Teaching Kids and teenagers BJJ

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu' started by Shane Galvin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Shane Galvin

Shane Galvin Initiate

Im going to be taking a kids bjj class for a while, I have taught teenagers in their mid to late teens before, but kids seems totally different to me, does anyone have any experience or suggestions on class topics or just general suggestions that may help me out a bit. If you do, I would appreciate it.

3. Woofski

Woofski Initiate

The best advice I got about kids is that they have the attention span of a moth. (generalisation)
    So keep activities simple and short.
    Explain and demo the drill and run them through it quickly and they will get better with repetition rather then detailed analysis.
    Hope that helps.

4. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

My rule of thumb for teaching kids is one minute of attention span per year they have been alive. If you are teaching six year olds, don't do one thing for more than six minutes before moving on to something else. Lots of games work well. I try to focus on one attribute for the class - like, speed, balance, or power. I focus the whole class on that so they have a theme to follow.

Shane Galvin and dmach like this.
  5. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

If you are teaching little kids, you can't use traditional training techniques. Besides the short attention span, they will not get the why's and where fores of all the techniques, stances etc. Using games is the best bet, but disguise the training as games. For example, playing tag, but they can only move through the stances to evade each other. Or to make it more BJJ... Simon says Sprawl. Simon says, on your back, simon says stand up and so on.

Shane Galvin likes this.
  6. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Crazy Horse! Best game ever!!!....er:oops: ...I mean kids game, best kids game ever!

Shane Galvin and Judah like this.
  7. Ben

Ben Master

Kids generally want to do Martial Arts for fun, and in those beggining years you gotta find the happy medium between discipline and childishness. When I was a kid starting out in Shito-Ryu Karate 7 years ago I found 3 main things bored me:

-Explanation without practicality. It's always good to get students to follow your movements WHILE you're explaining. Especially kids, this keeps them involved and intent. Keeps them in the class atmosphere as well so they actually pay attention.

-Too much repitition without reward. Even though I believe repitition is the supporting wall of martial arts mastery, kids get bored of it. To keep them focused, make sure they get a regular break, chuck in some different ways of doing the same thing. Like "do this technique slow" then "do it fast" then "do it with a partner" then "do it with your eyes closed." and make sure you emphasise the good, while criticising the bad. then reward them with a game of poison ball or something.

-Solo training. Kids are generally energetic little shunters. The best way to keep em interested is to have practice with interaction. Let that young energy flow between two little kiddies through some light drills, some sparring and you'll have the little tykes eating out of your hand. And as they grow, they'll bond to you and soon enough you shall be their martial god :)

Hope this helps!

Shane Galvin likes this.
  8. Judah

Judah fights in tights

This here's the best advice given so far. I used to teach 6-12 year olds. You gotta keep it short and sweet and keep em active. At that age they got so much energy and they learn best through actions rather than explanations.

9. Shane Galvin

Shane Galvin Initiate

Thanks for the suggestions guys. All very helpful.