Sumo wrestlers

Discussion in 'Sumo' started by angie828, Jun 5, 2012.

1. angie828

angie828 Disciple

I hope that this isn't a dumb question but do Sumo wrestlers have to be huge? I have seen several on tv and a few other places and they are always huge. Is this a requirement to be a sumo wrestler, or can an average sized guy be one?

Deborah likes this.
  3. Andrew_

Andrew_ Initiate

Well I don't think that being huge is the necessary condition to be a sumo wrestler, but we hardly find exception. Huge body helps them in the game and give them support as well. Unless their body will be huge, they wouldn't be counted as a tough sumo wrestler.

Deborah likes this.
  4. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

You would be surprised at how healthy and strong they really are....deceptive in that way. and not all have to be huge in the biggest loser looking way, there was a sumo school a few years back in Japan that had a black guy that was almost nothing but muscles surrounded by some big body weight and he was lead student, Sempi I believe.

Deborah likes this.
  5. angie828

angie828 Disciple

I never really thought of them as healthy. I know that they are strong since they are pushing guys the same size or bigger around. I guess if you were really dedicated to the sport you would want to be healthy, and I do believe you there.

6. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

you would have to read more about them and their way of life, the diets, and daily activities.

7. angie828

angie828 Disciple

Yes I will have to look into this. I guess I just assumed which I should not, that they do not eat healthy or take care of themselves. But I guess I was very wrong.