What are your favorite exercise/s that you consider combat-specific or compliment your combat style?

Discussion in 'Strength Training' started by RJ Clark, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Gone

Gone Guest

I prefer bodyweight exercises.
    I perform a few basic, compound moves every day, except once every two weeks, I go really hard and insane at it.
    Just one set each time, but the number of reps are the variable.

RJ Clark likes this.
  2. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

[​IMG]
    Seen a few of these guys at the gym...

RJ Clark and Enkidu like this.
  3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

BTW, in my training, there is no such thing as "leg day". Every day is "leg day" just as every day is "upper body day." I am a firm believer in full body training.

Judah likes this.
  4. Dave76

I don't know if you know Eric Creesy, but I've been following his strength program for about 12wks now and it's helping a lot. Single leg work is probaly the biggest thing that I had trouble with. Could'nt even do one pistol squat when I started!
    I used to hate all leg work, was on the fast track to becoming the guy in photo above. But the gains I've made since following a proper programme!
    Set warm ups and cool downs too, was guilty as charged when it came to skipping those.

5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Wow! This guys V taper runs all the way down to his ankles!lol

6. Dave76

Anyhow, specifics for BJJ... I've added rope climbs, farmers walk, kettlebell juggling and even the old kettlebell tied to rope and wind it up on a piece of dowel. Bought a bunch of cheap gi's at the local church charity store for like$2-3 each and use bits and pieces around my gym ; gi pull ups, dips using pistol grip, burpee with a jumping gi snatch pull up,etc,etc... obviously all for grip strength, endurence and snatch speed.

7. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

You may like this for Judo: wrap an uwagi around a post and slide a weight plate around on the floor to simulate certain reaping motions such as de ashi harai, o uchi gari, o kuri ashi harai, ko uchi gari, ko uchi makikomi, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised at the benefits and may add certain reaps to the favorites list that weren't there before. For larger reaping motions use ankle weights and run thru the reaping motion in slow-motion (on the same post and uwagi set up).

8. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Yeah, I am familiar with Cressey. He has some good stuff, but there is some other stuff he suggests that I am not wild about.