Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Ben, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Ben

Ben Master

Most of us have or are working on styles. Maybe we should have an "Own Style" room?

3. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

You mean as in "self-created" styles?

Good idea, but would you be opening a can of worms? I trust the members here to behave, but the temptation to snipe and snark about the perceived shortcomings might be more than you want ... just a thought. But it would be interesting to see the combinations that come up.

Ben likes this.
  4. Dpendleton

Dpendleton Warrior Monk

Do eeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttt!!!!!! Just moderate it hard.

Ben likes this.
  5. SifuPhil

... I'm getting strangely excited now ... o_O

Dave76, Ben and Eric M. Miller like this.
  6. Dpendleton

Dpendleton Warrior Monk

Oh boy I think I might have worded it wrong..........Naw.

Ben likes this.
  7. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

I think that most of the people on here aren't thinking about starting a new style. I would hope that those who are thinking about starting their own new style, would have a very good amount of knowledge of martial arts before trying to start something new! They even got on Bruce Lee when he started Jeet Kune Do! If you think that by just inventing a new form you have a new style, you better go back to the drawing board! Think before you act! Master Fahy

8. Ben

Ben Master

I wo
    I would think that those who are currently working on new styles haven't just "invented a new form" Master Fahy. We all know what it takes for martial arts, and I think those of us working on them aren't just going into it half-cocked.

Dpendleton likes this.
  9. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Ben, I would hope not! I just think that who ever starts a new style should be well versed in martial arts with years of training. Someone who has been around for a long time and not some young inexperienced black belt or color belt! When I was younger, I too thought about starting a new style but, then I came to my senses and realized that the world has enough fighting styles where one would only be copying something from some other style and adding something else from another style that is already out there. Master Fahy

10. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

11. SifuPhil

Although I love The Stylistics, how are they a "new style"? R&B and soul - those genres were already in existence when they formed their group. Sure they did it extremely well and a little differently, but they were still confined to the existing styles ...

Mr.Bond likes this.
  12. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I don't claim to have developed a new "style" or martial art partly because I don't like the term "style" to me it means trying to be a carbon copy of someone else, when I taught most students tried to fight like myself or my brother even if they simply didn't have the tools for it. As my path through martial arts has progressed so has my personal "style" it's as unique to me as my signature although not really anything different from any other's "style" I mean we all sign our signatures with a pen right? Same as we all punch with our fists and kick with our legs. I call what I do taekwondo as that's what I've done for the longest time although it really doesn't look much like what most people think of as TKD. Is it a "new style"? No. It's MY personal interpretation and adaptation of what I was taught.
    When someone claims they've created a "new" style I can't help but think its merely repackaging something that was always there, maybe a change in sparring rules; that's pretty much what changed my personal style, the different rule sets I played under, combining them and trying to blend them seamlessly. Of course it doesn't always work out the way you plan but that's the nature of the beast.

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

I personally feel everyone should train in their art with a view to making it fit them, rather than trying to make themselves fit the art, as with my copycat students, they couldn't ever fight like me simply because they weren't me. They needed to work out what worked for them rather than copying what I was doing, of course I tried to help them, but in many ways its like sending children out to fend for themselves, no matter how well you prepare them, they'll always try doing things the way you did then first and may still need encouragement to help find their own footing.

Kevin likes this.
  13. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

To reiterate what Judah has said, everyone has their own style. Martial arts should be adapted to fit your own size, strength and limitations.

I really don't think anyone who is still learning should be 'working on their own style'. The whole concept is absurd to me.

If you have been training in an art for 15+ years and have crossed trained in other arts sufficiently in order to see the deficiencies in your primary art, then you may be in a good position to create your own style. If you have only trained in one art, to me, the idea of creating your own style is crazy. Even crazier is the idea of someone who has only trained for 4 or 5 years creating their own style. You may think you know everything but believe me, you don't.

Would creating a new style be absolutely necessary or should martial artists be instead be encouraged to cross train in other arts to see what style fits them?

In my opinion, 99.9% of people who create a new 'style' are doing so in order to create a new organisation and run things themselves. If someone learns Karate and then learns Judo, I have no doubt they could create a new style based on both these arts. This raises the question - would a new student be better learning this new hybrid style or learning Karate and Judo separately?

I'm aware that creating new styles is important for the evolution of martial arts though I do strongly feel that in most situations, it just isn't necessary.

I'm going to start a new style based on boxing and foxhunting.....damn it...looks like someones beat me to it :)

400px-April_Hunter_boxing.jpg

p.s. We already have a Hybrid category here. I'm happy to add a general hybrid discussion room if people want to discuss cross training ideas etc. Though I doubt there will be lots of these discussions at the moment so they may be better placed in the general room until more discussions on the subject arise.

Ben, SifuPhil and Judah like this.
  14. SifuPhil

DAAAYYYYAAAMMMMM!!!

I refereed a foxy-boxing match a few years ago, but the contestants looked a little different ...

[​IMG]

Kevin likes this.
  15. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Looks like you lost a few pounds since reffing that match!

SifuPhil likes this.
  16. SifuPhil

Well, basically the girls worked it off me ... :eek: