneaker like this.
  7. Dave76

Less than a month to get your 4th degree black belt!

Wait, I seem to remember posting a pic that fitted that...
    mc dojo sale.jpg

DeeD likes this.
  8. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Funny, but watching that fight tells me one thing, and that thing is impressive.
    Reading that quote on the 4th degree, tells me something different.

The bottom line is... if you are really, really good at one thing... well, you are really, really good unless someone counters it.

Dave76 and DeeD like this.
  9. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

That is one lucky 15 year old... That very easily could have killed him.

Sneaker likes this.
  10. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Yes very lucky ... and not sure if thats called bravery to compete against adult or parent's mistaken ...

11. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

In my life I've sparred (and sometimes fought) with color grades and various dan grades and one thing I can attest to is that rank doesn't always correlate with fighting ability. I'm less offended by him earning his 4th degree by beating down the big dog at the training hall and essentially "taking" his status/rank than I am by the "black belts" who basically couldn't/can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Before everyone gets all :cry:"Being a black belt isn't ALL about fighting!" I've said it before that you don't need to fight like a world champ, but there should be some demonstrable ability in free sparring. Then before everyone gets all :mad: "Sparring isn't a street fight, and we use all deadly zombie-apocalypse techniques that can't be used in sparring!" If you don't combine your deadly techniques with those mundane inherently less-lethal techniques you mostly don't get to execute them in the "street" scenario. I need to stop now because I'm having too much fun splicing in these smileys and making my broad statements less diplomatic and much more offensive than I usually do - I'm going to blame it on the smileys:sneaky:

Sherratt, DeeD, Caneman and 1 other person like this.
  12. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

LMAO... I was going to call you out on the emoticons... glad you did it before I could...
    It is a kinder, gentler RJ... being like the "soft" form of water... LOL

RJ Clark likes this.
  13. Dave76

I don't disagree with any of that. Being able to fight is of course the most important goal of any self defence based MA, traditional or modern. So yes, you could argue that it's less offensive than a belt going to someone who can't even fight. But I don't think to many people would argue that included with this kind of 'ranking' , a 4th dan, usually comes other attributes as well. Being able to demonstrate and teach all your styles forms, movements, attacks and defences, what ever they choose to call them:rolleyes:. Specifically a deep enough understanding of your styles techniques so as to be able to relate that as instruction in varying ways to suit the intended student. No matter how oddball the question from a beginner or intermediate pupil, I would think a 4th dan should have that answer for them. I can't see anyone being able to do that in under a month.
    Fighting is and should be IMHO, only one side of the coin with higher ranks.
    I actually like how judo approaches it, if I'm not mistaken, they can only obtain a rank of up to 3rd dan based on competition and or sparring skills. To reach higher ranks comes from the teaching and involvement in your branches community. I don't have a problem with that, as you say, as long as they have the ability to demonstrate a proficient level of skill at hard sparring and or some form of full contact competition as well.

RJ Clark likes this.
  14. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Anyone ever hear of the IMTSU? It is a great martial arts organization, used to hand people the ranks they want. Stands for:
    I Made This S__T Up.
    Sure legitimacy has categories... but it is clearly true that martial arts is the art of war. War includes fighting.

RJ Clark likes this.
  15. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Many times in amateur competitions high skilled fighters can fight in higher categories, the kid and his trainer probably asked the organization of the event to do that. I, myself have fought many times in higher belt and weight categories, no big deal so far.
    What happens is that there are a lot of jiu jitsu federations, so they be always holding "national', "state", "world" championships, but they are actually 'amateur' champioships. Of course a competition that allows people from other states and cities to participate is in a national level, but most of the times they aren't really official.
    Like one Taekwondo instructor here where I live, he claims to be two times world champion, but all he did was go to Uruguay and fight with foreigners.

Sneaker and RJ Clark like this.
  16. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I was a kid & a young teenager and compete in racquetball all adult divisions for 16 years ... I retired racquetball ... no more :)
    I am sure this does apply anyone on other sports depends how skillful they are ... there is a high school girl plays in high school team football with boys.