UFC 157 Rousey vs Carmouche

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by MattCMMA, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

That was a great fight. Especially starting at two minutes into the third round.

2. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Just watched this on catchup. I was disappointed with both headline fights if I'm honest. Hendo looked like every movement he made in the fight was awkward and forced (thoguh in part that was probably down to Machida's movements and fantastic distancing) and Machida looked like he was only working at half of his max potential.

I really want to see more of Rousey's stand up game and more pressure put on her in future. When Carmouche almost had that rear naked choke she was visibly shaken. Both women came out strong and the intensity was there pretty much throughout.

Still it is definitely a step forward for the sport. Nice to see some of that female aggression in the octagon.

3. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Bad call. Good intensions, but a bad call.

4. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I say he stopped the fight just a tad early. But if you watch, Koscheck's head bounces off the floor like a basketball. This is one situation where I think it would have probably ended up the same though, so I'm not angry. I'd rather it stop to early then to late...

5. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Great stoppage. I'm surprised others see this differently. He wasn't intelligently defending himself. Look at his hands. Anyone who has trained MMA will know that in that position you need to have your hands up defending yourself better. He was rocked, no doubt about it.

One thing people haven't talked about online is the knee Kos took. It was the knee that fucked him up badly. After that, you could see he was on cloud 9 and he was taking punches on the ground. He went from being the dominant fighter to not knowing what was happening after the knee.

It's strange though isn't it. All fighters in the UFC should have the conditioning to go three rounds non stop the way nick diaz does....but even though it's sloppy, it's exciting to see two tired fighters not giving up and swinging from the fences.

Eric Dufurrena and Locutus like this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Agreed. The punch that landed that bounced his head off the ground would have done lots of damage. You can't let a fighter take those pictures and there is no doubt he would have taken more of those had the fight not been stopped.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  7. Angelos Koskinas

Angelos Koskinas Initiate

I dindt think it was a bad stoppage. I have seen much worse. In my opinion chances are he would have eaten 2 or 3 more shots and been out anyways from that position so why let the guy take the punishment. It was the head bounce off the mat that sold the knock out.

Plus Herb Dean is one of the better refs and looked to be protecting the fighter since those shots were going unblocked. in addition Herb Dean let the Grice fight keep going when questionable so he defiantely doesnt have a tendency to stop fights prematurely for this event.

all in all i say it is what it is. we cant change it and with kos's fan base i dbt too many people will make a big stink about it.

8. Angelos Koskinas

Do you think the beard plays any factor in absorbing punches. Ive never had a beard to know but a lot of people ive spoken to say its a small layer of padding and prevents cuts.

9. Angelos Koskinas

Never seen that Knee bar before. that thing was ridiculous. I havent seen bonuses yet but its amazing that that might not be submission of the night taking Ronda and urijah's submissions given that they are bigger draws for the organization.

10. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Yeah, I've seen worse stoppages also, but a bad stoppage is a bad stoppage with no need to scale it. He may have very well eaten more shots since Lawler actually swept the top hand out of his way to throw more punches, but we can also just as easily speculate that Koschek was going to get his leg in and push Robbie off since Josh was by no means out (not saying he wasn't hurting). I'm also not saying Herb Dean was supposed to let dozens of punches rain down unanswered, but he certainly should have waited another five to ten seconds to see if Koscheck was truly out of the fight. Insert anyone else in this scenario and I'd be saying the same.
    As far as anyone thinking head bouncing from a punch indicates a knock-out, well it doesn't. When you're on the ground and someone is in any kind of top position you keep your head off the mat to be able to absorb shots. I'm speaking from experience of giving and taking when I say guys can absorb even big shots as long as your head is up off the mat. I would have said stop the fight instantly if Lawler landed those couple of shots with Koschek's head on the mat.

But what's done is done. Now you can expect Koschek to be one of the over one hundred guys cut/to be cut from the UFC. In a way it's great for the fans as we can see those guys in smaller venues as they work their way back into the UFC.

11. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

The beard gives you super powers. I have no doubt that the minute Hendricks shaves his beard, he will be beat!

Locutus, RJ Clark and MattCMMA like this.
  12. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I was thinking the opposite, I think it makes it easier for you to hit him, as after fighting for a while both your gloves and your chin get a bit slick with sweat, I think the beard nullifies that. Not enough to actually matter, but yeah.

13. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Chuck Norris has a beard. Thus ends the beard discussion. XD

14. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Looks like Chiesa's beard could eat Chuck Norris's for lunch. There is enough room in that beard to hold a leg as well as a fist.
    Michael_Chiesa_fist_leg.jpg

MattCMMA likes this.