Thou Shalt Not Poomse: Dr. Russell Tardo on The Evil of Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Articles' started by SifuPhil, May 24, 2013.

1. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Dr. Russell Tardo (D.Min), the pastor of Faithful Word Assembly, a Full Gospel, non-denominational church in friendly ol' Kenner, Louisiana, has a few words to tell you about martial arts:

Sounds a bit strange, but maybe they do things differently down in the Bayou.

“Meek Savior”?

Mt_CleansingTemple.jpg

Look, even Chuck Norris is a church-going, God-fearin' kind of guy.

And Chuck is NEVER wrong.

So what's the story with Dr. Tardo? It seems he had an “awakening” in his early twenties:

Um … okay.

Dr. Tardo goes on in his tract to offer five main points in support of his assertion that martial arts are the tool of the Devil:

1. The martial arts all originate in false religion
    2. The martial arts all have an underlying occult philosophy
    3. The concept of self-defense is both unscriptural (sic) and anti-christian (sic)
    4. The martial arts glorify the flesh
    5. By their fruits you shall know them
    Pretty heavy accusations. Let's look at the reasoning behind them …

1. The martial arts all originate in false religion

Here of course the operant word is “false”. Dr. Tardo takes the Westboro Baptist Church-view that only HIS interpretation – quite a literal one, it seems – can be correct, and that all others are subject to the Lord's wrathful vengeance. He quotes Bob Larson:

As someone who has spent the better part of 40 years studying the Tao Te Ching, I can honestly say that I've never heard of it referred to as “simply the tao or the way” - Mr. Larson and now by extension Dr. Tardo are starting from an erroneous base.

They also have their histories mixed up: alchemical research in Taoism occurred LONG before the advent of Kung Fu, not as a development OF it. And, it had nothing to do with demons.

But they don't stop there – oh, no. Dr. Tardo invokes Larson's “expert” knowledge concerning Bodhidarma, the founder of Buddhism, and indicts HIM as well:

I'msorry but I seem to have misplaced my goat's skull … give me second here …

There. That's better.

… and now the Scriptural quotes. I was wondering where they were – they're ALWAYS trucked out by the Fundamentalists in these discussions.

2. The martial arts all have an underlying occult philosophy

This is just another way of stating his first proposition, but let's see where he goes with it.

Bad, bad, naughty ancient Orient! They have just extinguished the eternal Lamp of Truth which, as I recall, is vaguely Grail-shaped.

Explaining the visualization process involved in board-breaking, he says:

dark-side-cookies.jpg

Source

So, every time you prepare to do a break you're invoking the Devil. Good luck with that.

After quoting Mas Oyama on the necessity of combining the physical and spiritual elements in martial arts, he offers this little gem:

Wow. Just … wow. I don't know about y'all, but I've never had bullet-catching as part of my training – maybe I've missed something here?

Gee, Wally – do you think Dr. Tardo might be confusing stage magic with martial arts?

Of course! Before taking those horns he sacrificed twenty virgins – everyone knows that!

I was wondering where the Scriptural quotes went … so now in addition to everything else I am, I'm an abomination. Huzzah!

Again, I seem to have been lax in my training -

Dr. Tardo questions how one who practices “martial” arts (“deriving from Mars, the ancient Roman god of war”) can be a Disciple of Christ?

crusaders.jpg

Yeah, how?

Attached Files:

Aaron and Vldz like this.
  3. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

I had come across this guy before, ie. I watched less than thirty seconds and thought "This guys a wanker" then turned him off.

Sorry Phil, even though I avidly devour everything you write and am still waiting for my blackbelt from you (I see my credit card has been charged multiple times already, I must be up to yellow belt by now, right?) but I couldn't even read your whole post about him. He is not worth my energy or attention.

SifuPhil likes this.
  4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Wow. I am mentally exhausted trying to comprehend his idiocyo_O. I don't know if I should thank you or hurl damnation at you for this thread SifuPhil...

5. Sabomnim Dan

Sabomnim Dan Disciple

'...developed into a complex system of occult practices including contemplation and breathing exercises.'

Ah yes, the little known 11th commandment: Thou shalt not think for thyself.

Aaron, Vldz, SifuPhil and 2 others like this.
  6. The Little Lion

The Little Lion Hard Wing Chun - The Music Of Bones

Damn those satan worshiping bullet catching taoist jedi's.

7. KeithW

KeithW "Just keep training..."

One of my favorite topics - fundies who haven't a foggy effing clue what they're talking about.

Great topic, Phil.

8. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

cult

/kəlt/

Noun
    1. A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
    2. A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
    Synonyms
    worship - religion - adoration

I will say no more.:sneaky:

Aaron, Vldz and SifuPhil like this.
  9. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

SifuPhil. I am guessing, that this preacher guy simply got disgruntled with MA because he consistently fail at his grading.

He did mentioned that he used to "aim" at black belt - for 5 years - but then, he found (rather conveniently).......... Christ.

Karate.... in 5 years. hmmmm what belt should it be..... my guess is brown.

Now, I do notice that test from Brown to Black tend to be the one that is extremely difficult, especially so when compared to the previous testing from white-red-yellow-orange-green-blue-purple-brown. Because this test to be black belt is the "THE" test that pretty much makes Karate Student a KarateKa or Karate Practitioner.

Let's say that this guy wasn't even a brown belt during his 5 years training... well that actually makes the case even clearer. He simply doesn't have a knack in Karate and because of that he went child-like ranting why Karate's bad and this and that.

This is the same symptom of children, who want to ride a bike (and own one), are not permitted by their parents. The usual reaction is...... they come to hate bike.

SifuPhil likes this.
  10. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Hang on. catch a bullet??? Where can I sign up?

SifuPhil and dmach like this.
  11. SifuPhil

That's a very good analysis of potential causation, one that I would agree with. Add in the fanaticism that comes with accepting (and being appointed a leader in) a cult-like system and you have many of the symptoms Dr. Tardo shows in this article.

But it isn't just the martial arts ... he's got a hard-on for a LOT of things that we accept as being harmless diversions. If you've got the stomach for it you might want to check out his site and some of his other tracts ... his rant about the Easter Bunny is priceless! :ROFLMAO:

Vldz likes this.
  12. SifuPhil

Vldz likes this.
  13. Gone

Gone Guest

Everything happens because of war. Everything we have is because of war.

Christ himself said "sell your cloak and buy a sword"
    Today he would say "sell your (phone/car/television/whatever) and buy a rifle"

Self defence is not evil. It is a right and it is normal and it is healthy.

SifuPhil and Vldz like this.
  14. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

There is no need to defend, what does not need defending.

SifuPhil likes this.
  15. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Yeah......I only got as far as catching a bullet. Now I'm stuck trying to remember the 80's movie that that was in........was it 'The Last Dragon'???

Vldz likes this.
  16. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

I would like to see what Dr Tardo has to say about that.

Oh, and by the way, I have skim-read the articles. This guy needs to get some laid and hang out more..... a lot.

SifuPhil likes this.
  17. SifuPhil

I don't remember which movie it was ...

18. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Yep, 'The Last Dragon'.

I lied you know, of course I read the rest of the article;)

SifuPhil and Vldz like this.
  19. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

yea this guy is on his own mission, I am a Christian and I know many many many others who are martial artists and we definitely dont subscribe to this kinda nonsense

SifuPhil likes this.
  20. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

OMG!!!! The CHHEEZZZZEEEEE!!!!

21. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Here's another one....

Pedro, Vldz and SifuPhil like this.