What Is Your Number 1 Self Defense Tip?

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Kevin, Jun 2, 2012.

1. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

All what Aaron just wrote is what i pratice in krav maga. When faced with a knife we blocked and strike and allways stay at the blind side and scan for another attacker. Scaning is drilled into us in training it is amazing how natural it becomes. Also if you have to defend against a knife your best defense is to runawy if you can.

Dpendleton, Aaron and Deborah like this.
  2. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I totally aggree Jim it is always best to escape to safety if possible! If it came down to it I'd throw my shoe at the attacker to distract him for a moment as I RUN!!:pxxXxx peace and love, my friend!!

3. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

If you have to fight you have 2 choices go in 100% or pull out 100% .

Caladriel, Dpendleton, Kevin and 2 others like this.
  4. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

HELL YEAH!!!

Calm Barbarian likes this.
  5. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

It's not just the blind side, I see it as the safe side, if I trap the attacking limb from the outside, in order for the attacker to hit me or attack me they have to reach across there entire body, or do a half rotation to attack me. By staying connected to the attacker you don't even have to see the attack, you can feel the body shifting and respond to it. Plus the outside has allot of pressure points, kidneys, joint attacks, and don't forget the rib cage, ect..

Calm Barbarian and Deborah like this.
  6. Andrew_

Andrew_ Initiate

I agree that we have to come out with something illogical (in most instances, our instinct automatically react illogically). I have been through this situation and it always help if we fight without any hesitation in our mind.

Deborah likes this.
  7. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Oh, how I looove trapping, it is very practical Aaron...respects;)

8. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Ooooft Andrew, my friend! I couldn`t have said that better myself XxX

9. Calm Barbarian

Calm Barbarian Samurai

Love it. I have just read through this thread and there have been some fantastic and thought provoking answers. If a fella was to attack any of us in exactly the same way I doubt he would have the same response. Love it. Lets cheese it up and place a drunken group of lads at a busy bar. Loud and obnoxious. The ringleader catches a glimpse of you checking for any signs of physical trouble and BANG there it is. The fella screams across the bar and starts shoving his way through the crowd to where you and your spouse/partner are sat. Do you gaze away and wait for a slap in the back of the head? Do you build a plan in your head as to what to do when he gets closer? Do you run leaving your missus with a mouthful of chicken and half a chardonnay? Do you play it cool and try to talk out of it giving his friends time to regroup? Do you meet fire with fire telling your wife "I'll be back!" like Arnie? What would you do? I know it's ridiculous but I'm just interested.

Deborah likes this.
  10. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

Try and talk it out from a distance hands and legs ready but not in a fighting stance. I will be watching for signs of a sucker punch +a knife gun any weapon and if i have to take him down and i really mean down no getting up if a weapon is pulled.
    That is why i pratice Krav Maga to defend myself and my love ones.
    Everyone has the right to walk in peace.

Deborah likes this.
  11. Calm Barbarian

Calm Barbarian Samurai

Like it. I believe many martial artists would disagree with the "really mean down" idea. However I think someone in another thread, possibly Ajay, quoted his friend saying "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six".

Deborah and JIM like this.
  12. Ajay

Ajay Initiate

This is an entertaining thread. Let me give you a couple of my experiences. An instructor friend of Shotkan karate was sitting at a bar minding his own business, I was there with him and we were having a good time and for this particular gentleman, this was a rarity. Ever the realist, he didn't suffer fools gladly! To cut a long story short, a lad approached wanting the bar seat occupied by my friend. A swift headbutt later followed by a stamp to the groin and it was all over. And then he said 'Now that's Karate' and I believed him!! Another well known martial artist friend was with me in a pub with his lady when someone had a problem with them. He proceeded to kick the instigator into another group of lads round a table sending drinks and people flying in all directions. Needless to say, the matter was dealt with sharply and me, my friend and his lady walked away unscathed. I would add that this genteman is quite a hard character and was trained in Japan by the JKA and is currently ranked at 8th Dan so would not be afraid of a confrontation. However, fight 'savvy' saved him the need to exert himself!

Deborah, Calm Barbarian and JIM like this.
  13. Ajay

Ajay Initiate

As a footnote to my previous post, I don't usually frequent pubs etc, choosing to keep clear of the hassle, but on both these occasions I was doing the after session social thing as you do!

Deborah, JIM and Calm Barbarian like this.
  14. Andrew_

Andrew_ Initiate

Yea definitely. It is always better not to start the hassle yourself. Psychologically it makes an impact. You can defend your actions afterwards if you are right.

Deborah likes this.
  15. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaa:D

16. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

17. Dave M.

Dave M. Initiate

If I can add my two cents... I think the most important thing to remember is that anything can be used as an advantage. If we're talking about a street-fight, it's always good to have an unfair advantage over the attacker. If he has four or five friends, it's good to have a pool cue and some cueballs. If he has a handgun, it's good to knock out the lights, so you can get away or fight your way out without being seen. Size up the environment first, then size up your opponents.

Charlay Atkins and Kevin like this.
  18. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

good words, i was a bodyguard for 8 years and still to this day i always pay attention to as much as possible around and try to have scenarios worked out in my head.....even when i pick my kids up from school...may seem a little extreme but it kept me and my clients alive and safe and will do the same for my wife and kids.

Deborah likes this.
  19. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I must say if close enough, use an eye jab. The reason I know that it works is when training one day my training partner threw one out at me, I wasn't paying enough attention and his fingers sunk deep into the back of my open eye. It was my very first experience I had with the eye jab, I will never forget it!! Not only did it disorientate me, I went straight down like a tonne of bricks:eek: respects my friend XXxxXX

20. Dave M.

Dave M. Initiate

1st, @MadoreGojuRyu: Thank you, and exactly my point. There's no telling who, or what, may be waiting around the corner. I was homeless for a while; and, when the meth-heads start thinking it's a good idea to threaten people with cinder-blocks, that's when having a backup plan really comes in handy. Thankfully - at least, in that instance, - nobody got hurt... turned out the guy was all talk. Still, it's better to be safe than sorry. And personally, the way things are going in schools these days, I don't think it's too extreme at all. The kids may get a little annoyed, but they'll realize someday that it was all for their safety.

2nd, @Deborah: First, let me say, ow. Having anything stuck in that region is painful enough, let-alone fingers. I hope no permanent damage was done to your eye! Second, that's good advice. Too few people think about protecting their eyes in a fight; and the eyes are one of the most sensitive regions, as well as one of the organs we rely on most for information. I'd hate to sound corny; but, like the bad guy from Karate Kid said, "If a man can't see, he can't fight" (of course, he still can, but most people will find it extremely difficult:D ).

Deborah likes this.