Some of you will call me a heretic, but....

Discussion in 'Ninjitsu' started by Daniel Miller, Nov 30, 2012.

1. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Gay young ninja adventure fan-fic? o_O

Man - talk about a specialty sub-genre ...

Vldz likes this.
  2. Daniel Miller

Daniel Miller Warrior Instructor

Oh wow, that would be super weird.... oh, I really hope people don't start writing that after seeing this...

Vldz and SifuPhil like this.
  3. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

*starts writing*

Hero Wakazashi was a special kind of ninja ...

:whistle:

Sneaker and Locutus like this.
  4. Daniel Miller

Sweet Moses, NO!! lol

Sneaker, Vldz, Sherratt and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Can I ask you about your knowledge of the Bujinkan....?

6. Daniel Miller

My knowledge comes from articles and documentaries and run-ins with bujinkan students elsewhere on the internet. It's admittedly a very limited knowledge, so if you have better knowledge, feel free to correct me.

7. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

The Bujinkan is comprised of 9 Ryu. There are 18 disciplines ranging from horsemanship, archery, espionage etc. Theoritically one may be able to learn some of the disciplines perhaps on your own. However, because most of our training comprises of taijutsu I feel there needs to be that interaction.

Aaron likes this.
  8. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I think you may be missing his point, which was gaining a ninja-like skill set without training under a school that has "traditional" or claims to be the "real" ninjitsu. Even with your brief post it can be seen, as I said previously, as a time capsule for spy-type effectiveness in ancient Japan and most of it has little relevance for a modern shadow warrior. It's quite ironic for "ninjitsu" to become this rigid, formalized thing that did not evolve with time when it was so effective by thinking/operating outside the box, so to speak. Horsemanship and archery and such not being high on the list of what would make a modern ninja or anyone else effective at accomplishing ninja-like missions or goals.

Vldz likes this.
  9. Dagon Akujin

Dagon Akujin Jimmy Rustler

I'd be totally into ninjitsu if they taught things like gun use, computer hacking, phone phreaking, and how to take advantage of our industrialized system (coupon hacking and creation) and government. Then it'd be totally cool.

Sneaker, Vldz, SifuPhil and 2 others like this.
  10. from what i've learned. hand to hand was just as important as the espionage/ unconventional warfare aspect. each particular school has their specialties that may differ, Similar to how the different old school Jujutsu dojos had varying hand to hand and weapons specialties. The Espionage / Cloak & Dagger aspect of Ninjutsu is highlighted and focused on so much, especially in entertainment that the common misconception is thats what historical ninja were only about.

and analogical way to look at it from what a senior Shihan told me is to think of the skillsets and ryuhas as pieces of cloth, then you have the needle and thread used to stitch the pieces of cloth together resulting in Ninjutsu.

They were not too much different from Samurai like entertainment portrays. Ninja also fought in open battlefield enviroments. They used rifles, custom-made pistols, shoulder cannons, mortars etc. My primary field in the Army is Quartermaster corps but Ive been attached to Calvary units and cross-trained with them, It was interesting cause a Calvary / Infantry soldier pretty much does the same things Ninja did. Similar weapons like the mortars, The way how they read the stars or map the scenery for land navigation is similar to Ninjutsu, the squad movements and camoflage/ concealment methods were similar also. Its like they make for a good modern day equivalent.

the Psi-Ops / Intelligence community of the military and Federal law enforcement are also a good example of modern day equivalent for that particular skillset.

11. Im from Bujinkan but I have friends from other schools I either correspond with or have trained with that assist in the research. Right, there are other systems, mostly in Japan that one could take besides Bujinkan or Takamatsuden arts where you can gain the skills.

a couple that come to mind off the top of my head is Togakushi-Ryu Ninjutsu, They are Iga ryu family and a distant cousin of Togakure-Ryu and Musashi-Ryu headed by Kiyomi Shibatta. Kiyomi's Great Grandfather worked as agent for the Japanese government and did some field work in England and with the Americans in the 1800s, Her lineage specializes in weapons crafting, shuriken, explosives, and firearms. On the entertainment side of things they do cultural tours and demos. When She gets through translating her documents to english I'll see if I can link them.

SifuPhil likes this.
  12. Daniel Miller

That would be awesome!! Anything you share would be much appreciated. And honestly, any light you could shed would be loved, as it would be nice to have a reliable source.

13. Daniel Miller

And I wasn't originally trying to say that the hand-to-hand WASN'T important, I was just trying to understand that the specific hand-to-hand techniques didn't matter as much.

14. Judah

Judah fights in tights

You fukin heretic! You must be burnt at the stake!!!!

Jokin, as far as I'm aware ninjutsu is the art of concealment, stealth camouflage etc. I read somewhere the actual fighting system used by the ninja was tai jitsu although I think that's a blanket term for any fighting system. So yeah I think you're right but then I'm not a practitioner.....

15. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Pretty sure that's bang on bro. I'm constantly fighting for my life in that regard.

Vldz and RJ Clark like this.
  16. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Let me expand on this some more. Of the nine schools 3 of these schools are ninpo/ninjutsu schools.

Yes the classical ninja's where the spys and assassins of fuedel japan. Similar to operators of the FBI and CIA, and other spec op units.

Some njnjas where samurai, and some samurai where ninja, the lines blur a lot during war time.

The word ninja contains two Japanese words, nin and ja. Nin means to endure, ja means man. Basically it means that the ninja would endure dishonor, shame, pain, hardship, whatever was needed in order to accomplish their objective of the mission, and would do whatever was necessary to complete it.

As to the comments on guns,the modern ninja must learn all weapons, and I know of a high ranking shihan that is doing gun work as well with his students.

Sure you could learn some of the concepts, but mastering them and being able to apply them properly takes proper instruction.

The skill sets of the ninja take years of training, they weren't foot soldiers, they were highly specailized, like today's green beret, navy seals, CIA, NSA, FBI, ect...

Vldz and SifuPhil like this.
  17. good points made but I disagree agree about the foot soldier part. Ninja skill sets were very diverse and ranged from foot soldier to other fields. Calvary / Infantry are like foot soldiers and they make for a good example of modern day equivalents. They use identical tactics and weapons.

Theres a common Hollywood misconception that a Feudal Era Ninja was some sort of Invincible Ryu Hayabusa Green Beret or Jason Bourne-esque CIA type. Ninja worked in all sorts of fields and occupations, They were Soldiers, Samurai, Kabuki Stage Actors, Giesha, Artists, Monks, Farmers, Teachers, Politicians etc.

18. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I agree with you somewhat.

What I was trying to get at was the ninja had to have some form of proficiency in all these fields. It doesnt mean they were good at all these fields.

They had to be able to adapt. This ability to be able to adapt along with the training in multiple areas is what made them great spies and assassins.

Yes Hollywood glamorizes spies, assassins, and ninjas. It is not the same as what actually happens.

19. Dagon Akujin

Dagon Akujin Jimmy Rustler

How is it nobody has yet mentioned the indisputable truth about ninjas?

And that is that ninjitsu is closely conserved, and that only a certain specific amount of ninjitsu can be available at any one point in time? I highly suggest that you all read up on this important and well researched law:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConservationOfNinjutsu
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_Evil_Marksmanship#Inverse_Ninja_Law
    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ninja/Laws

Vldz likes this.
  20. Daniel Miller

this youtube channel posted an interesting documentary, which i will copy into here: . It's got some things I found thought-provoking. Any thoughts, ninjutsu practitioners?