UFC 158

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by Kevin, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

That's the third round that ended with GSP on top.

Last round coming up.

2. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

GSP won that with a landslide. Last round on top again.

Surprised Diaz wasn't more aggressive. He seemed quite cautious throughout the fight.

3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

In 138 scoring rounds since losing to Serra, GSP has lost a total of 7 rounds, but never the same round on all 3 judges' cards

12 takedowns in the Condit fight and not one thing done with them..

4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I don't mind his style per say. He gets the job done, and rarely gets beat up. However, I can understand why it polarises people.

Yet, Nick Diaz played his part in the match not living up to expectations. He seemed completely uninterested when the fight was standing up. Remember how aggressive he was against BJ Penn. Heck, he was still really aggressive against Condit.

5. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

GSP shut his game down with wrestling. plain and simple. How many has put Diaz on his heels ever? not even condit could do that.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Post-fight conference just starting.

7. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Condit got robbed. Hendricks found out he couldn't KO condit and took him down, but couldn't do a damn thing on the ground. the reason there was so many takedowns in 3 rounds is because Condit attacked and got back on his feet.

8. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I wouldn't say he was robbed. It goes back to the issue about how takedowns should be scored. At the moment, I think there's too much emphasis on takedowns. The way things are currently scored, I think Hendricks won.

If takedowns were scored differently, it could have been a different result...but it still would have been close.

9. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

10. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Condit was ahead in all rounds in significant strikes. Hendricks had 12 takedowns. Condit had 0.

11. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

This is hilarious. Nick Diaz says he deserves a rematch with GSP (after losing 50-45 unanimously). He then calls out Anderson Silva two or three times.

12. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Matt- Nick is on your side. He just said Condit won and that MMA is geared for wrestlers.

13. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I was astonished how easy Hendricks made it look. I said Condit would win this one, and after the first round I knew I was wrong!

14. Eric Dufurrena

I enjoy his style. Huge fan of BJJ and ground game. Every time Diaz complained about grappling in MMA, I thought to myself, go do boxing, then. The way that GSP was able to totally shut down Diaz is what I love about MMA! On a side note, if this was your first time watching Diaz, he looked HORRIBLE. At times, he was just walking away from GSP. He only pushed in the last round, and only for a few minutes. His amazing cardio didn't seem to keep up with GPS's.

15. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Well, after the fight, he said many times about how he didn't want to give excuses, and then gave about 20 different excuses. One was that no one was telling him when to go to bed (He's 29!). So he slept until 8 at night. It wouldn't surprise me if that was actually true. If it was true, it would maybe explain the way he was in the ring. He had no fire.

The problem is, he talked the talk, but couldn't walk the walk.

He shouldn't retire.....but he should move camp. Despite what some people will say, he's a very accomplished martial artist. His style is just very limited. Good BJJ and rock em sock em boxing isn't going to work on someone with high class wrestling. Which is why he has a punchers chance against Condit in a rematch....but Hendricks would take him down at will (not to mention knock him out).

Locutus and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  16. Eric Dufurrena

I am glad he didn't really complain about the fact that GSP took him down and such. The point of martial arts, ultimately, is to control your opponent, which GSP does in spades. Anyone disagree with that?

17. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I love the post fight interview, Diaz is definitely a character

Diaz: "They were, they were. You know. (Points at GSP) This guy has no punching power. I'm sorry, you're a wrestler. (GSP laughs, Hendricks looks down). But you know, he don't have punching power

18. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

the scoring definitely favours wrestlers

19. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

I just finished watching the GSP vs Diaz fight. I have to say I was a bit disappointed in it. I thought Diaz would have done a lot more than what he did. Then after the fight when he was talking with Joe I understood. He has no heart in it any more.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  20. Eric Dufurrena

So does fighting!