TKD Belts

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by angie828, Jun 7, 2012.

1. I see you as a well rounded artist Sama...LOL,I'm jelouse...Your very formadable....Weapons?

2. Your a well rounded artist sama,very foridable...Weapons!

3. I may have said this already....Ur a well rounded Artist...very foradable.....Weapons??

Ivor Godley likes this.
  4. Itsudemo gana desu...

5. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

[​IMG]

6. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

TKD has a reputation of this. Anyone and everyone in martial arts knows this. It all started in the 70's and 80's when the Koreans came to N.A. and set up shop, displaying their great foot work and wooing the masses to sign up. Then many started the "buy your belt" system. Of course, not just TKD falls victim to this - Northern Karate in Toronto - is a buy your belt system. Throw a hundred kids in the room, one junior instructor, and then advance them to their next belt ASAP. I have seen good black belts and some who could not even execute a basic front kick, from Northern Karate.

Martial Art business is a tough gig, and most that I know who own schools break even at best and make their money more by doing seminars, etc., for others.

I can usually recognize a TKD student right away ... (children & teens anyway) ... most do not even know how to make a proper fist, or even how to stand in a proper fighting stance. I actually trained at a TKD club for a year (great conditioning and adult sparring), and the focus was on speed and fancy kicks with the belief technique & accuracy would come later with time.

I actually taught karate and kickboxing in Korea .. and there were 6 years olds walking around with TKD black belts on. Even the adults I met who did my kickboxing class had no idea on angle work, combinations, and were very unconditioned. I was not impressed at all.

Putting that all aside, though, good TKD has the best foot work I have ever seen.

7. Sabomnim Dan

Sabomnim Dan Disciple

The trick is finding a good instructor. It is a well known adage that 'black belt is just the beginning'. I was always told that getting my black belt just meant I was finally ready to learn.

The trouble is, plenty of students get their 1st Dan and want to have their own school (usually in a rush to fulfill their martial arts fantasy of being a Master and having people bow down to their ego). Those junior instructors typically eschew any connection with established and reputable associations or organisations and end up training more junior instructors. Over time the style degrades. This is what leads to the 'technique and accuracy will come later' mentality. I feel I am forever telling my students to slow down and focus on proper technique instead of speed and power. Speed and power come from technique, not the other way around.

I've walked out of so many schools because I walked in with my (at the time) 2nd Dan and outranked the 'head instructor'. At university I walked in with a 1st Dan and the instructor was a probationary black belt. o_O

Sensei Martin likes this.
  8. A question was brought to me...scripture...turn the other cheack...A slapp as if to a woman,dishonor and disreasct...turn....If combat ,You'll know...Break out katana!

9. Tianrui

Tianrui Initiate

Everyone have to work hard in order to achieve, if they are not good enough, even they use money to buy higher belts, at the end of the day, they still don't have the skills which they should have. Belt is nothing, it's just a representation, what important is the amount of time and effort that you put into the art, how much do you understand it, in both physical and spiritual form.
    And yeah, it is disgraceful for TKD school give their student belts that are not at their level, however, it's understandable business wise, because if TKD school want make money they can't turn down students who want to grade, even though some of the students are not good enough, and because TKD is too famous now, a lot of people who goes to TKD classes don't really want to learn the art, they don't work hard but just to have some fun and expect to become an expert in the field, which for me it's quite laughable.

10. I hold sacrid belt rank...That orange or yellow will be black through trial and error...Some are just that damn goode!,LOL..

Ivor Godley likes this.
  11. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Sounds like you just moved to northern Virginia. Most Dojang here are "McDo's" or "Pajama Shops".

12. ricky

ricky Initiate

i think that people should research what tkd school is best for there child or adult and if there is no good schools do not waste your money or time, i would also google to find a good school it worked for me, but when you find one make sure they have a good self defense program as well good luck

Sabomnim Dan likes this.
  13. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

My feeling is the guy that does this, should have his teaching licence revoked.

14. ricky

ricky Initiate

i agree

15. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

We used to have a good amount of McDojo's out here in Reno, Nevada, but now they are all gone! USSD and such just dried up and left all the individual schools still surviving, or even thriving. Anyone else experience this?

Master of Nothing likes this.
  16. KeithW

KeithW "Just keep training..."

I live in small-town America. We have one local dojo, and it's the one where I teach/train - a dojo where a student doesn't test until he/she is ready, and the test fees are enough to cover the cost of a new obi.

I've seen several nearby McDojo's shut their doors, but not necessarily because better schools drove them out. Kim's TKD and another TSD school mopped up the student pools, leaving a whole variety of students taking classes from Black Belt mills.

17. ricky

ricky Initiate

it was different for me there was not enough schools here in vermont but now there starting to come in right now there are 3 schools tkd-bjj-and shotokan

18. jakmak52

jakmak52 Initiate

Those schools are what I call (McDojos). There's a lot of (Paper Black Belts) as well. I was fortunate to have Master John Graden who studied under the late, great Joe Lewis and Bill (Superfoot) Wallace as well. Finding a good dojo is a daunting endeavor to say the least. I would suggest visiting as many as you can and check there credentials. Good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk