What Is Your Number 1 Self Defense Tip?

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Kevin, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Calm Barbarian

Calm Barbarian Samurai

I agree. Many scenarios can be solved by not being an idiot in the first place or with a confident growl but when sh!t hits the fan you have one chance to react. What you do and how you do it is purely down to your instinct. Train for encounters not competition.

Deborah likes this.
  2. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hiya again Grizz!! Great to hear from you once more, I really appreciate your well informed reply......You are sooo right in saying " keep it simple !" There is not much point with flashy kicks when in danger....All my respects as always XXxxXX

shaolinfinest likes this.
  3. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

In response to your post, I agree with your comment in regards to hesitation. I do believe that hesitation will get you into more trouble than what it's worth.
    However having the state of mind to constantly assess a situation, not allowing a situattion to get beyond your control, that is an art in itself

Deborah likes this.
  4. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

I agree CB, train for encounters, not competition

Deborah likes this.
  5. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

You sure do make me smile Mario!!:DXXxxXX

6. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Thankyou my friend. Smiling makes the world a better place.
    SMILE, IT IRRITATES THOSE WHO WISH TO DESTROY YOU

7. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Aaaaw, sweet as well as wise:D xxXXxx

Mario Paul likes this.
  8. Ajay

Ajay Initiate

As a student of Karate, I was always taught about effective fighting distance. Within this there are three main ranges, those being kicking, punching and striking (ie elbows etc). Personally, I have always found this to be a useful guide, but, if a fight lasts for more than 30 seconds, you are in deep trouble, especially if it goes to the ground so you need to end it asap. With this in mind, I started studying a close range/grappling type martial art and combined this with my (Shotokan) karate. I feel now that I am a more effective martial artist, taking nothing away from Shotokan as it is a power style in it's own right. However, having added techniques from Ju jitsu, which is my other chosen art, I feel my karate skills have beeb effectively complemented. Anyway, with regard to number one self defence tip, I would have thought that not putting yourself in a situation where there was a chance of a confrontation in the first place would be pretty sensible. I mean, if you know of a pub or somewhere which has a reputation as being a bit rough, then don't go there. Bringing it closer to home for a minute, the best form of blocking, in my opinion is not to be there in the first place. This is all well and good, but I am enough of a realist to admit that it is not always possible to get out of a confrontation. In this case, expect and control the inevitable adrenalin dump and then either fight or flee as they say. If you choose to fight, choose the pre-emptive approach. Don't wait for the threats etc, hit and hit hard. You may well take your opponent by complete surprise.If this initial attack is not enough, then keep hitting and don't stop until, as a very good friend of mine puts it - you hear the sirens, whether that be ambulance or police! And to further quote my friend, it is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six! Sage advice in my opinion.

9. deeanne

deeanne Initiate

I also do know that simple is best.. the fancy ,theatrical techniques work very well in the movies. In reality, you do what works. BUT , stay focused and aware that the most powerful weapon in your arsenal exist between your ears!!!!!!!!!

10. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

RUN.

11. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Very well put there Ajay. You are right in saying about the 3 seperate distances within the space (kukan). Control the kukan and you control your opponent

Lynda Buckley likes this.
  12. Joe

Joe Disciple

I say keep it simple and effective. I help teach self-defense at my TKD Dojo, and the stuff out instructor has got me teaching is... To be honest.. Very stupid. It looks fancy, and is very technical. Which in a real street fight is utterly useless, it takes too long and usually requires the person to be in exact positions to be able to transition to the next move comfortably.

So, I say do a technique which drops your aggressor, then run. In my only altercation, I used push kick, Sent them into a wall and dropped them. Then I ran, about as simple and effective as possible.

Dpendleton and Mario Paul like this.
  13. jeannie

jeannie Initiate

14. jeannie

jeannie Initiate

I agree that self defence training will give you options to draw on and then it is up to you to draw on what action suits you !!!
    different people find which move is effective for them and used swiftly against an attacker will have a desired affect !!!
    Being calm in sticky situations may be all that is required but if push comes to shove - best be prepared to deck the attacker before they harm you !!

Mario Paul likes this.
  15. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

If you HAVE to fight - Heel Palms instead of fists, this is what Special Forces are taught. They are harder than punches and no danger of broken knuckles.
    But your best weapons are confidence and a quick wit. A good example is what happened to a friend years ago when he was in the Military. He was out in uniform in Melbourne and his uniform identified him as a member of Aust Special Forces and lo and behold someone tried to pick a fight with him (Who picks fights with Spec Forces? Seriously??) Anyway he gave him one warning to back off. The protagonist replied "oohh What are you going to do?? Kill Me??"
    My Friend said "No mate - Quadraplegia... It'll give you a long time to think about how stupid you were." I know my friend well enough to know that his manner and tone would have left our idiot friend in no doubt that he would do it, couple that with the fact it was a totally unexpected reply - a fight was avoided.

16. Lynda Buckley

Lynda Buckley Initiate

I agree with Mario's training ,don't over think the situation, assess the situation.:cool:

17. arron butler

arron butler Fist of Fury

all good comments, and i totally agree about the pub situation.if someone is hostile and in your face,a nice palm heal strike to the forehead should sort it quickly.

18. Ben

Ben Master

Find something that gets you in the zone. before you go out, have or do somthing. An item, or a routine. Meditate and get your thoughts together before you go out, or wear a particular hat or bag or something. Just have osmething that to you holds some self-defence value. When you do/wear it then you shjould feel ready for anything. Like for me I have a pair of black woolen fingerless gloves that I wear. When i put them on I feel confident, strong and like I can take anything that comes my way with the intention to damage me. Find your own fingerless glove, and use it when you need to.

Calm Barbarian likes this.
  19. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Great tip about the heel palms. :)

I think some people can get away with the reply your friend said if they are confident enough...or look tough enough etc. I do think that to many people, that reply would be a rag to a bull and could escalate the situation. Though if someone says 'What are you going to do?? Kill Me??' there is probably little you can do or say to change what the person had originally planned to do anyway i.e. the guy may have just been puffing air or he would have just used as a way to antagonise and start a fight.

20. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

If a situation gets to the point where you have to do something first control any weapons; defang the snake, disarm if necessary. Second; know your surroundings, are there others that I will have to deal with. Third: control the head control the body; it's a simple concept that seems to be lost on so many people, where the head gets lead the body has to follow. Fourth: take the outside of the attacker never the inside. Fifth and final: if you are still fighting after 30 sec to 1 min, you have taken too long you really need to re-evaluate your techniques.