Turning the other cheek

Discussion in 'Striking Martial Arts' started by Vldz, Feb 1, 2013.

1. JesterX

JesterX Disciple

This thread is running along some lines of thought I have been having recently.

The area where I live is very "fire arm friendly" (in fact there was a recent u-tube video of a fellow strolling through a local Sears store with an AR-15 strapped to his back.) And it strikes me (at least here) that one would be better off pulling a 9mm and shooting holes in an assailant rather then using a martial art one has spent months and years of sweat and effort to learn.

I mean doesn't it seem odd to anyone else that this guy could walk around with a semi-auto rifle and not get hassled? But I'll but fair money that if I walked down the street with a Kwan Tao, a Naginata, or even just a broad sword strapped to my back the police would be all over me.

dmach likes this.
  2. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

I've heard stories like that and wonder what the point is of showing off that kind of firepower. It's almost like he's daring someone to say something - intimidation, even.

I agree though that the cops would have a shit-fit if we carried some of our toys in public. Maybe the difference is that there are clear-cut laws for firearms but not for broadswords ... they don't know how to handle something like that, because it isn't in the rule book.

3. rockstarpc

rockstarpc Initiate

I hear what your saying Jester. In my state you can carry a concealed handgun, but it is a felony to carry a concealed knife. In my county the stats show 25% of people are carrying at any given time. I personaly carry my blade at all times regardless. Guess that makes me a criminal.

4. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

3 months for defending yourself? (which actually supposed to be one of your very basic human right), that's crazy.

What kind of world do we live in now?

SifuPhil likes this.
  5. SifuPhil

Evidently a very screwy one. :(

Kevin Hall likes this.
  6. Michael Spivey

Michael Spivey Warrior Monk

It all depends on where you live. Here in New Mexico every assault is assumed to be made with deadly force, for every attack or assault it is assumed that the intent is to kill, no further examination or inquiry is necessary, you may defend yourself or your loved ones using any and all methods. IF someone breaks in your home the assumption is that they intended to kill you. I as a civilian am authorized under NM Law to detain and if necessary subdue ANYONE I witness committing a felony, IF they fight back or attempt to flee, deadly force is authorized. Here ones auto has the same exact status as ones home, I always have a loaded and concealed weapon in my vehicle when traveling around the state. Stock laws are still very active, stealing of stock is called rustling and it is a felony, the owner of the "stock", stock is defined as the animals one owns, is within their power to use deadly force to PREVENT their stock from being taken when it is being rustled.

Here STUPID is supposed to hurt.

dmach, Vldz, Mr.Bond and 1 other person like this.
  7. SifuPhil

I'm moving to New Mexico. :cool:

Vldz, Dave76 and Locutus like this.
  8. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Try Turkey. No laws here now :)

SifuPhil likes this.
  9. Sabomnim Dan

Sabomnim Dan Disciple

We don't need to. We just shake hands and go to the pub for a cold beer after every fight. ;)

Locutus and dmach like this.
  10. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Generation X Australians will, Gen Y... Yeah in my opinion not so much. But in any case, I think that the whole - few hits and its over thing is lost on the young. A modern Australian Youth is more likely to come back with a few of his mates - Violence begetting more Violence. Mind you there are some in this society that think they can do what they like to who they like - but raise hell if they are on the recieving end. The way I figure it, if I am going to go to jail for defending myself or my loved ones, might as well put a few of the Bastards in wheel chairs for the rest of their lives and make the jail time worth it! ;)

Dave76, SifuPhil and Sabomnim Dan like this.
  11. SifuPhil

Sorry - I still have nightmares from watching Midnight Express ... :eek:

Locutus likes this.
  12. Locutus

Here the nightmares are running the country :)

SifuPhil likes this.
  13. SifuPhil

My condolences - I saw just a small bit of coverage and it looks insane.

14. Locutus

Still going on. Just a little while ago a taxi plowed into a group of protesters and killed one. Actually it could be a good chance to test my Aikido in a real life situation :mad:

SifuPhil likes this.
  15. SifuPhil

Wow - well, be careful if you do. You know how mobs get - all cranky and stuff ... :rolleyes:

Locutus likes this.
  16. Michael Spivey

Michael Spivey Warrior Monk

The only times I "Turn the Other Cheek" is when I am striking with a spinning back fist, a spinning elbow, of a spinning kick of some flavor.

Vldz and SifuPhil like this.
  17. SifuPhil

I know what you mean - I only do it when I'm sunbathing nude. :wideyed:

18. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Discretion is the better part of valor (yes, even I follow that as a rule). Besides, you've got no wrist to twist when it's a motor vehicle, projectile of the slow to super-sonic sort, etc ;) But seriously, be smart and stay safe to you and yours, mister!

Dave76, SifuPhil and Locutus like this.
  19. No argument against absolute logic...But a slapp is disrespectful..not hard as to a woman.Take this as humility and trun...

20. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Gents...
    This was meant as a limitation to justice... not an edict to follow as example. The problem of the time was, for example... that if you killed my family member... my "justice" would be to kill your entire family.
    It was in place as a limit... not a guidance to action.

DeeD, Vldz and SifuPhil like this.