toe problem

Discussion in 'Striking Martial Arts' started by m harrington, May 19, 2014.

1. m harrington

m harrington Initiate

When sparring in kickboxing my little toe gets stuck on matt when performing any type of spinning kick and gets yanked, tried tapping it up but the tape just comes off, any suggestions?

3. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Hmm... seems like a very slight mechanics issue. And, of course when you have an injury like that, invariably it catches (like Murphy's law).
    Assuming you spin properly, and it sounds like it, on the ball of your foot... maybe you need to exercise the same "toes pulled back" form you do on a front kick. I was trained way back from the beginning of time to pull the toes back every time I stretch... so when you go into a split or straddle, or any extended leg stretch... always pull your toes back to position the ball of the foot as if you were striking (even though it is just a stretch). Similarly, as with any sidekick style stretching with heel extended, toes always pulled back... but it doesn't apply quite the same way to my point of "rotation point" on a spinning kick.
    Secondly... I assume you are spinning on the ball of your foot instead of the heel? I would call this "lazy" spinning if you are using the heel as your spin point. And, it doesn't maintain nearly the balance you should.
    All this said... it is the only thing I can think of that may help you here... I do understand how annoying such a "minor" injury is... as it can hinder everything.
    Try religiously pulling those toes back every time you stretch... over a long cycle... treat it like rehab.
    AND... think EVERYTIME you go to spin, get the mechanics to anyways include that same muscle response as you go to rotate on the ball entering into each spin. Pull(toes)-twist(ball), pull-twist every time... could probably just train that without the spin for a couple minutes each day. I think you find your shin muscles will be burning within about a minute.
    That is all I have... sorry.

4. m harrington

m harrington Initiate

hi, i do rotate on the ball of my foot but my little toe is mishaped and a bit and twisted, probably the result of bad fitting shoes over years, even if i pull toes back it will still hook the mat like a little anchor. at the mo i just stopped spinning but the temptation is always there

5. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Short of training in shoes (there are plenty of them out there)... but doesn't solve when you have to take them off, you could discuss with a top notch ortho-sports doctor/surgeon. Surgery? I have no good solution I can think of...
    Only catches on one foot... train the other side only... but that forms a one-dimensional aspect. Not sure that is a good answer, but "super foot" Wallace lived that way.
    ??? Blessings to you, hope you find your "way" to overcome this.
    Parting thought... there some who successfully pull off good heel spins??? There may even be an art that teaches that as proper technique??? Unsure.

6. m harrington

m harrington Initiate

thanks for your suggestions, problem is this only happens in sparring thats when i dont have shoes on and its kinda instictive

7. SamuraiMaster

SamuraiMaster Initiate

toe amputation? lol