UFC 158: St-Pierre vs Diaz Pre-fight Press Conference

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by Kevin, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

This is gunna be a great fight!

2. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

:ROFLMAO:

3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

same here, that was awesome.

4. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Welterweight is my favorite division in the UFC from day 1. Here's the post interview I was talking about.

5. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Just bet Nick Diaz will get cut after UFC 158, +1500 . I think hes going to fail his drug test. Dana has already threatened to cut him if he fails. It will be his 3rd time if he pisses hot.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  6. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

LOL... I thought I was the ONLY ONE!

Enkidu likes this.
  7. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

GSP finishing someone..................

Now that would be nice to see:whistle:

8. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

You know, it's only in his past 5 fights that he gets a bad rap for. His record is awesome. Everyone always criticizes him for not finishing his opponents, how come no one criticizes his opponents for not finishing him? I think he is being a little over wary, overall, but honestly no one really comes close to stopping HIM...and his fights previous have some great KO's and submissions. Look at his fight with Dan Hardy, he tried 13 submissions, but Hardy was able to stop them all. Does that mean GSP sucks? Or is it that the caliber of talent is so high, since he only fights #1 contenders (and Diaz :ROFLMAO:) that the odds of finishing have gone down significantly?

MattCMMA and RJ Clark like this.
  9. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Oh I know and agree. Was just having a dig. His last few fights have just been all about the jab, take down and stay down. Even though I appreciate his skill and that of most of his opponents....his fights are getting predictable and therefore boring:cautious:
    Still think he's pretty awesome, just wish he would change it up once in a while, maybe get back to his Karate roots and start throwing combo switch kicks......I would love to see Diaz go down to a kick in the face. Hell, I will just be happy to see Diaz go down, no refs decision.

Totally selfish thoughts really, wanting him to try something different just because I'm getting bored:LOL:
    It's not my ass on the line afterall, if it was and I had found my strength in certain areas to be unbeatable, I'd be doing the same thing all the time too, so no I don't really hold it against him.

As I said, was just having a dig;)

10. Eric Dufurrena

Okay, when he fought Condit, he did take him down, and he did some awesome, bloody ground and pound. But before him was Jake Shields, it was a total standing fight, and before him it was Josh Koscheck, a total standing fight, and before him it was vs. Dan Hardy, where Georges took him down at will and attempted many submissions (Hardy will NOT give up!!!). So just talking about the last 4 fights, he went ground on 2 of them, and was very technical and active. The other 2 were standing for almost the enitre 25 minutes. Each of these fights was different from the last.

Having said that, I agree it would be awesome if Georges just went freaking nuts and unleashed hell on Diaz.

11. RJ Clark

Great point. If he's so predictable and they know what's coming (takedowns and wrestling) and yet can't stop it then that's a reflection on their inability to train that or defend against it at an elite level. Then you can whine like Diaz about how people don't want to see any skill set other than what he has (boxing and jiu jitsu) and everyone should fight just like him, but make sure you don't build any explosive strength because combat and martial arts has nothing to do with fitness other than cardio (since he's a runner/triathlete, it's OK).

Eric Dufurrena and MattCMMA like this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Good fighters? They are two of the best fighters in the world. It sounds like you don't follow MMA. GSP is a very respectful fighter and someone who has stayed true to his martial arts roots.

I find it strange that you would even question if these guys are good fighters. These guys fight for a living. Many martial arts experts haven't been in a fight in years.

Enkidu, Eric Dufurrena, DeeD and 2 others like this.
  13. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

haha I said the same thing to my GSP fanatic buddy

14. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Gsp looks like a caged animal in that video look at his eyes, Definately looking at smashing Nics head in

15. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

16. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

interesting article i like how he goes into the technical aspect of his game, I do think though that his position and stance is the only reason he lands a lot of those circular style punches because of his proximity, He also waits for his opponent to throw that kick and with his weight over his front leg helps him to throw that power hook he likes from closer range, unorthodox is may respects but works for him

17. Eric Dufurrena

I always say, GSP wins because he controls where the fight is at. Was excited to hear him say so in the post fight, Joe Rogan interview!

MattCMMA, RJ Clark and Enkidu like this.
  18. dgasmd

dgasmd Disciple

First of, let me apologize for the fact that I did not see this was the MMA sub-forum. When I open the page I hit "what's new", and completely missed the fact that this post was here. Would I have posted something different? No, I probably felt the same way, but I would have chosen not to post it here in particular knowing there would be a few of you that would be too sensitive.

Second, some of you seem to have a serious reading comprehension problem. For those, I am highlighting the parts that should give you some clues on how to read the post the way it reads not necessarily the way some of you want to make it.

Third, I do think some of these MMA pro-fighters are exceptionally talented at what they do and some in martial art as well, which in my eyes and opinion are not the same thing regardless of what belt you have under which school or teacher. These guys (promoters, UFC like institutions, fighters, etc) took an aspect of martial arts, fighting an opponent, and turned it into a show/entertainment for the sole purpose of making money. At the end of the night, the sole purpose is to entertain a crowd, no different than the clown at the circus (which has an acting ability, but ask DeNiro how he feels about it), the stripper at the peep show (talented dancer also), and the graffiti/tattoo artist (wonder how VanGogh would feel about them). That type of entertainment attracts a certain type of crowd that loves violence, so the most blood and senseless brutality, trash talk, and bragging/cock measuring contest, the more entertained the crowd is = the better the fighters are = the more they spend = the more they will continue to come back to spend. If some of you can't see that, then there is nothing I can say that will make you see it. Then again, this is the opinion of some random and anonymous internet forum member. Take it for what it is worth to you!!!(y)

Locutus likes this.
  19. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Two things surprised me about last night's main event:

First, I was surprised that the fight was standing for as long as it was due, in large part, to Nick Diaz being more effective stopping GSP's take downs than anyone I have seen before. I though all 5 rounds were going to look like the first two, but starting in the 3rd round, Diaz started stuffing GSP's take downs regularly and GSP had to work pretty hard to get them after that (although he did in every round).

Second, had someone told me that the majority of the minutes of the fight would have been spent standing, I would have guessed that Diaz would have won a couple rounds since he is an EXCELLENT boxer with a long reach (longer than GSP). I was truly amazed at GSP's ability to continually land with his jab and superman punch. I won't say that he out-boxed Diaz, but he definitely held his own in the stand-up, which was the one aspect of the fight I thought Diaz had a clear advantage.

RJ Clark likes this.
  20. RJ Clark

Without turning it into a big pissing contest, I thought your initial knee-jerk opinion was a bit extreme and dismissive of these accomplished martial artists who apply their skills in combat sports, specifically in the MMA format. I'm sure you've met other martial artists who's personality perhaps grated on your nerves, but would you refer to them as being little more than an animal? Then your secondary explanation to those few, et al actually exacerbated that unfortunately. But of course you are entitled to your opinion. Just as I'm entitled to think that your conclusion is not well-informed or reasoned.

MattCMMA and Eric Dufurrena like this.