TKD Belts

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by angie828, Jun 7, 2012.

1. angie828

angie828 Disciple

I feel that you earn your belt. However, I heard of a school in my state that gives out the belts even if the person does not test well. I even heard of one family paying so their child could get a higher belt. I do not feel that this is far, nor do I think that the ones who run the school should be able to have a school anymore. It is sort of a disgrace to the whole TKD in general. What are your feelings about this?

2. MT_Demers

MT_Demers Disciple

This is just wrong. Belts MUST be earned. I agree this is a disgrace, but there are those out there who do it. There is no integrity in these schools or in the instructors. I've lost students because their parents didn't think their kids were being promoted fast enough. If making money is the first priority in you school you should probably shut it down. Passing students who are not ready does not help your students and it doesn't say much for you school either.

3. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

As with everything you must earn the right.

Dpendleton, Ryannmnzo, Tooley and 2 others like this.
  4. Joe

Joe Disciple

Belts are your way of passage, it is also shows to some discretion how knowledgeable you are in the art. You can't hand out experience, so why should they hand out the respect that comes with the belt? It has to be earnt, then you can show the respect the belt deserves and the respect you deserve with your belt. In order to succeed one must do the hard yards, you can't walk before you run. While you can't become great if you have never been forced to do the work the greatness entitles. Look at the great martial artists. Bruce Lee wouldn't have been his ability, if he had never worked for it. So why should they, I understand the are children and dodgy instructors mainly, but you have to do the work yourself.

Tianrui and Tooley like this.
  5. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

It happens too much lately these days. You end up with these instructors that really shouldn't have gotten there teaching licenses and only did because they were at a rank in there art that expects you to start teaching, or some other BS. Then they pump out black belts like crazy, or wave testing for a rank fee, just so that there school looks good from a marketing perspective "we gaurantee black belt in 2 years" load of crap. They end up doing harm to the student in the end. It's a disgrace to the arts as a whole and seems to be happening more and more in every style lately. NOTE: Always check your instructors background, get references if necessary.

Tooley and MT_Demers like this.
  6. angie828

angie828 Disciple

Well I am so glad that others agree with me on this. I feel that if you can not earn your belt, you are not entitled to it. I feel such relief when I pass a belt test and have a sense of pride. Where is the kids sense of pride if they can not earn the belt, and their parents have to pay for it?

Regent St-Onge, Tooley and dmach like this.
  7. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

If you get something you don't earn, it's not worth anything! Yes there are schools all over that do that and it is ashame that people do that to others but, there's really nothing we can do because if you get them to close down, they just open up somewhere else! Makes you think, "How they got their belt?" I have a few schools near me that do the same thing. Some of their students come to me asking to train them to fight. I decline and send them back to their school. I will only honor your belt rank if you can show that you know what is required for your rank! Master Fahy

Dinkyduda and Tooley like this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

You definitely need to earn any belt you get though I don't believe that gradings and long gradings that take all day are the best way to do it. I've got no problem with a teacher who just hands out a new belt to a student when they feel like they have earned it, rather than making them go through a grading etc. If the student has shown in class they have improved and are worthy of a belt then why shouldn't they just be given it?

Ivor Godley and MT_Demers like this.
  9. MT_Demers

MT_Demers Disciple

We tell our students to treat every class as if it were a test. That is how I earned my Blue Belt in TKD; I was told at the end of the class I had been promoted. I believe by putting them through a formal test puts the pressure on which is a good way to see how they can perform when they know they are being tested. We don't test students unless they have shown us in class they are ready. Essentially they have already passed prior to ever being tested basically they just need to show us what they know and that they have the heart and desire to finish the test. I think either way is acceptable to promote your students as long as their perceived limits are pushed in the process.

Regent St-Onge, Master Fahy and Kevin like this.
  10. Tooley

Tooley Initiate

Myself & my 2 kids are only blue tip but agree 100%... I believe we have earnt our belts due to weekly training & theory study..... A free ride fools no one but yourself.....!!

Dinkyduda and MT_Demers like this.
  11. That is affirmitive Sensei Tooley!...I'm 5/5 with that!

12. Dinkyduda

Dinkyduda Initiate

This all goes back to the type of instructor you have. If your instructor recieved easy belt testing or "gimmee belts" then thats what they will pass on. You have to ask yourself if that what you want and if so fair enough. But outside of degrading the belt system that actually stands for something you are actually being cheated out of the greatest gift any intructor can give,the skill confidence and courage to stand up there in front of your peers and show the best that you can be. What you put into martial arts with your heart soul blood and sweat is repaid a thousand fold with the satisfaction of earning each belt.
    I train with my three kids and they already know that if you want something you have to work for it not just in Tae Kwon Do but in life.

13. zijin_cheng

zijin_cheng Initiate

What are your thoughts on allowing a student to skip a belt when he or she does so well in the examinations?

14. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Zijin_cheng, my thoughts on allowing a student to skip a belt is that they must be exceptional in technique, mentally and physically ready to advance to the higher belt level. If they do skip a belt, they would be required to make up for any requirements for that next belt before testing for any higher belt. I don't normally make a habit of skipping any students. Again, they must be exceptional. Master Fahy

15. zijin_cheng

zijin_cheng Initiate

Makes sense. But why skip a student if they have to learn the skipped levels form anyways?

16. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Zijin_cheng, each belt level has certain techniques that are reqiured for the student to know. If you skip a belt level before black belt (say you didn't learn the green belt form) when taking your black belt test, your required to know all the forms up to black belt, so now you must go back and learn the form you missed (green belt form) before taking your black belt test. Besides, how could you show a green belt how to do their form? Master Fahy

Regent St-Onge likes this.
  17. zijin_cheng

zijin_cheng Initiate

Actually that was why I was asking, I learned all the way to red or brown belt and my friend got to skip and apart from saving time and money there really is no benefit to skipping a belt at all

18. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Your right about that! Master Fahy

19. Joe

Joe Disciple

In all reality, the only benefit is money. I have skipped 3 times- doubled to yellow and green, with the final double to red. We still have to learn the same Taeguks, and the same self defense. The only difference is usually our sparring capabilities. With doubling you have to be good- placing in the TNZ Open is usually the indicator. Or you have to be flawless in your Taeguk. Aside from this you have to be mentally able to handle the extra work. Some people are gifted, some are not- but the ones that aren't are better in the end, as thy work harder to be at the same level.

20. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

You must of done great during your tests because normally students don't skip that many times! Good job! Master Fahy

Joe likes this.