The Burn Machine Review

Discussion in 'Strength Training' started by RJ Clark, Dec 27, 2012.

1. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I'm sure many of you have seen this and thought everything from "It's just gimmicky..." to "That looks awesome!" then looked at the price (around $130-150) and said "I can live without it." Well I picked one up and can say I'm very pleased with it and the 12 lbs model is aptly named for the burn you will get when using it. You can structure entire workouts around it or you can use it to shake up your normal routine. It is a stellar piece of equipment if you travel a lot - this would be great for you, Kevin. Anyone using it for a couple of weeks will then probably think it was money well spent, I know I do.

3. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

I just looked this up and I have to say that this looks quite handy, especially for strength building in the wrists as well as the biceps, triceps and shoulders . Very handy if you travel a lot.

Thanks for sharing this, I might just have to get me one those. ;)

Just for those interested you can buy this Burn Machine the 12lbs model for around £120 in the UK.

4. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

looks like the female tug toner...

5. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Would suite you right down to the ground then bud. :ROFLMAO::whistle:

6. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

What.....no pics, no link...nothing? :rolleyes:
    Geesh!
    Making us have to work, when I'm not supposed to be online while on holidays too.

Is this it?

burn.jpg

OOohhhh! But look!:wideyed:
    small-3.jpg

"Burn Balls" , hahaha:LOL: ,great name.

RJ Clark likes this.
  7. RJ Clark

haa! Yeah, I probably should have linked some stuff and added pics since it was a favorable review. Thanks for doing the legwork for me on that(y)

8. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I think I'll stick to basic barbell training.

RJ Clark likes this.
  9. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

I think I would be more interested in it, if it was geared so as to be able to increase or decrease resistance.
    So as i got used to it at say level 3, I could put it up to level 5 and go from 12lbs to say 16lbs resistance, etc, etc...

10. RJ Clark

No need to - to up the intensity simply move faster and/or add a little bit of time to the set. Either or both make a big difference. I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly running a circuit with this fries the upper body, especially in the shoulders and arms.
    I'm sure not saying it replaces the fundamentals, but it is a great addition to throw in the mix.

11. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

The idea of this machine is to increase strength/stamina and tone the body, as opposed to body building. The only reason you would increase weight is to build bigger muscles and obviously this would increase strength and body mass over time.

12. Enkidu

Okay, I watched several videos on the Burn Machine and I am unconvinced it is anything more than a gimmick.

In my training (and my training of others), I use primarily barbell training with some auxiliary training in things like kettlebells, sandbags, Swiss balls, heavy bag and throwing dummy work, and body weight training. In all the training videos I have seen thus far, I've seen nothing to make me think that the Burn Machine would provide any type of training that isn't already covered (and covered better) in the other forms of training I do.

The Detroit Lions' S&C coach who said there aren't any good dynamic warm-up exercises for the upper body is either being paid by Burn Machine or is full of shit. There are PLENTY of good dynamic warm-up exercises for the upper body that don't require the Burn Machine. Muscular endurance is easily built by any S&C coach worth his salt with traditional tools and in no way requires the Burn Machine (nor does the Burn Machine look like it can do any of those warm-ups or ME training any better than traditional means).

I am not saying you cannot get a good workout with it, I am sure you can. But I can also wear your ass out training you with nothing but a piece of PVC piping (trust me, I've done it to trainees). That doesn't mean I am going to market and sell my PVC pipe & workout routine as something new or innovative.

13. Enkidu

Wrong and wrong on so many levels.

I will go into how and why it is wrong when I have more time.

In the meantime:

14. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

So, you don't like it then? :whistle:

15. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Ok please do and I am not being sarcastic with my response Enkidu.

Please explain as to why that is wrong.

16. Enkidu

^^^I gotta run. I'll get back to this later.

17. RJ Clark

The marketing for it almost turned me off as it has the gimmicky-appeal-to-the-masses look. I also hate it when someone obviously has a vested interest in something and makes it out to be more than it is (per the S&C coach). Can you get a comparative and/or better workout with other pieces (more than one) of equipment - sure. It is a conveniently-sized unit that can give you some fun & different workout options that doesn't take up much space and is very much portable. In that, it isn't any more gimmicky than medicine balls, kettlebells, battleropes, sprint chutes, strength sleds, fast-feet elastics, sledgehammer work, etc. that get thrown in the mix for variety. It doesn't replace fundamental fitness exercises, but you can structure entire workouts around it if you so desire.
    Having thrown it in the mix I can say I'm very pleased with it and I'm a pretty fit guy to begin with. The other big plus for me is that I can do a variety of exercises or simulate exercises I would normally have to do on multiple pieces of equipment at home without taking up the extra space. Even just looking at it replacing a permanently mounted speed bag platform, it costs less than a nicer speed bag unit without taking up a set amount of space on your wall and the floor space to use it. So that alone makes this worth it to me. It's all I can do to keep my wife from encroaching on my bag and bench space without adding extra perma-mounted equipment in for contention.

18. Enkidu

Okay, I figured I would get back to this.

There are many reasons to increase the weight used that have nothing to do with building muscle, and not all muscle built improves strength. This is a common misconception.

Moreover, the best way of increasing endurance isn't always by adding more repetitions.

Finally, there is no such thing as "toning" the body. When people speak of "toning" what they really mean is cutting body fat. This is best accomplished through diet in conjunction with some form of strength training and moderate amounts of so-called "cardio" or endurance training. But diet is the most important factor here.

On the subject of increasing weights:

If you want to improve maximal strength, you better be lifting with weights in excess of 85% of your 1 rep max on a regular basis. However, lifting in this range doesn't cause much in the way of muscle gains, particularly if you aren't eating a caloric excess diet. Low repetition, heavy weight training that is moderate to low volume improves strength without significant muscle gains. Otherwise, it would be impossible for people in weight class sports to improve relative strength while staying in their weight class.

On the other end of the spectrum, even if you are training for muscular endurance, adding weight at some point becomes necessary to improve endurance within certain ranges. For example, I won't improve my muscular endurance for a round that lasts 2 minutes by doing training that involves continuously lengthening the number of reps, but not the weight. At some point, it is necessary to increase the resistance for even high repetition lifting (or moderate to low rep lifting with very brief rest periods). Lifting on this end of the spectrum also does very little to increase muscle mass.

Muscle mass is generally built with moderate weights lifted for moderate to high volume. Bodybuilding type workouts usually involve higher reps than strength workouts and lower weights than muscular endurance type workouts. That said, regardless of whether your goal is maximal strength or muscular endurance, the idea that adding weight necessarily involves gaining muscle is just wrong, and the idea that you shouldn't do it if your goal is "toning" (a word I hate) is also wrong. Increasing resistance is a way to make your body adapt to a new stimulus, and what form that adaptation takes is dependent on how you add weights, including the intensity, repetition range, rest periods, number of sets, speed of performance of those sets (the tempo), etc.

As an addendum, it is also quite easy to add muscle mass without getting stronger. This is a type of hypertrophy known as sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which is very common among bodybuilders. Sarcomeric hypertrophy adds strength because it involves hypertrophy in the contractile elements of the muscles.

Dave76, Charlay Atkins and RJ Clark like this.
  19. RJ Clark

Great synopsis! You should copy this into it's own thread, even in general discussions, as it covers and explains so much in relatively short form.(y)

Enkidu likes this.
  20. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

First off thanks for getting back to me on this and I agree that what I had put was a generalisation and a misconception on my part with what I had written on this thread. A small part of what you had written I already knew (and it was a very small part), my apologies for writing something as stupid as I did without thinking about it or taking the time to actually explain myself properly and I have had the sad misfortune of learning first hand, how you guys on here are extremely ruthless in your approach when it comes to putting them right.(y)

Also thanks again for taking the time to write this great piece , (that does as RJ Clark said) explains things thoroughly without treating them as a dumb ass (even if I was a bit :D) especially when you weren't really obliged too.

Oh and thanks for ripping the piss out of me with that video first though, it did make me laugh.;):D

Not only do I now know a lot more than I did on this subject, next time I will ensure that what I write explains things more clearly.:nailbiting:(n)

Cheers Enkidu really appreciate your input. (putting me straight)(y)

Enkidu likes this.
  21. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Ain't nuthin' better'n the Tug Toner! :love:

Enkidu likes this.