The Boxer vs The Fighter

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Mikey, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Mikey

Mikey Grasshoppa

I always like to bring this topic into discussion. I beleive in there being a big difference between being a fighter and a boxer for example if we go back to the trinidad and de la hoya era....de la hoya was a boxer and trinidad was a fierce fighter. Where the boxer fights with strtegy and technique the fighter fights with heart and passion. I remember watching thqt fight and it was apparent that de la hoya out boxed the fighter trinidad. what do ya think about this boxer vs fighter theory?

3. Gone

Gone Guest

You can still fight with passion and good technique and tactics.

I believe this to be true.

Your techniques are simply tools to help you fight with passion better.

4. Mikey

Mikey Grasshoppa

i totally agree but when it comes to an olympic boxer whos sole purpose is gaining points vs taking out the opponent then what? thtas what i was getting at....you have those that have that fight about them and those that box the fight...if you catch my drift...

5. Gone

Gone Guest

Maybe we should bring back them old Roman gladiatorial death matches.

"Maybe" ?

No, we SHOULD! We should have never have even stopped!

Adam Bendell and Mikey like this.
  6. Mikey

Mikey Grasshoppa

and yes in all competition as in boxing iits about points i guess what im trying to say some embrace the art while others embrace the sport....so you have the warrior and the athelete.....

7. Mikey

Mikey Grasshoppa

im sure we can figure out a way to bring it back....:sneaky:

8. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

There has always been 2 types of guys in the boxing rings, technical vs. puncher. Everyone says they respect the technical boxers, whilst everyone loves to talk about the power of a real puncher, like Mike Tyson. You tend to see more technical guys in the lower weights, as they generally don't have the power to become punchers, and in the heavy weights you really don't see a whole lot of technical boxers, as they tend to get KTFO before they can win with points, and it is hard to move a 250lb body around the ring for over half an hour. Big guys do have cardio, it is just a whole lot more work they have to do!

9. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I've always thought that boxers often do better in the ring where they have freedom to move around and make use of the rules. Whereas a fighter/puncher can more easily transfer his/her skills out of the ring. Lets face it, I doubt anyone has ever had an actual fight that involved a lot of jabbing and moving. In my personal experience in a real fight you need to go in hard and heavy then get the fuck out. Not often a lot of space to move about in a crowded club and backing off to score a cool counter is pretty much impossible. It's a bit like the old question "who'd win? Tyson or Ali?" Personally I feel if they both met in a ring at their respective peaks Ali would be victorious but if they would have a fight outside the ring Tyson would very likely maul Ali mercilessly. Whenever a martial art becomes a sport the rules make some less effective techniques more viable as they get rid of certain techniques which would make them obsolete. TKD has no sweeps in contest to allow for more kicking techniques, MMA has no eye gouging or groin attacks which would certainly make the fights less spectator friendly as there'd be less technical fighting if you could kick your opponent in the nuts then like him in the eye. There are rules in every sport to promote a certain type of play and anytime a technique, target or tactic is removed it loses a little of its effectiveness outside a sporting environment.

10. Angelos Koskinas

Angelos Koskinas Initiate

It seems in general that the fighters are slowly disappering all the sports as they continue to grow and become more of a business. Look at Tyson for instance. When cus damato was still around Tyson was a fighter. When Don king and others came into play he became a boxer and thats when things started to go south. Money is what takes out the fighters. Its tough to get up every morning at 5 am and focus on destroying your opponent when you have a couple of Mill in the Bank account. the focus doesnt become to destroy and build a fan base. They motivation becomes playing it safe and not losing all the money. Winning a big purse by decision becomes more important that trying to knock the other guy out.

Look at GSP in the UFC. When he won the title he had to start fighting smart to keep the money and the sponsorships coming in. Im not one of the haters that is going to say he has gone soft. Obviously he is always fighting the divisions number 1 contender which is always dangerous but i think he focuses more on not getting into bad positions that could cost him his empire.

seeing a lot more of that in both boxing and UFC. Jone Jones another example he wouldnt take the short notice fight against Sonnen when he had a full camp behind him. in my opinion if your a fighter you take out who ever is in front of you. Like the old Vale Tudo days. several fights in one night for a small purse (in comparison to todays) and you have no clue who yoru fighting in the next round.

Fighters end up turning into boxers it is a natural progression. the days of slugging it out are starting to disappear. i used to love watching old school boxing. problem is the days where guys would stand toe to toe are over. Boxing promoters are now hand picking fights to get their guys title shots. have several friends that tried going pro and had to fight in other states and clearly one the fight just to lose by decision. Eventually we will get there with MMA as well. For now i will still watch the good cards until they disappear as well. Im still much more partial to UFC though since you get 8 fights a night instead of 2.