This is awesome!

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Alwi, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Here's the same thing but when you add alcohol. :)

Sneaker and Alwi like this.
  4. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

crazy

5. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

wow That is very impressive (y)

Sneaker likes this.
  6. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Of course my first thought is, What happens when you add legs and feet?!?!?

Pedro likes this.
  7. Dale

Dale Scholar of the martial arts

I have to agree, but most people you'll find out there probably don't know how to throw a kick, and maybe they can knee, so if you can get your head up afterward, you may be alright.

8. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Considering that strikes from the hands are more precise and faster than kicks & he is able to react quick enough to avoid strikes from the hands... I'm sure he would be quick enough to react to a slower moving strike from the legs.

Dave76 and RJ Clark like this.
  9. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

at least, it is a learning process along with enjoyment. :)

10. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

When closing the gap with a hand strike, you would check the leg at the same time. I didn't mean a kick. I meant taking away his width or depth.

11. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

This is why I teach the "what if" principle. Never go through day to day thinking an opponent is not trained as well. I always approach a situation thinking he is also skilled in some way.

Alwi likes this.
  12. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Look i dont agree with the "how to win a streetfight" heading but his head movement is extremely good and I appreciate that for what that is, Yes its one aspect of fighting ofcourse but hes flipping good at this aspect :D

MattCMMA likes this.
  13. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

After further review of my postings, I can't find where I said he didn't have skills. But, as a martial artist, when the subject matter is in fact "hand to hand" combat I will always observe and critique. When I stop doing that, I stop teaching and learning.

MattCMMA likes this.
  14. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

This is a great example/demo of how effective head movement can be unto itself. Combining that with your striking and you will become a counter-striking beast. This fits right in with many TMA's mantra of "use only for self defense" which will often mean trying to deescalate until/unless your antagonist makes a definitive move to attack. Since most people "headhunt", including trained fighters and martial artists, it emphasizes how important head movement can be for self defense as well as sport.

DeeD, MattCMMA and Sneaker like this.
  15. RJ Clark

If you mean closing the distance to try to disrupt his short rhythm (side to side) and/or long rhythm (forward and back) head movement, he still has his fundamental footwork to change his relation to you even without adding his own striking into the mix if this was "live". His excellent footwork is on display just as much as his head movement and plays just as important a roll in him avoiding strikes and not getting jammed up...

MattCMMA likes this.
  16. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

I looked into this video after last saturday getting my head smashed by a 65 year old former pro boxer who kept telling me to stay mobile. God how I would love to be as good as the guy in the video. Any tips for improvement without a training partner?

17. RJ Clark

sure, all at low to no cost as well. Shadow boxing in a mirror for visual feedback on head movement. Slip ball, (make your own) make sure you slip and move with a broken rhythm, don't want an opponent picking up on a pattern of movement or cadence. Rope drills - clothesline at about shoulder height, walk the line forward and back while dipping under to the other side of the line (later add counter strikes off of slipping the imaginary punch represented by the clothesline). There you go, that should help get you started with your home boxing gym :)

DeeD and MattCMMA like this.
  18. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Nope. Not was what I was referring to. But it's all good.

RJ Clark likes this.
  19. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

yes you can ... you can duck (as in squat) duck duck from side to side with the low rope in the middle, just don't touch the rope with your head or shoulders ... the key to it is to break it down into a single basic and practice 100 times a day and switch up into another basic ... and so on.
    Example :

Noone will ever, never finish all the training ... Martial Arts is an ENDLESS JOURNEY !

20. RJ Clark

If you feel like it, please go into some detail as to what you meant. I like hearing other martial artist's viewpoints for discussion, debate, or to just appreciate their perspective.(y)

DeeD likes this.
  21. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

Thanks you guys the tips are great gonna fix the drills and practice over and over again,challange will be incorporating such moves and watching out for knees to the head while ducking