Some of you will call me a heretic, but....

Discussion in 'Ninjitsu' started by Daniel Miller, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Daniel Miller

Daniel Miller Warrior Instructor

If I'm not mistaken, according to the research I've done, authentic ancient ninjutsu was more concerned with the areas of unconventional warfare such as sabotage, disguise, breaking and entering, stealth movement, etc., and less with the hand-to-hand combat aspect, as there was already a basis for that in traditional japanese arts. Now, I know Hatsumi Sensei of the Bujinkan places an emphasis on deceptive techniques in his curriculum, but would it be fair to say that one could hypothetically gain the skills required of actual, historical ninja WITHOUT necessarily training under a system such as the Bujinkan? I believe it is, but if someone out there with more knowledge of ninjutsu than me has a different opinion, by all means, please explain why training must be undertaken through someone claiming to teach traditional ninjitsu.

3. Fin Smith

Fin Smith Disciple

Vldz and Dave76 like this.
  4. i know some of the theories about ninjutsu....yes i agree you can learn ninja tactics without studying ninjutsu....because the way of the ninja is training to be the secret agent.....

many FBI, CIA, CSIS agents posssess some of the same skills

some of the most awesome techniques of the ninja is: be invincible, invisible, control minds, read minds, forsee the future.....
    a great book i read on the ninja is called :shadow warrior....

the skills of the ninja pertain to the doctor, the lawyer, the soldier, agent, business man....

since 2008 i have been studying the way of the ninja, samurai, mma, karate.....and let me tell you....what an amazing journey it has been!

Sneaker and Daniel Miller like this.
  5. i would imagine that a modern special forces soldier has some of the same c.v. as a ninja.....infiltration,excellent fieldcraft ,above average intelligence. most s.f. work would be surveillence etc, avoiding contact if poss....BUT if needed to, weapon skills and fighting skills in general would be ******* excellent.:ninja:

Vldz likes this.
  6. Gone

Gone Guest

Too bad they couldn't see their own death in the future.

Sneaker and Enkidu like this.
  7. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

navy seals comes to mind.

Vldz, Sherratt and RJ Clark like this.
  8. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

You're spot on. If anything, the "traditional" ninjitsu is a time capsule for spy-type effectiveness for ancient Japan and most of it has little relevance for a modern shadow warrior. The essence of ninjitsu can be narrowed to not taking credit for your deeds, either good or bad, and remaining unknown and unseen. Train in whatever skills that enable you to remain "invisible" and that allow you to accomplish whatever goals you have as you maneuver behind the scenes.

Vldz, Sherratt, Enkidu and 1 other person like this.
  9. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

I also agree with you, Daniel. It was always my understanding that the actual hand-to-hand techniques were to be used as a last resort, because they only complicate things by drawing attention to you and jeopardizing the mission. Much better to just breeze in and then breeze out, like a fart in the wind. o_O

Vldz, Pedro, Dave76 and 3 others like this.
  10. with or without the smell?:yuck:

Sneaker, Vldz, Sherratt and 1 other person like this.
  11. and as invisible....not being noticed
    and by seeing the future....studying and predicting trends
    invinsible....planning all aspects of yur mission
    thought control is thru power of suggestion and wording....i do this as a teacher

12. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Electro-shock therapy works too

13. Ben

Ben Master

according to my research you're right. It was a system of espionage, not martial arts. It taught people quick and silent take-downs and assassination methods and well as all the other stealthy skills you mentioned.

14. Daniel Miller

wow, I haven't gotten any haters on here so far... that seems to be an accomplishment, if what I've seen elsewhere is to be believed. And it is refreshing to know that I'm not totally crazy for describing much of my fighting philosophy by calling it ninja philosophy when trying to explain it in the simplest form possible.

15. SifuPhil

If by "elsewhere" you mean Bullshido then yeah, that's understandable.

16. Daniel Miller

Lol, some followers of the Bujinkan have some pretty bad vitriol to spill concerning others who study ninja tactics and call themselves "ninja"

17. Dagon Akujin

Dagon Akujin Jimmy Rustler

The story I heard, long ago, in some article I read somewhere on the internet (which means it had to be true, since the internet said it was), said that:

Historically, the most kills performed by ninja were done by women.

Who would poison a guy.

After sleeping with him.

Because they would just pretend to be prostitutes.

I have no idea, but it does seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Vldz likes this.
  18. RJ Clark

Actually I read that the kunoichi would simply take the man marked for death Christmas shopping and the poor guy would commit seppuku to end his suffering. Or was I just thinking that at the outlet stores today?;)

Vldz, Aaron, Judah and 5 others like this.
  19. damn!!!my wife must be a ninja!!:cry:

Vldz, Judah, RJ Clark and 1 other person like this.
  20. SifuPhil

If the kunoichi stories are true, then I would also think that there's an un-sung chapter in ninjutsu that featured young boys in the same role, as they were quite popular at the time ...

Vldz and Judah like this.
  21. RJ Clark

You're probably quite right. But it would be hard to romanticize that and build the ninja mythology around that, so I'm sure it got swept under the carpet, er, I mean tatami.

Sneaker, Vldz, Sherratt and 2 others like this.