training ideas.

Discussion in 'Muay Thai' started by Grimjow, Jul 6, 2012.

?

what are your thoughts on training with weighted clothing?

1. too much?

16.7%
  2. or good results?

83.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Grimjow

Grimjow Initiate

Ive been trying to come up with new training ideas. My newest idea I guess you could say would be running a fee laps with leg weights. How do you feel about weighted clothing?? To all.

Deborah likes this.
  3. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

Hi Grimjow

Could you be more specific?
    - Is this for you or your students? If students - what age category?
    - Is this for martial art conditioning or technques?
    - What type of martial arts?

Thanks

4. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hiya Grimjow pleased to meet you my new martial friend and great first thread. I like using ankle weights when practicing my kicks and wrist weights too. Weights on my ankles while I kick aid in strength and speed a well as stamina. The wrist weights I use I find they too aid in strength and speed training......peace and respects my new martial friend xxxxxXXxxxxx

RJ Clark and Grimjow like this.
  5. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

Running with leg weights is not advised. Can lead to knee problems, But as an aid to punching and kicking power they are ideal

Enkidu, dmach, MadoreGojuRyu and 2 others like this.
  6. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

It's great for excersizes, but a bad idea when sparring. I use weights on my ankles, and weighted gloves for shadow boxing, i use suburi boken for weapons practice, i don't like the weighted vests (just personal preference), but i do movement drills with a weighted camel pack.

Enkidu, Grimjow and Caneman like this.
  7. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Yes, train, but don't spar. Weighted jackets, ruck sacks w/ bricks, etc. We even do forms with dumbells in our hands... so, of course you make the hand movements slower to prevent injury. So, we typically progress from weights, to no weights average speed, to as fast as you can move.

DharkAwakening and Blade Maker like this.
  8. shyquille graves

shyquille graves Warrior Monk

dont get ankle weights they will give you problems in the long run but get the ufc sleeves weights they go on ur shins and fore arms the weighted vests are good from what ive seen

RJ Clark and Blade Maker like this.
  9. Grimjow

Grimjow Initiate

It's really nice to meet you too Deborah and the rest of you as well. I really like your idea though,using the weights when practicing forms

Deborah likes this.
  10. Grimjow

Grimjow Initiate

Yes sir I'm a student. Just striving for the best. I'm a white gold belt in tae kwon do.im 24 years old and i hope to have my own students one day

Deborah likes this.
  11. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

It all depends on what your doing looking for...
    If you want to build muscle mass; weight lifting is the best.
    If you want build power in technique; use weighted clothing.

DharkAwakening, Deborah and Grimjow like this.
  12. Bruce

Bruce Samurai

Try running up steps or hills, that will put a burn on.

If you want serious pain bunny - hop (squat jumps) up a serious of low steps, just watch you don't blow your knee out!

13. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Doing anything with extra weight is a time honoured tradition. I know that the Roman Legionnaire used to go Everywhere with up to 60 lbs of extra weight on his back o_O. I've known guys preparing for selection in the SAS who used to put 20 Litre Water cans in their back pack and go for a run.

The body adapts and you will find yourself moving faster without the weight and your endurance improves as well. But as Gung Ho and cool as it sounds, remember to start small and work upward. :)

DharkAwakening, RJ Clark and Deborah like this.
  14. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Better to use weights in the way dmach mention. Use a weighted vest. Adding hand or leg weights has a much higher potential for injury without any increase in efficacy.

15. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

Weight resistance is a good training aid for overall development, but wrist and ankle weights could lead to unknown medical problems in the future

16. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

BTW... use the weight of a partner. We do drills all the time where you pick up your partner and put them over your shoulders, or they wrap around the front or back of you and hang on... and you do squats with them... and other exercises. The tactile close in on the movement, even when not doing a combative movement... is very useful for later when you do combative close-in movements.
    Hard to explain except through doing it, but the more you work with the weigh and distribution of the human body, the easier it is to manipulate that weight close-in.

RJ Clark and Deborah like this.
  17. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

This is EXACTLY what we do in my gym, no matter what height/weight your training partner is. Which is beneficial to most of my opponents, but on the other hand.....not so easy for meo_O!! Love, respects and smiles all xxxxXXXXxxxxXXXXxxxx

18. David Manson

David Manson Disciple

Katas and shadow boxing with weighted gloves. Katas and sparring on an uneven surface such as a hill side are some of my faverites.

Deborah likes this.
  19. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

If you do choose to run with ankle weights, stay on the balls of your feet (don't let your feet land heel first). I've had great results with no injury doing it that way. Quick cautionary tale: if you're hitting pads, shadowboxing, etc with wrist or ankle weights make sure they're the sand-filled type. One of the local backyard mma groups had a guy almost loose an eye using the adjustable wrist weights (metal bars that slide into pockets) when one came flying out during focus mitt work.

Deborah likes this.
  20. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

Almost ALL TKD classes I have taken or seen have A LOT of muscle and sports conditioning drills in the classes. If that is true, then focus on basic weights (each major muscle group once per week), and some cardio, maybe even yoga. You grow when you rest, not when you train, so do not do more. :)

21. johnnewman

johnnewman Initiate

An old but informative discussion. I am very new to this forum and i guess i have landed to the right thing.