Soon to be Black Belt

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Locutus, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Been a long time since I have been on this forum but I can't contain myself much longer. I have less than six months before I will be taking my black belt test for Aikido. Just wanted to put that out there :). At that time I will have been doing Aikido for around two and a half years.

From when I started to now I have learned a lot but I have also learned how much I don't know. I am excited and even more enthusiastic to learn more and better myself.

3. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

That's fantastic Locutus. What does the black belt test involve. Is it over a few hours, a few days?

4. Locutus

Thanks, I am not sure on the exact details but basing on the other tests I have seen it can be up to a couple of hours. I guess it depends on the level of skill shown. I have seen some tests where the tested one is only asked to do a few moves which cover the basics and other tests where the person being tested was really grilled. The person being really grilled was generally not as good as the person who had a light exam.

I intend my exam to be a light one :)

As for what's involved, the usual ceremony of coming out onto the mat and paying respect to the testers. They then call out what movements should be done. This could be doing all of a series of counters to a specific attack or to do a number of different techniques against random attacks. These attacks can also involve weapons. I believe the multiple attacks from multiple people happen at the higher dans.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  5. SJK

SJK Initiate

congrats!!!! well done.

Locutus likes this.
  6. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Great work. All I will say two things,

First: "Do Not Forget Where You Came From!!"
    Sounds pretty basic. But, most BB's are guilty of just that. The forget who they were when they first walk through the door of a school or met with their teach in a field.

Second: "Now Your Real Training Can Begin"
    Even after years of dedication and training to attain 1st dan. You must understand that a 1st Dan is Still A Beginner. You finally have the "ingredients" (flour, eggs, salt, sugar, etc.). So, now it is up to you to decide "what you are going to make" (a cake? cookie? a loaf of bread?). Which is determined by the amount of Yourself you are going to put into the art.

Eric Dufurrena and Locutus like this.
  7. Locutus

I totally agree with everything you say Master of Nothing. When we have new students in and I am showing them the basic stuff I vividly remember how I was at the start. With that thought in mind I keep my attitude in (I hope) the right frame of mind.

Master of Nothing likes this.
  8. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Congratulations.
    Yes, remember. It's your attitude, not your aptitude that delegates your altitude.

Locutus and Master of Nothing like this.
  9. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

awesome, well done, now your learning begins

Locutus and Master of Nothing like this.
  10. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Good luck with your test, ya wrist twister! ;)

Locutus likes this.
  11. wizcool c

wizcool c Initiate

Congratulations, keep up the good work;]

Locutus likes this.