The Death Penalty.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gone, Nov 23, 2012.

?

Capital punishment.

This poll will close on Nov 23, 2022 at 4:39 AM.
  1. I am for the death penalty.

76.5%
  2. I am against the death penalty.

23.5%
  1. Gone

Gone Guest

Are you for, or against?

And either way, how would you punish a person who had committed the most severest of crimes?

And I'm talking about putting down people who have, beyond a shadow-of-any-doubt, committed crimes that would make someone dry puke in disgust.. Not someone who "may" or "may not" be guilty.

As for myself, I am pro for capital-punishment.
    And I believe that the execution should be recorded and accessible to watch on a government website.
    Even amongst pro capital punishers, I'm pretty tame. Someone put on death row would be lucky to have me as their judge/executioner. I am very agreeable to liquidation via the traditional methods of the firing squad and also by hanging. But I think that the victims family also deserves a LOT of say in how the criminal gets put down. I believe the family deserve that dignity.

So, how do you vote?

3. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Eye for an eye. Turn the other cheek. Who are we to judge whether someone lives or dies. While I don't even like to step on an ant I will gladly catch and kill flies who insist on trying to fly up my nose. Sometimes, for the sake of the gene pool and safety of others, some people really need to be sent to their maker. However, it should only be as a last resort.

Eric M. Miller and Dave76 like this.
  4. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Well said...

5. Dave76

The catch with this ofcourse is if you get it wrong once, just once, then the whole system is cast into doubt.
    Proof beyond any and all reasonable doubt of crimes that go above and beyond any and all understanding of sense or reason.

6. Ben

Ben Master

Life deserves respect, but as someone who have seen a lot of people who I care about have their lives ruined by others I have ltitle sympathy. In my world things that would warrant the death penalty are:
    -Rape (in ALL forms)
    -Murder (attempted and successful)
    -Selling Drugs
    And there would be carying degrees. A rapist would receive a slow and quite painful death. The Murderer would be killed in the same manner that they murdered their victim. And the drug peddler would be shot or hung depending on what they wanted. Depending on the crime would also mean that their wishes for burial/cremation would be ignored completely, and the person would likely be left to rot in some sort of morgue in like a drawer of maggots. I know I sound horrible, but I've heard some stories which have turned parts of me quite dark...

7. Ivor Godley

Ivor Godley grasshopper

this is a good one, i could argue either way on this subject - whilst i agree with the death penalty on some points, i fully disagree with it on others.
    As Locutus says; for the sake of society / the gene pool some people are better removed from it!
    But as Dave76 said; if you get it wrong there is no way to say sorry and take it back, i think any doubt at all would be enough to quash any capital sentence!
    this is going to be a very interesting discussion, similar to the ones on self defence laws.

8. Dave76

WOW....your world is quite bleak for one so young Ben.

Rape: I don't agree sorry. Chemical castration would be my choice for one off offenders, full castration for multiple offenders and finally death penalty reserved for violent repeat offenders.
    Murder: What if a jury of your peers decides that when 2 burglars came into your house at night and you killed them both, that you over stepped your right to self defense and crossed over into murder? By your law, you would be sentanced to death.
    Nothing is black and white in deiciding something like this.
    Selling drugs: Really? What sort of drugs? How much? Or how little? Does the little old lady growing weed to sell because she can't survive on her pension alone deserve to die does she?
    Maybe a cartel boss, overseeing mass production of hard drugs like meth and heroin,etc, etc...

I don't have a problem with the death penalty, it is silly to my mind that we spend millions every year keeping people like say Martyn Bryant - Port Arthur massacre, alive. One bullet for 25c would fix that oversight in my opinion.
    But still......nothing is black and white when it comes to deciding on taking of human life.

Judah and Ivor Godley like this.
  9. Gone

Gone Guest

As said, if someone was going to get the death penalty its because they absolutely, truly deserved it.

Some people can be quite medieval with their punishments towards rapists. But it isn't my place to say they are right or wrong, to meet out punishment on their behalf, or to deny them revenge. I think that is something the victims family should decide - husband, father, brothers, sons - because they have intimate stakes in it all.

It seems as though the more heinous the crime, the more heinous the punishment will be. If you did not want to risk being thrown into a gladiatorial pit of death with half starved mix of big dogs, then you would not have stabbed that pensioner to death in her home for a few dollars.

Ben likes this.
  10. Ben

Ben Master

Rape: I had two watch one of my best friends cry as she told me her father brought a hitchiker back to the house, and gladly allowed him to rape her twice, once at knifepoint. In my world both of them would receive slow deaths.
    Murder: Self defense or defense of someone else isn't murder. If someone is attempting to kill someone you love you aren't going to let them do it are you? If they die in the process then as far as I'm concerened you can walk away with a clear conscience. Of course Self defence would be excused, but it would also be strongly investigated.
    Drugs: If a little old lady is selling weed because she can't survive on her pension, there's the simple solution of not over-spending your pension. Seeing as she's already elderly she'd get jail time, but not death. But using drug money to pay your way through life is a piss-poor excuse. Either budget properly, man up and get the courage to make some life-style changes so you can llive on the (supposedly) meager pension and take responsibility. Don't feed people's addiction to a harmful substance that can ruin their life crying "poor poor pitiful me." And it would be for any drugs, being used for recreational (not medical) use.

11. Ben

Ben Master

yes. Of course there is the simple "Don't do the crime don't do the time." But people don't seem to grasp that concept today...I fear for the future of the world I really do. it's getting to the point where someone can name any mental illness and get off with community service, no matter what crime they comitted.

12. Gone

Gone Guest

Wouldn't happen in cases that could warrant the death penalty. I mean, by the time the crime is severe enough that it becomes an option, mental health status won't be an issue.

It is easy to say someone doesn't deserve to die if you are not close to the victim.

Ben likes this.
  13. Ben

Ben Master

very easy. but i've been surrounded by victims most of my life so I sympathise easily. I'm kind of a bleeding heart for those I feel deserve it.

14. Judah

Judah fights in tights

This is the reason there is no death penalty in the UK. mistakes get made and once someone's dead you can't take it back. "Sorry mate we really really thought it was you..."

Ivor Godley likes this.
  15. Ivor Godley

Ivor Godley grasshopper

One point that has been overlooked so far - in countries with the death penalty (the USA being 1 of many) there are still murders and other violent crimes, even if you were to exclude crimes of passion / the heart, so it would appear that the death penalty is no deterent.

Judah likes this.
  16. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

I was going to go on a huge rant about how governments that enforce the laws in their societies are in fact guilty of violating those same laws against other societies. But

I'll Just say this for both sides of the fence on this subject.

Justification doesn't change Right and Wrong.

17. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Justice is an eye for an eye, vengeance would be taking off their head for an eye. On a personal level, I am a vengeance taker. But in that I may rightfully suffer consequences for doing so, as it should not exist on an institutional/governing level.

I'm ambivalent about the death penalty (as many are). Perhaps when there is absolutely overwhelming evidence (actually footage or inescapably guilty as in: walks into building and murders and is apprehended on scene, etc). But no amount of "justifiable" government executions can ever excuse even one man who is wrongfully executed because he is innocent. Think about that for more than a fleeting moment. Most of us know victims of some sort of crime, even up to murder. The outrage, anger, frustration, and such that we feel is intense. Do you think your emotions could possibly compare to level of the friends and family of someone who is executed by the government for a crime they did not commit? What do you as a society say to them? "Sorry about that. We have a pretty good record of killing the right guy most of the time, so we're going to keep utilizing the death penalty. Oh, by the way even tho we totally got the wrong guy you can't even sue us and there can be no repercussions for any of us even if some of our representatives were negligent in doing their jobs or our prosecutors choose to not present evidence that indicated he was innocent and that lead up to your son/brother/dad/husband being wrongfully executed..." I would like to be able to support the death penalty, but if it isn't 100% correct I cannot.

Dave76 and MattCMMA like this.
  18. Dave76

I'm very sorry for that girl, does that not fall under this?

Ben, RJ Clark and MattCMMA like this.
  19. i was thinking the other day that canada needs the death penalty for something like rape.....

how can you ever justify that act?

now for murder....someone comes at you with a knife, you fight.....and you have to kill that person or be killed....then i can see that situation

20. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Ben you're advocating torturing people to death and desecrating their bodies. I don't see how you can start by saying "Life deserves respect" then suggest the things you have. Also I gotta agree with Dave on the drug thing, not all drug dealers are vicious murdering gangsters. Also the "drug related crime" argument doesn't carry weight with me. Look at countries with less oppression towards drug users and omg they have lower overall levels of drug use, violence stemming from the need for drugs is almost non existent and money instead of being used to incarcerate offenders can be used for rehabilitation. And please don't try the "buying drugs supports terrorists and organised crime" line either. It's the illegality of of drugs that make them a viable black market for anyone, including terrorists etc...

21. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Problem is that not everyone, including myself, see's it that way. Killing your attacker would require an offensive action. An offensive action would then remove the idea [ to me] of self defense. Notice how I bolded the word defense?
    The correct self defense act would be..

....someone comes at you with a knife, you fight.....and you stop the attacker with the least amount of force possible and then disengage. This is how a normal individual in society would act. Stop the threat and get away, not continue in unwanted violence.

Judah likes this.