What are your and/or your schools view on proper hydration/staying hydrated?

Discussion in 'Healthy Eating & Nutrition' started by RJ Clark, Jun 29, 2012.

1. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

As I'm killing time to wait for the worst of today's heat wave to pass and refilling my CamelBak, I figured I may as well ask this. I'm old enough to have had coaches/trainers etc look at hydration as showing weakness, blah blah blah. Does anyone still have to deal with an instructor/trainer who's extreme about this?

Deborah likes this.
  3. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

I'm old-school also and I have to admit that I don't fully understand the students that are sucking out of their water bottles every 30 seconds. We didn't look at it as a weakness - it was just something that was never an issue. If you were thirsty you went to the water fountain (remember those? :D ), but we never had anyone that wore a path in the carpet between the fountain and the practice area either.

Like smart phones, water bottles seem to be a modern-day touchstone for people - they've gotten used to having something constantly in their hands. I certainly wouldn't call it an addiction but there ARE several interesting parallels that one could draw.

I'm not saying hydration isn't important; I'm just saying that to these tired old eyes in many cases it seems to be more of a social / cultural thing than an actual physiological need.

4. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Hydration is incredibly important. I wouldn't listen to any coach that restricted the ability of trainees to get water during training, and if that caused an issue, I would find another place to train. I cannot believe there are still coaches and teachers out there who subscribe to a "no drinking" policy during training.

RJ Clark and Deborah like this.
  5. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Depending on the time of year you are training, Hydration is always important, especially during the summer months when the temp can get above 30 degrees (not sure what that is in Faranheit :confused: ). Not pretty watching someone drop from heat exaustion.

Deborah likes this.
  6. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

In the middle of last forms clinic, we had gone somewhere over or about 1.5 hours, in a huge "sweat box" (windows closed, no AC, Florida, Grand Master's school - it is the way he likes it :) ) without a break for water. The old military trainer mode came out in me at that point... I motioned over to the 6th Dan I train under (who was not leading, a 7th Dan was at that time but it happened to be his brother) and I told him: "Sir, we need a water break." We had one within a few minutes of that.
    We let adults monitor themselves, they can bow out any time when needed.
    Children are different, we always give them one break in a normal 1 hour class. If one asks specifically to be excused for bathroom or water, I give it to them... if it becomes a pattern... I discuss it with them.
    I have never seen it become a pattern with adults at our school. We always facilitate at least one water break.

7. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

I had a lady-friend a while back that was a yoga and Pilates instructor and she was thinking about teaching "hot" yoga (Bikram), where the room is heated to 105F - supposedly it aids in muscle stretching and body detoxification.

We went to the center where they were doing it to observe a class and after about 15 minutes I saw signs of dehydration in several of the students and one that I thought was on the edge of hyperthermia but they never took a break. They went the whole 30 minutes.

My friend decided that her insurance premiums would go up too much. :confused:

Aaron and Deborah like this.
  8. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hello FJ...I have a weird outlook on this one, I always HATED water!! But from looking after dogs when I exercised them I noticed that all the dogs continually stopped to take a drink from the burn(stream) before continuing their exercise and play....from this I came to the conclusion that if they keep hydrated so must I!! Seeing as I am known as a bit of a dog it suits me.........Love, peace and respects my martial friend XXXXXxxXXXXX

9. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

It wasn't so much as weakness though we had to always ask for permission to get a drink of water just because it can disrupt the class a lot if people keep taking drinks at different times. Usually the instructor would tell us to take a drink after the warm up and after sparring etc so it was never a problem. He's into supplements and knows the benefits of being hydrated etc so he's quite modern in that respect.

Hydration is something I've always had problems with. It wasn't uncommon for me to drink over a litre during a normal class and when I was training in Thailand in the heat I would drink about 2.5 litres of water during the session (the water had hydration tablets in it too).

RJ Clark likes this.
  10. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Hydration is important but like SifuPhil has stated, the whole "water bottle every 30 seconds" fad is starting to go a bit to far.
    If your starting to feel dehydrated, excuse yourself from class, get a drink of water.

I remember going entire hour classes of MMA/kickboxing/BJJ with only having to get water once or twice. Sparring is different, heavy sparring you should get water will your waiting your turn to spar, or after every match.

Staying hydrating is important, but everyonce in a while your should push through an entire class, remember during a self defense situation you can't ask to stop because to get a drink because your thirsty:eek: Be careful doing this, do it at your own risk, listen to your body, if you can't do it don't.