Top 10 Fighters

Discussion in 'Martial Arts Films & Videos' started by dmach, Jan 29, 2014.

1. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Interesting little clip I stumbled on while on YouTube. Have a watch and let us know if you agree/disagree.

3. JesterX

JesterX Disciple

You're right that is an interesting clip. There is one thing that kind of bothers me though.
    As much as I admire the martial arts skills of Jet Li and Jackie Chan, do they really belong in the ranks of fighters like Ali, Tyson, and Joe Louis.
    In my opinion the court is still out as regards Bruce Lee. I personally believe Lee would should at least receive an Honorable Mention if only for his development of Jeet Kune Do and his contribution to martial arts philosiphy.

4. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Not one single Muay Thai fighter? Where's Samart Payakaroon, Saenchai Sinbimuaythai?

Obviously a very strong bias for boxers. Not that those guys weren't some of the baddest men on the planet in their prime and or time.

Jet Li for honourable mention??? 5 times world Wushu forms Champion yes, but also never had a real fight in his entire life according to his biography.
    Jackie Chan also is purely a movie MA, love the guy, his movies from 70's to early 90's are some of the greatest MA movies of all time, but not worthy of getting an honourable mention as one of the 'baddest' men on the planet.
    If anyone should of got an honourable, I think Chuck Norris should, at least he fought full contact with minimal PPE at a world class level back in the 60's and 70's.

Overall this list is just meh:meh:
    It's impossible really to make such a list, because so much of it is subject to people personnel preferences in fighting styles and such. But not including so much as one single Muay Thai fighter is just silly and doesn't give whoever compiled this list much credibility IMHO.

Kuyaken, Eric Dufurrena and RJ Clark like this.
  5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I absolutely agree with you guys on dropping the movie stars from the list and they deserve no honorable mention either, that includes Bruce Lee. Definitely should add some Thai fighters and also add on a few fighters who have grappling as their primary skill set. I'd add Kimura and to the list and at least one Gracie (debatable as to the most feared). We'd really have to bump the number up to a minimum of a top twenty and to be fair call them all equals.

Dale, Jovan, Dave76 and 2 others like this.
  6. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

I'd agree with the last post and counter the original OP and add this. They fought many different styles and still came out better

7. JesterX

JesterX Disciple

But, but it's Bruce Lee man! (Sob.)
    I see your point, it's not like he actually won any compettions anywhere (or even a street fight, that I'm aware of).
    I think this list was compliled by people who don't actually know much about martial arts, hence the stress on fighters/actors who have had an abundance of press if little else.

Jovan, dmach and RJ Clark like this.
  8. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

The only movie star that fits in this list,in my opinion, is Bruce Lee. And why is Brock lesnar in it? His mma career was very short. And where are the kickboksers? No offense but this video is obviously made by someone that lives in the USA because there isn't a lot of interest in kickboxing in there. Peter Aerts, Semmy schilt, are great martial artists. It is a list of martial artist so in my opinion they hade to put more kind of martial artists in it. Also Royce Gracie had to be in it. Judoka's, kickboksers, muay thai fighters, wrestlers, maybe they had to give them also some credits.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Dave76 and RJ Clark like this.
  9. Dave76

Kickboxers, hmmmm.........Benny 'the jet' Urquidez comes to mind. Undoubtedly a badass of the sport. Perfect record in 5 different weight divisions , I'd have to google it, but I think it was something like 54-0. Definitely deserves to be on a list of greatest fighters ever, in their respective styles. Gets my vote for greatest movie fight scene ever also. With Jackie Chan in 'Dragons Forever'.

10. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

His record was 49-1-1, He was a great kickboxer but he fought in the time there weren't really big divisions in kickboxing so its hard to compare him with other kickboxers. In my opinion, Peter Aerts and Semmy Schilt are the best kickboxers ever. Schilt won the K1 Grand Prix 4 times, he was heavyweight champion in the K1 as well as in Glory. He also did a few MMA matches. I think he really deserved to be in that list.

11. Dave76

According to his own website -

Benny “The Jet’s” professional fighting record stands at 200 plus wins and Zero (0) losses, his accomplished World Title Defense Record Stands at 63 wins and zero (0) losses, with “57 knockouts.” Unprecedented in ring history, Benny “The Jet” is the only fighter to have retained six World Championships in five weight divisions for 24 consecutive years. Coming out of retirement in 1993 at the age of 42, he again demonstrated his unique fighting style, defeating Yoshihisa Tagami the 25-year-old Japanese World Welterweight Champion to win the World Light Middle Weight Championship. “The Jet” is the longest reigning World Champion of all Professional Sports in history.

According to wiki -

Benny Urquidez (born June 20, 1952) is an American kickboxer, martial arts choreographer and actor.[2] Nicknamed The Jet, Urquidez was a non-contact karate competitor who later pioneered full-contact fighting in the U.S.[3][4] He made the transition from point to full-contact karate in 1974 – the year of its inception in the U.S. – frequently fighting in bouts where the rules were ambiguous and contrasts in styles were dramatic. Urquidez is also known for once holding the rare achievement of six World Titles in five different weight divisions, and Urquidez remained largely undefeated in his 27-year career. His only loss came in a Muay Thai bout.[5]

Between 1974 and 1993, he amassed a documented professional record of 49–1–1 (win-loss-draw) with 35 knockouts and two controversial no-contests, although he is also supposed to have an additional record of 10–0–1 (10 KOs) in undocumented pro fights, making a total of 59–1–2–2 (45 KOs).[6] However, sources vary with Ratings listing Urquidez as 63–0–1, (57 knockouts) and on his own official webpage, Urquidez lists his fight record as 200–0, and says he was 63–0, with 57 knockouts in title defenses. Also, he claims to have been undefeated in the "Adult Black Belt Division" prior to entering full-contact karate. Black Belt magazine voted Urquidez "Competitor of the Year" in 1978.

Seems like it was a time when records weren't to accurate. Either way he was undoubtedly king of the kickboxing ring for a long time.

Agreed(y).
    But this just goes to demonstrate my point, there's no list big enough to put every great fighter in history on. Which is why these lists are a bit silly really. Keeping it to each fighters own style is the only realistic way IMHO.

Jovan likes this.
  12. Tatsu

Tatsu Grasshoppa

Bruce Lee would destroy any martial artists in these videos in a fight, ring or real life. What he was able to do is ridiculous. Have you read the The Art of Expressing the Human Body. Some highlights: Bruce standing with arms at his side had is punch clocked. .05-.08 seconds was were he was timed. He kicked a 150 pound punching off its mount into the air and 15 ft in to some ones yard. He could send a 300 pound bag up slapping the ceiling from a single side kick. That speed and power plus his technique and genius level intelligence was just a monster to have to test. And Jeet Kune Do was not finished since he died. His martial arts philosophy is just restating and explaining things that have existed way before his birth. I have not seen anyone to this day as fast or as powerful as him.

13. Kuyaken

Bruce Lee is NOT a God, I think he's a good martial artist but he wouldn't hold a title in the cage as there's far to many better fighters than him in the ring.
    Chuck Norris knows best, when asked who would win, he answered respectively but we all know Chuck would win.

Consider putting Many Paquao against Mohammed Ali (in his prime) a heavyweight against a flyweight a no contest in my eyes

His films kick thing are from a 50 meter run up, sorry but most well trained martial artists could do that. (Rocky Balboa bursts a speedball).

Jeet Kune Do is not represented in the cage as far as I'm aware. And its more or less Escrima or Doces Pares with a Chinese badge, Lee also favoured the Filipino "Nunchuku" than the Chinese or Japanese "Nuckuku" as it was shorter.

Personally I feel that Lee learnt morer from Innosanto that Innosanto learned from Lee

Eric Dufurrena and Jovan like this.
  14. Tatsu

Tatsu Grasshoppa

1- where did i say bruce lee was a god? I listed a few of his abilities and known facts. Just those alone dwarf what I have seen any Martial Artist do today. 2- Fighters in the ring better than Bruce? name them please. And since their is no way they can fight what are the basis of your argument and please be specific? 3- Yes, you have a point either way he would have said it for that reason. but Chuck has submitted in interviews and books that Bruce would win. In those times were Bruce was alive actors and icons did not attack each other like that. He said it out of two reasons: 1 respect yes b/c any decent person/martial artist would say something similar out of a mutual respect for a fellow practitioner. Second, yes Chuck is a phenomenal martial artists and fought in many fights. But the fact is Bruce was much faster and hit much harder than Norris, being able to bench more than three times your weight is ridiculous and you have no grounds to say Chuck could beat him.if you do list your reason and be specific. Muhammad at manny weight would beat manny easily, its not Ali's size it was his skill. Look at pride where lightweights have handed heavy weights many loses(boxing and most martial arts are a different thing. How many MMA fighters would win against a boxer in a boxing match? Not many. Most likely mayweather would rape A Silva in boxing). Real MAs know that size does not determine the victor. I have lived and experienced this myself. Bruce has beaten much bigger opponents, trained or just street fighters. 4-Rocky is not real. 5- JKD is not finished and was not designed for the ring. 6- Innosanto thing, there is no reason to even talk about b/c that is a just a thought and not a fact. Lee skill is a fact.

Kuyaken likes this.
  15. Kuyaken

Lee is not fact, he's a good movie start and everyone believes the hype.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a hater, Lee was a very good martial artist but he was not the best. I have all his films and many of his books. None of the stuff he's supposed to have done can be supported in courts as they are all hearsay. Norris was World Champion and a lot heavier.

I think many of the UFC champions would be able to defeat Lee in a match off. the likes of Baz Rutten, Chuck Ledell and George St Pierre and even the Gracie brothers would be able to tie him up.

This guy would beat him

I think that many tend to not be ab le to remove fact from fiction here. Even Eddie Murphy looks good on film but in reality couldn't fight his way through a paper bag (he's been quoted as saying that)

I think that if Lee had competed in Pride or UFC or one of the others he may have held a title for a while but would have been defeated eventually.

If Jeet Kune Do was the best "style" out there, wouldn't you be practicing that and nothing else. Why is it using so many techniques and weapons from Escrima/Kali IF its not rebadged with A Chinese Name.

Jovan likes this.
  16. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

No matter how you come down on Bruce Lee, he did not fight therefore he would not belong on this list. He was a great athlete, and his philosophy on fighting seems sound (he did get interested in grappling many years before it became popular) but only a fighter can be considered a fighter. The only reason I am not sure Bruce would have been the be all end all of today is that his biggest asset was his training and athleticism, but guys like that are a dime-a-dozen these days.

Kuyaken and Dave76 like this.
  17. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

If I listed any fighter here for him, they win, because Bruce Lee did not fight. Whether you think he could or not unfortunately won't do anything for your argument.
    Who has Bruce beaten? I have heard and read that Bruce Lee had a few fights as a kid in Hong Kong, than the one fight against Sifu Wong, who was probably about as big as him, who else has he fought?
    Of course it was never finished. It wasn't technically started. It's not even a style, it's a philosophy. Jeet Kune Do is personal. In a sense, if you add or subtract even one technique from your traditional art, you are practicing Jeet Kune Do.

Judah and Kuyaken like this.
  18. Judah

Judah fights in tights

There were no women on that list either

19. Arun Kumar Saha

Arun Kumar Saha Initiate

There is no Good Style or Bad Style only Good Fighters vs Bad Fighters.