Technique Reality Check

Discussion in 'Grappling Martial Arts' started by RJ Clark, May 15, 2013.

1. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

[​IMG]
    For all grapplers, whether you admit it or not, we all have our "favorite" techniques that we most often use to tap guys out (or break/choke out on the street). Yes, there are the rare savants who will submit 40 of their peers 40 different ways, but most of us have a half dozen to a dozen "go to" techniques. So why have the massive toolbox? One reason is it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. Another is to cycle in some new techniques to be your current favs for tourneys. But the main reason is to be able to pass them all on to others and let them pick and choose their favorites for street and sport. So to anyone frustrated by learning the massive amount of techniques, strategy & tactics, etc of any given grappling system remember you're not just learning all that stuff for you, it's legacy training and what you'll be able to pass on to others.(y)

Pedro, Vldz, Sabomnim Dan and 6 others like this.
  3. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I agree and disagree at the same time. "I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times." What you practice is what you will be good at, and what you are good at is what you will use. However, in BJJ, there is a lot of similarities throughout the art, as it is a lot of techniques flowing off of a few principles. Still, you will be much better at the techniques you feel you do well with and practice with more. In a striking art, the difference is much more marked.

RJ Clark likes this.
  4. RJ Clark

Of course BJJ practitioners would love to split hairs and claim to utilize hundreds of techniques to finish guys. But in reality, to tap out a peer (read that as someone with comparable skills to you) they will use their current go to techniques. That may also mean what their favorite position is to flow with submissions, whether a guard variation, side control, north-south, etc. This is why when you see an event's adult advanced level (not in the lower levels where sandbagging is all too common) many times the top dog in each weight class and absolute will typically be beating guys with a limited amount of their own favs, sometimes even just one technique/single technique variations. Again, not accounting for the occasional savant, although a world-class guy "slumming it" at East Bumblefuck's small local event is sandbagging also...

Eric Dufurrena and MattCMMA like this.
  5. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

I see this no different than stand-up art techniques... or weapon techniques. Everyone picks their "go to's" and only adjusts if those aren't working.
    Maturity and experience let you pull out the Swiss Army knife corkscrew when the time is right... and recognizing it faster as their weakness.
    With position, transition, submission... it is equally written... position, transition, strike. Position and transition rule them all.

Aaron and Mr.Bond like this.
  6. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Also, when competing, I'll favour one side more than the other. Speaking about it in class once, my instructor said that back in the 90's when he first started, it was common place to not even train both sides, but rather focus on drilling your 'good side'.
    Mike Tysons quote about game plans going out the window once you get punched in the face, can be applied to bjj in a sense. I'll go in to a comp with having focused on two of everything, 'Noah's Ark' training. Two takedowns, two sweeps, etc. But the reality is, that all goes out the window when you get dble legged and your sweeps aren't working.........

That's when having a bag of techniques to draw upon comes in handy.

7. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Nail on head.

8. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

crazy thing is look at Rhonda Rousey same finisher every single time, people even know its coming but still cant stop her, crazy stuff, definately an exception to the rule

dmach, Eric Dufurrena and Locutus like this.
  9. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

True, but the finish is a bit different each time. Like on the last win, when someone has their own arm that tight, usually you have to sit up on your opponent and roll around to the other side, trying with the other arm, but she instead got a different grab on the same arm when she sat up, then just went back down. Even though the finish appears the same, the minor variations are what make her so effective, she seems to be able to adjust to any situation.

DeeD, RJ Clark and Dave76 like this.
  10. RJ Clark

I knew you'd agree with me eventually, haha! ;)

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  11. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

There is a set of "rules" known as Murphy's Laws of combat...

http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-war.html

It is surprising how many can be applied to us, such as...

1. If its stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid
    2. No Plan ever survives contact with the enemy and
    3. Once you are in a fight, its way to late to wonder if its a good idea.
    I have to agree with RJ in the point that it is better to have a certain technique/skill and not need it than need it and not have it. And from the instructional point of view, you DO need to be able to teach them all. Just because it doesn't work for or "fit" you, doesn't mean it won't fit someone else. Plus, it helps to be familiar with a technique if you are going to fight against it.

Dave76 and Caneman like this.
  12. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

13. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

I supposed we all just have to be wise and reasonable enough to balance between Quantity and Quality.

Grappler with absolutely brilliant "one" technique at the expense of everything else will be one trick pony. Grappler that is jack of all trade but the master of none can often find him/herself in difficult situation since s/he is not particularly good at any one thing.

... to put thing in rather extreme perspective.

I agree with RJ that picking and choosing the techniques that works for you and excel in them is the way to go.