Stupid 'Art VS Art' Demonstrations

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by Kevin, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Because I regularly watch MMA and martial arts videos on YouTube, they regularly recommend obscure martial arts videos to me.

I frequently see these martial arts demonstrations uploaded by people. Clearly, what they are trying to do is show the effectiveness of their art against another art, however they normally fail miserably by using someone who doesn't know anything about the art.

Take this video for example (that was recommended to me 30 minutes ago). It's a video showing Aikido against Boxing. Well, it's supposed to be. After 2 seconds you quickly realise the "boxer" has never boxed a day in his life. He is just walking forward pushing his arm forward, making no attempt to actually hit the guy (I suspect he's an Aikido guy who was told to box for the demonstration).

If a martial artist wants to show the effectiveness of their art, they need to bring in someone from another art and use it against them. If not, the whole thing is pointless.

I realise that most demos are kind of like this, as the demonstrators do not want to hurt each other. However, if you are trying to emphasise the strengths of your art (or the ineffectiveness of another art), you need to ensure the other person is skilled in that art.

Kev

dmach likes this.
  3. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Yeah, I don't know what he's doing but it sure isn't classical or even combat aikido - more like slap-fighting with a few chin-nas thrown in ...

4. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

I thought the same.

SifuPhil likes this.
  5. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Even worse are the "professional" foreign art v. native art fights you see on youtube. When you are in Thailand, the high level Thai fighter fights some scrub dressed in a gi who is claimed to represent TKD or Karate and of course the Thai fighter mops the floor with the guy. Go to Korea and the TKD mops the floor with the foreign fighter, go to China and Sanda always wins, go to Japan and Karate always wins, etc. The backyard demo type stuff people are more able to dismiss, but when they see a stadium full of people watching two people fight in a ring (of course they know nothing of the relative skill each has in his art and these things are almost always set up to be a mismatch in favor the native martial art), they think it means something.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

At least they are playing some AWESOME 80's music (that SifuPhil remembers telling those damned kids to turn down and stay off his damned lawn back in the 80's... thankfully his hearing has degraded now to point where he cannot tell that the music is too loud)

Aaron, SifuPhil, Caneman and 2 others like this.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

90% of the fights in Thailand (particularly when tourists are around) are staged. Even the ones not involving farang. You can bet that one of the guys has been told to take a dive in a particular round.

8. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Yeah.. I always box with my hands at my chest level, and when I punch I always throw slow single punches and leave my arms extended.

DeeD, Kevin and Pedro like this.
  9. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

yea I think its always cool watching these vids even though 90% of them are someone skilled vs unskilled, Im lucky I get the oppertunity to spar with guys from various backgrounds often so its good to see the weaknesses you might have against another style and try nullify it and exploit their weaknesses

keeps it interesting

10. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

WHO'S a prawn?!? :mad:

And NO, I'm neither proud NOR deflated!!!

Enkidu likes this.