UFC Heavyweight Matt Mitrione Suspended for “Breach of Conduct” Following Fallon Fox Rant

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by Kevin, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

From http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-heavyw...r-breach-of-conduct-following-fallon-fox-rant

Matt Mitrione may have won his most recent heavyweight bout in the UFC without an injury, but he won’t be fighting again in a hurry.
    Bloody Elbow reports that the former NFL player andUltimate Fighter alumnus has been suspended by the UFC for a “significant” breach in the promotion’s “code of conduct” on Monday, where he insulted transgender fighter Fallon Fox during an interview with Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour.
    As such, the UFC issued the following statement to MMAWeekly.com content partner Bleacher Report regarding Mitrione, who called Fox a “disgusting freak” for fighting in the women’s division:
    The UFC was appalled by the transphobic comments made by heavyweight Matt Mitrione today in an interview on [The MMA Hour].
    The organization finds Mr Mitrione’s comments offensive and wholly unacceptable and – as a direct result of this significant breach of the UFC’s code of conduct – Mr Mitrione’s UFC contract has been suspended and the incident is being investigated.
    The UFC is a friend and ally of the LGBT community, and expects and requires all 450 of its athletes to treat others with dignity and respect.
    While several UFC personalities (including color commentator Joe Rogan) do not believe that Fox—a 37-year-old, male-to-female transgendered athlete—should be competing with women, Mitrione is the first UFC fighter to verbally attack Fallon with insults on a widely broadcast show like The MMA Hour.
    Aside from insinuating that Fox had “mental problems” for fighting in the women’s MMA division, Mitrione also joked that Fox’s fights were akin to infamous rapper Chris Brown beating up his current girlfriend, Barbadian pop star Rihanna:
    He’s chromosomally a man. He had a gender change, not a sex change. He’s still a man. He was a man for 31 years. Thirty-one years. That’s a couple years younger than I am. He’s a man. Six years of taking performance de-hancing drugs, you think is going to change all that? That’s ridiculous.
    That is a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak. And I mean that. Because you lied on your license to beat up women. That’s disgusting. You should be embarrassed yourself. And the fact that Florida licensed him because California licensed him or whoever the hell did it, it’s an embarrassment to us as fighters, as a sport, and we all should protest that. The woman that’s fighting him, props to you. I hope you beat his ass, and I hope he gets blackballed and never fights again, because that’s disgusting and I’m appalled by that.
    Hence, Mitrione will be suspended for an as-of-yet undetermined amount of time.
    It’s also unknown if Mitrione will be punished further for his remarks, but according to UFC COO Lawrence Epstein, any “discriminatory comment” about members of a certain community can make the responsible fighter “required” to do public service for that community.

3. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

4. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Guys have been cut for saying less. I guess you can't cut him because he just won. He went off on a rant about it and went wrong with the personal attacks.

5. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I actually think he raises some interesting points, though he probably could have been a bit more tactful about the way he put his point across.

6. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

If anything because he kept it very personal and focused his insults specifically on Fox he didn't disparage the lifestyle choice per se, and shouldn't be punished. Chael Sonnen at any given moment will rip on someone or anything else that comes to mind ten times worse than that but because it's funny he gets a free pass. Whereas Mitrione gets suspended for showing genuine disgust for Fox lying (trying to maintain an ongoing lie should easily earn someone the label liar, so Fox owns that) and growing/developing as a man for thirty+ years who now wants to fight and compete as a woman.
    Joe Rogan had a great (mostly serious) discussion about Fallon Fox

Kevin and Charlay Atkins like this.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I have to agree with what Rogan says.

It's like one of us deciding to fight women in a ring. So we take the hormones and two years later we are beating up ladies in a ring. Regardless of what is happening in our boxers (or panties!), we would still have the bone structure and strength of a man.

Perhaps the guy/lady would have had more supporters if he was open about it all. It's unfair to go in there without disclosing her background.

8. Eric Dufurrena

I saw an episode of that MMA talk show with Kenny and Bas, they had reports from doctors that said when transgender guys to girls go through hormone treatments, they are actually changed. In a lot of other sports they are treated as females, even in boxing. However, I still call bullshit.

9. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

I agree with you as well. This is why
    As well this

Eric Dufurrena, RJ Clark and Kevin like this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

But their bones can't change. That's one of the biggest problems. They are still physically stronger.

DeeD and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  11. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Apparently they do, look in the bone section here.

12. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Wow. I'm really surprised about that. I'm amazed bones can be changed through those tablets.

13. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Bones are more active than what people think. As Martial Artists we should know, after all don't we purposely create micro fractures in our bones to make them stronger? Well some of us do, I have an aversion to pain....unless it is inflicting it on someone else :mask:

14. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Actually you linked the female to male... where as in this case it's male to female.

Male to female
    Female to Male
    But you're right. Bone density and such does change through the process.

15. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

16. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Ronda Rousey throws her opinion in

17. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

yea Ronda wont pick up as much of a media storm i dont think because shes Ronda and shes a women and lets be honest Dana absolutely loves her :love:

18. Eric Dufurrena

She didn't attack Fallon personally, calling her names and such, she was just a bit inappropriate, politically, but she didn't directly disrespect Fallon.

MattCMMA likes this.
  19. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Yeah, I think they need to watch that they aren't perceived to be picking sides and being harder on fighters who are not highly ranked.

I can't help but think, that if the UFC didn't respond the way they did, very few people would have had actually heard what Mitrione said.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.