The Benefits Of The Apple Peel

Discussion in 'Healthy Eating & Nutrition' started by Kevin, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

There was a great show on last month which explored healthy eating and lifespan. They looked at low calorie diets and fasting etc and examined how they affected key organs such as the liver, heart and kidneys.

One of the diets shown was the CRON diet. The American guy who was on it was in his 50s but looked like he was in his 30s. He was making his breakfast and the guy asked him why he was only adding the apple peel and throwing the rest away.

apple-peel.jpeg

I wasn't aware of this but apparently 95% of the nutrients from an apple are found from the peel. The apple itself is mainly sugar.

This could be common knowledge though I thought I would share it for those that didn't know :)

Kevin

p.s. I am not 100% sure if the above fact is true but couldn't find anything via Google to suggest it wasnt. If you can, please share the link :)

Kevin

Enkidu likes this.
  3. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I'm not 100% certain but my old mum always said most if the nutrition was in the skin. Said the same about potatoes too which is why we'd always have potato skins in our mashed potatoes.

4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Mixing the skin in with mashed potatoes sounds great (or mashed tatties as my Mum would say!!). These things are probably comon knowledge but I had honestly never heard about it before.

I have read that apples are apparently better at waking you up than coffee, no doubt in part to all the natural sugar in them.

5. shyquille graves

shyquille graves Warrior Monk

it sucks i cant fresh fruit

6. Judah

Judah fights in tights

You being serious? Why not?

7. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

freaking peaches man. love me some peaches

8. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Peaches? We don't need no stinkin peaches....

Oh wait that was another thread! Lol!

SifuPhil and Eric M. Miller like this.
  9. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

watermelons!!! not the skin so much but the rest of it :hungry: sad we didnt have a watermelon season this year :cry: apples are also great if your feeling dehydrated as well

10. shyquille graves

i thinks its because of the stuff they put on there so they dont rot or anything only thing i can eat fresh are mangos but pretty much anything else will make my throat itch and it started with apples and it sucks cause i love fuit

11. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

How about.... the coconut peel? :D

12. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Why not try washing them before eating them?

Sherratt likes this.
  13. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Cos they have shells.... The clue is in the name cocoNUT

14. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

guess most of my jokes are only funny in portuguese :(

Sherratt, shinpatan and Judah like this.
  15. shyquille graves

i do that but whatever chemical they use forthe prserve the fruit longer the fruit aborbs it and they must spray it alot

16. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

My son has a severe allergy to fresh apples, but not to apple pie, applesauce or any other processed apple product. In his case, it's definitely the skin that triggers his reaction.

So, as is usual in our wonderful medical paradigm, a natural reaction to a poisonous substance applied to natural products is termed an "allergy" and they want to prescribe a few medications.

Bite me.

17. Judah

Judah fights in tights

The ones you get in supermarkets are sprayed with shit loads it's true. Might be worth peeling them or if possible get them direct from a small grower... Although I know that's not easy.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  18. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

We get farmers markets here a lot, and if you have them, use them! I consider you lucky if you have a problem and can detect the pesticides and such, because you are forced to eat more healthy!

19. shinpatan

shinpatan Disciple

I can't imagine a life without fruit! My aunt used to eat the peel of oranges, she told me that the peel held more nutrients than the fruit itself. I tried it once. Just once.

On a different note, my favorite apple has to be the Pink Lady. Or Honey crisp.

20. shyquille graves

yea i might be able to do that but even the smaller growers spray those chemicals on the fruit and it really really sucks

21. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I think it's time to grow an apple tree in your back yard bro :D