The Lost Shaolin Scrolls

Discussion in 'Articles' started by SifuPhil, Aug 15, 2012.

1. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

shaolin.jpg

Consuelo forced me to go to the flea market the other day, when what I really should have been doing was working. But the day was looking too warm and beautiful, as was Consuelo, so I closed-up shop and trundled off to look at other people's garbage.

What I found has profoundly changed my views of the Shaolin Temple. I think it will change your views as well.

Hidden within the framework of an old lamp table that Connie insisted would look good in the entry hall I found 6 rolled-up pieces of silk, most of them in excellent shape but with one appearing to have been vandalized. Each scroll measures 48-3/4" (124cm) long and 24-1/2" (62 cm) wide.

From their general appearance and the obvious care taken in their creation, as well as the content expressed within them, I have determined that they are Shaolin Monastery scrolls of a type and style that have never been seen before and that seems to stump the experts.

Decide for yourself - here are digital photos I took, one of each of the scrolls, placed here in chronological order ...

Master_Notes_Page_1.jpg
    Fantastic stuff, right?!? I was thrilled to find these scrolls and couldn't wait to read the next one in the series ...

Master_Notes_Page_2.jpg
    Wow - what an intimate view of the Temple and its inner workings! Even the parts about the little things that go wrong just gives these scrolls that human touch ...​
    Master_Notes_Page_3.jpg
    What the ...? How come this was never on CNN, or at least in the Daily Telegraph?!? This is ground-breaking stuff, paradigm-shifting stuff! This is an entirely new way of seeing the Shaolin order! I immediately proceeded to check out the next scroll, even though by this point Consuelo was trying to entice me to come to bed ...​
    Master_Notes_Page_4.jpg
    I am speechless - I never imagined the Shaolin Temple this way. I'd always thought of it as a hallowed shrine, a holy place of mind-body development - not this crazy circus of errors.​
    Connie gave up trying to lure me to bed. I'm grabbing for the next scroll, eager to see how this adventure will turn out ...​
    Master_Notes_Page_5.jpg
    Oh, my.​
    I start to wonder at this point whether I should just burn these scrolls - it just doesn't seem right that the world of martial arts should be exposed to this. I get as far as pulling my Ronson out of my pocket when I see the last scroll.​
    ... after a moment's hesitation I put the lighter back in my pocket and begin reading this ... note that the graffiti is exactly as I found it on the scroll - I have not altered it in any way.​
    Master_Notes_Page_6.jpg

Enkidu likes this.
  3. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

facepalm. did you just get this from some cheesy email or something?

Conor McAteer likes this.
  4. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose ...