Teach a kung fu guy what it means to be a Krav Maga guy.

Discussion in 'Krav Maga' started by Dagon Akujin, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Dagon Akujin

Dagon Akujin Jimmy Rustler

The words I put in the quote are a meme called "internet tough guy: Navy Seal". There are thousands of versions of it, and new ones are made all the time (NSFW: bad words)--
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/internet-tough-guy-gorilla-warfarenavy-seal-copypasta

It's a common internet joke, used to be humorous, and used as a response when someone is talking about how tough they are (I switched it to make it talking about how tough the OTHER PEOPLE are that Bond knows, since he kept referencing others).

It's a joke that is central to internet culture.

2. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Overall, I don't care if you guys tear each others opinions apart or whatever else you each present. But the main issue is if he's actually threatening your life or if you decided to run with it and used the quote function to fill it in with your own words.

EDIT: I'm not a quick typer, your response was in as I was working on mine. But I'm also not a big internet browsing type guy. I find what interests me and that's about it. So I didn't know it was pulled and paraphrased from something else and apparently neither did Mr Bond. So perhaps in the future that choice of quoting someone with something they didn't actually say should be avoided

3. Dagon Akujin

I didn't feel as though Bond was tearing opinions apart, or presenting much of anything, which is why I called him out on it. I'm still waiting for answers to a lot of ideas, which I think Bond could answer if he took the time to read the posts and type something out of his own experiences and ideas (in general internet culture, it is considered "rude" to only post about what others have written without adding your own ideas to the topic, unless you are asked for sources on something you have already been talking about).
    If I post some LOLcats, will you guys think I invented them ;)

[​IMG]

Because let me tell ya, I will be infamous for posting lots of internet jokes. ;)

[​IMG]

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Well, just keep it in mind that guys like me who aren't as internet savvy might not "get" an internet culture joke like the killer SEAL paraphrasing. *sigh* I guess I'm going to have to do some cut & paste search every time when I think something is odd to see if I'm missing out on a joke.o_O

5. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

I was going to ignore you, but why did you say that I wrote what you wrote which listed below? Not only did not write it, I don't go around using this language. Up to now, I have to say that I met some great folks in this forum. They know who they are and may have some innocent differences here and there, but I have seen the attack and childlike attitude you have displayed.

I posted links appropriate to YOUR question. I was trying help YOU with your question.

NEVER WOULD I WRITE THIS:

What the f*** did you just f***ing say about me, you little martial artist? I’ll have you know my Hebrew Trainer graduated top of his synagog in the Navy Seals, and he's been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and he has over 300 confirmed kills. He is trained in gorilla warfare and he's the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to him (and therefore me too) but just another target. I will wipe you the f*** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before outside of Israel, mark my f***ing words. You think you can get away with saying that s*** to me over the Internet? Think again, f***er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of IDF across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re f***ing dead, kid. The IDF can be anywhere, anytime, and my Krav Maga captain can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with his bare hands. Not only am Kravers extensively trained in unarmed combat, but they have access to the entire arsenal of the Israeli Marine Corps and they will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable butt off the face of the continent, you little s***. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your f***ing tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you g-ddamn idiot. I will s*** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re f***ing dead, kiddo.

HAVE A GOOD LIFE, I AM NOT GOING WASTE MY TIME WITH YOU....

To my other friends here, just wanted you to know, I did not write what he wrote....

6. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

I have NEVER SEEN the attack....I meant to say.

7. Dagon Akujin

[​IMG]

^^^^But thanks again for not reading anything that was posted:

8. Dagon Akujin

How about we start this over again and we get into some of the questions I've posted. I'll number some and post them again, as a new start to the thread:

1. What makes good KM good? What makes bad KM bad?
    2. Is most KM training just RBSD junk? I find RBSD to be total crap, because it is setting up fake "situations" and teaching "moves" that will not always work if the situation is changed a tiny bit. Most of the videos posted thus-far have been RBSD territory. It's the whole "Grab my wrist... no not that way... no with the other hand... no do it this way or this isn't going to work." How much of KM gets away from "roleplay" moves? (The "flow" drills get away from this, and I'm curious about how these work and what is taught with them).
    3. How does KM make things accessable for a smaller/weaker person to defeat (or escape from) a larger/stronger attacker? What are the "answers" it gives to make things work? If these are learning different "moves", then I'd say things are in dangerous territory because moves are meaningless (one of the books talked about "techniques" as only a starting-point, but meaningless in the end, which I believe is good).
    4. Do you have an example of something that works for someone who is small? And do you have an explanation of the how and why, and how KM teaches that how and why?
    5. How is explosive power trained?
    6. How do people train for the emotional/psychological stuff? That is interesting, because a conversation about it with students is pointless, so I'm curious what KM does for training it.
    7. You guys say you only need minimal practice and review???: one of the dangers of RBSD is that people do something 10 times, then think it will work whenever they need it. If you look at say, BJJ training, the difference between a bluebelt and a blackbelt is NOT how many moves they know-- it's how well they apply the same moves. Same with Judo (where many competitors will practice not 50 different techniques for a competition, but instead just focus on getting really really good at two or three). How do people get really good at something so that it will work no matter what?
    8. Do you guys considered boxing and wrestling to be Martial Arts? Because if you think that it's belts, gis, etc. that make a "martial art" then I'd say my Kung Fu school is less martial art than KM because KM has belts.
    9. I know you guys do fitness work, because that will help anyone in any situation. Do you do anything with posture, body awareness, hip position, energy transference, or anything else that helps anybody with any situation?

9. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I was a little confused when I read this thread at first.

The response that Dagon posted about Bond seems to have been a joke - a reference to an internet meme.

http://knowyourmeme.com/forums/just...r-300-confirmed-kills-i-am-trained-in-gorilla

I assume this was made in jest but for those of us who do not know the meme, it was very confusing. Regardless, I don't think it's appropriate to suggest that Bond would say something like that, when we know he wouldn't- joke or not.

Try and stay on topic and keep the mudslinging to a minimum :)

Kevin

RJ Clark likes this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

p.s. keep posting the funny pictures Dagon. I look at plain text all day so quite bizarrely, a random picture of a gorilla will cheer me up :)

11. Dagon Akujin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin likes this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I think we need to create an internet meme course for members before they're allowed to post here :)

RJ Clark and Bonnell74 like this.
  13. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

I agree with Kevin on this one for sure! I was totally confused as to what the hell happened until the meme part was explained. I did not know what to think and was blown away that someone on here would say something like that since we are all supposed to be respectful martial artists, or at least trying to work toward self actualization at some point. Anyway, thanks for clearing that whole thing up, makes a lot more sense now. I do think that Dagon has some very valid points and they are the same questions that I have about Krav Maga as well. I think that things may have gotten a little personal for a minute, but hopefully we can look past that part (since we now understand the meme thing) and maybe someone can answer the questions as they were listed if in fact he or she knows the answers. I also think that Mr. Bond was trying to answer those questions with the links as they were links to the professionals that actually do Krav Maga; maybe it was just not the format that may have been expected.

Dave76 and RJ Clark like this.
  14. Dagon Akujin

Still waiting for some answers to these questions. Anybody... anybody... Bueller?

Locutus and Bonnell74 like this.
  15. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

Dagon that was pretty funny there with the Ben Stein clip! I am curious as to some of the answers to some of those questions myself. I am going to go check out a school tomorrow night if I can make it happen and maybe I can shed some light on some of those questions by watching the instructor and students in action. I will be able to tell if it is just another Tae Bo place, or if there is some validity to the one here in my area. Not sure about the rest of the schools, but at least I will have an idea of what Vanguard Krav Maga is if I go check it out. Sorry I can't help you more man!

16. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

17. Gabe Lozano

Gabe Lozano Initiate

I haven't read this entire thread, so someone might have given the same answer I am giving:
    As far as teaching you to "be a Krav Maga guy", I would suggest that you: A) keep an open mind, and B) not think of the term "Krav Maga" as anything more than a label, not something to get hung up on.
    The key to something like Krav Maga is that it's based on neutralizing the threat your opponent poses as quickly and efficiently as possible. It utilizes the instinctive reactions that a person has (e.g. grabbing the arms of the person choking you, raising your hands to block an incoming strike, grabbing for the gun that's being pointed at you) to create a simple yet effective counterattack.
    Like any art, it requires practice to become second nature, but it creates an extremely practical, efficient approach to real-world threats.
    For me, the fact that it teaches only what is practical and efficient against real-world threats and situations is what drew me to it.

Mr.Bond and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  18. Dagon Akujin

Mind answering any of the questions I posted? I'm just trying to figure out more, since in reality, all martial arts aim to "be effective", "be practical", be efficient", etc. etc. etc. (Even BJJ was started with that in mind, as it was for a smaller, weaker person to defend themselves against a larger tough guy. You could argue that it now falls more into "sport mindset", but that's not what originally lead to it.)

Here were the questions, if you wouldn't mind a little time to answer one, any, or all of them. ;)

------------------------

1. What makes good KM good? What makes bad KM bad?
    2. Is most KM training just RBSD junk? I find RBSD to be total crap, because it is setting up fake "situations" and teaching "moves" that will not always work if the situation is changed a tiny bit. Most of the videos posted thus-far have been RBSD territory. It's the whole "Grab my wrist... no not that way... no with the other hand... no do it this way or this isn't going to work." How much of KM gets away from "roleplay" moves? (The "flow" drills get away from this, and I'm curious about how these work and what is taught with them).
    3. How does KM make things accessable for a smaller/weaker person to defeat (or escape from) a larger/stronger attacker? What are the "answers" it gives to make things work? If these are learning different "moves", then I'd say things are in dangerous territory because moves are meaningless (one of the books talked about "techniques" as only a starting-point, but meaningless in the end, which I believe is good).
    4. Do you have an example of something that works for someone who is small? And do you have an explanation of the how and why, and how KM teaches that how and why?
    5. How is explosive power trained?
    6. How do people train for the emotional/psychological stuff? That is interesting, because a conversation about it with students is pointless, so I'm curious what KM does for training it.
    7. You guys say you only need minimal practice and review???: one of the dangers of RBSD is that people do something 10 times, then think it will work whenever they need it. If you look at say, BJJ training, the difference between a bluebelt and a blackbelt is NOT how many moves they know-- it's how well they apply the same moves. Same with Judo (where many competitors will practice not 50 different techniques for a competition, but instead just focus on getting really really good at two or three). How do people get really good at something so that it will work no matter what?
    8. Do you guys considered boxing and wrestling to be Martial Arts? Because if you think that it's belts, gis, etc. that make a "martial art" then I'd say my Kung Fu school is less martial art than KM because KM has belts.
    9. I know you guys do fitness work, because that will help anyone in any situation. Do you do anything with posture, body awareness, hip position, energy transference, or anything else that helps anybody with any situation?

19. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

The interesting thing with all these discussions as to what Krav Maga is or is not, or what BJJ is or is not, or what any other art is or is not is the irony of the whole thing. As I understand it, the old Samurai Japanese Ju Jitsu type fighting was the originator for most of the martial arts we find out there. That stuff was battle tested and had everything in it; joint manipulation, throws, grappling, punches, kicks, escapes, and the philosophy behind it. Along the way a bunch of people like Kano, Usheiba, Gracie, Ed Parker, and numerous other people decided that they could take away from the old Japanese Ju Jitsu and make it better. The funny thing is that now, American Kenpo is adding grappling and Gracie Ju Jitsu is adding striking and so on. They are adding the things they took out to make them better, which is bringing them right back to where it all started. Just something I was thinking about after reading this thread and thought was kind of interesting if you really sit back and think about it.

Franco likes this.
  20. Gabe Lozano

Gabe Lozano Initiate

Dagon Akujin: It seems my explanation wasn't specific enough to answer your questions. I would like to answer them, but I am not a qualified instructor or teacher; I am only a student, so my explanation comes from my incomplete understanding. The best way, by far, to answer any of your questions would be to ask the KMF (Krav Maga Federation) and KMG (Krav Maga Global). I'm sure they could answer all of your questions.

RJ Clark likes this.