WHAT IS KARATE ?

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by MUHAMMAD FARHAN, Mar 17, 2013.

1. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

You sure as hell weren't fighting an mma or Thai fighter because they train with cyclic intensity against training partners, then fight in their chosen venue against another fighter. Neither ever get a chance to "forget" that their opponent isn't a punching bag that doesn't hit back. And from what I know of Kyokushin Karate they train realistically to fight full-contact as well.

2. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Yeah and I'm sure Georges St-Pierre [3rd dan Black belt in Kyokushin Karate] has been so dominant since 2007 as the welterweight champion of the UFC because he forgets as well. Kinda crazy how he could pull that off with a mentality like that.

RJ Clark and Battodoka07 like this.
  3. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Are you serious with this post? You're what, 22 years old and coming off like a seasoned fighter? How many ranked professional fighters who have a solid Kyokushin or Muay Thai background have you fought? Trust me they have technique. And taking repeated kicks to the leg can and will take a toll and can take a person out of the fight.

There are many experienced martial artists on this board, and many of them will call you out on your B.S. So perhaps next time you should think more carefully before generalizing stylists from a particular martial art from one match you had.

RJ Clark, Eric Dufurrena and MattCMMA like this.
  4. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Interesting viewpoint as the very nature of Muay thai is competition either in sparring or in actual competition, so being hit is part of what we do, Last night for instance we warmed up with court sprints,stretches etc etc then sparred for 4 min rounds changing partners for next 45 min, Depending on the level of partner this would be anything from medium sparring to full contact, So getting hit and expecting someone to fight back is well understood,

just out of interest what rule set did you fight under if it was shotokan rules, your opponent would not have been allowed to clinch or knee to your head etc, elbows not allowed and drirect attacks to your legs arms etc would also be cause for disqualification, so basically you would have a nak muay thats had half of his game removed, If you fought under mma ,oriental or k1 rules and all these were allowed(elbows not in k1) Im suprised that a low kick was all he was throwing. But good for you for winning, Im just saying an experience with one mma or muay thai guy should not create a perception that blankets all, same for any other style unless you have experience with many.

RJ Clark and Dave76 like this.
  5. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

If you're up against a good (not even exceptional) Karateka (not even just Karateka but fighter of any format) it's very rare they'll fall into an obvious sounding setup like that. And to be quite honest I've seen guys floored from good solid low roundhouses before. Not sure where you were being kicked or how hard but pretty sure a Muay Thai fighter would kick with the intent of going through both your legs rather than point score.

As for the OP Karate is a catchall term these days for anything and everything Japanese MA. For myself Karate is part of who I am. I think it was always there, just waiting for a little nudge to come to the forefront. I always knew I was going to train in martial arts and after trying a few landed in an Okinawan Tode Jutsu ryu. That's when I knew I'd found what I was looking for and for the rest of my days wouldn't be looking anywhere else.

RJ Clark and DeeD like this.
  6. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Happens all the time, I did it yesterday during sparring, Guy i was with was not checking any kicks because I was just tapping him , so after the first part of the round i said to him(in a helpful genuine assistance way) he really needs to check those kicks because if u throw them decently it could end your fight, he was like ok ....... didnt do it so i threw a decent kick in and then again, that was it , he grabbed his leg and fell down. Many guys that havent experienced that solid shot from a shin on the leg think you can just walk through them because its on the leg until they go with someone who is conditioned and knows how to hit with the blade of the shin, I thought the same thing too , many years ago i sparred with an old training partner of my training partner who fought pro muay thai ,he came to assist me ,this was when i was competing to up my game, he said the same thing to me and i didnt listen, he just timed my leg and put me down with leg kicks, i couldnt walk the rest of the saturday and had to stay in bed on the sunday to rest the leg because it had swollen so much. This taught me a valuable lesson and I am very grateful for that because after that I had a first hand experience of what that felt like and have used it to my advantage for years now

7. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I had a rough sparring match probably 5 months ago now, with a MMA fighter named Rick Reeves (he teaches at our studio, he used to be part of the Reno Lions team in the IFL), and I stuck in there but he hit me with quite a few good leg kicks. Then once I started to slow down because of said leg kicks (I tried to check them, but wasn't that successful) he starting kicking me in the head with Muay Thai round kicks. It is surprising how having the main muscle in your leg damaged changes your whole game plan. I had odd pain in my legs for two weeks, and couldn't walk well for almost a whole week. Check those kicks!

MattCMMA, RJ Clark and DeeD like this.
  8. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

This^^^(y)

When I can find the energy to hang around for Muay Thai class and the endless sparring that that entails, I'll try to visualize going thru the Femur bone, like the muscle isn't even there.
    And no matter how much conditioning you do, a good corker on your leg is and always will be a game changer.

9. Eric Dufurrena

Especially if you are not conditioned to taking them. One or two good ones can make your leg lock up, unlike the 20 or 30 you will see a professional fighter take. It all comes down to conditioning, which is why Muay Thai fighters have been renowned for their fighting skills, they spend so much time conditioning their bodies. If you go back to most of the legendary fighters of traditional or semi-traditional martial arts, you will find that their dedication to conditioning is a consistent factor in their success.

10. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I posted a nice highlight video under Muay thai section for low kicks

Pedro likes this.
  11. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Mas Oyama, founder of Kyokushin was very insistent on conditioning for training. Doing a 300 man Kumite is something that even some of the best Karateka today would find very challenging.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  12. Eric Dufurrena

Way back in 1963 Kyokushin fighters went to Thailand and fought some Muay Thai fighters, Kyokushin won 2-1.
    http://martialarts.about.com/od/sty...ai-Characterists-Great-Matches-And-More_3.htm
    This was huge for Oyama, really giving him a lot of credibility worldwide.

13. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

wow how long would 1 kumite last

14. Eric Dufurrena

Each match is either 2 minutes or to KO. If you knock your opponent out, you get to rest until the next opponent, depending on how much time you had left. You cycle through opponents, so they are always fresh and ready. The challenge is only 100 man, 300 was for Oyama himself, as he did not want his students to have to do something he was not prepared to do himself. He took a rest every 20 matches or so for fluid replacements and a quick break. It will take you over 3 hours of fighting to complete 100 kumite. Oyama did his 300 in the span of 3 days, 100 each day. Rumor was that he wanted to continue to a fourth day, but could not find sufficient uninjured or willing students to participate. A lot of his fights only lasted 30 seconds or so, as he would knock out his opponent in one punch.

Battodoka07 and Dave76 like this.
  15. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

THIS is Karate

and/or

Or what some Martial Artists and those who've "Tried it for a while" think it is

16. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Actually it's not that difficult. Allow me to explain....Triangle, triangle, square, circle, R2, L2 :D

MattCMMA and RJ Clark like this.
  17. starprocombat1

starprocombat1 Initiate

From an East Asian fighting style back in the 17th century to the pop culture phenomenon now, Karate has really evolved, but its principle and the dedication it demands from its fighters have remained the same. Karate today borrows the dan and kyū grading system from Judo. While its black belt is famous for meaning the highest level of accomplishment, there are different belt grading systems throughout the world.