What Is Your Number 1 Self Defense Tip?

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Kevin, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Thanx I have only been left with a scratch on my iris, so I always see a little line down one eye!!! I agree too Dave, the fact that not enough people protect their eyes seems too true.....respects my friend xxXXxx

Dave M. likes this.
  2. Dave M.

Dave M. Initiate

So it's like a bullseye? ;) (j/k)

Another thing that irritates me is, not enough people worry about their spines... especially where it meets the base of the skull. That's another of the most vulnerable areas. That's why I tell my girlfriend to always be sure nobody's behind her during a fight. One good strike there, and it's lights out forever.

Sherratt and Deborah like this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Ooooft I know that only to well my friend!! I'm recovering from a spinal op at the moment. That's good advice for your girlfriend......make sure she is aware at all times.....love, peace and respects XXxxXX:p

Dave M. likes this.
  4. Dave M.

Dave M. Initiate

Thanks, Deborah. I try to send her manuals to study on, since she can't really afford self-defense classes. I sent her one on self-defense itself, and one that's a declassified sniper's field-manual (purely for the tips on cover and concealment, of course). She grew up near L.A., so she knows how to handle that kind of situation pretty well. If this wasn't a long-distance relationship, I'd be right there with her, teaching her what I know about self-defense.

I hope the surgery went well, and that there are no complications. Anything in particular that you're doing for therapy, post-operation?

Deborah likes this.
  5. Dave M.

Dave M. Initiate

(Finally, I got the post-box to work! :p)

Deborah likes this.
  6. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Happy Wednesday Dave, I feel for you:(. I hope you eventually go to her!! As for therapy, I am still waiting on my physio to get back to me. I really hope it is soon, I'm in pain at the moment. Talking with him he said it might be too early to start physio.......who knows:rolleyes:?? Anyhoo, it was grrrreat to chat with you again Dave, look forward to chatting again soon, my friend! Love, respects and peace are yours XXxxXXxxXX

7. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

My number one tip is whatever is the target on your body needs to move out of the way. Seems like a simple concept but I busted my knuckles open on the teeth of a 4th degree master a few months ago because his block failed and his face was still where it was when I threw my punch.

Blade Maker and Deborah like this.
  8. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Aaaaaoooowwch!! I hope you had a tetnus jag:eek:....respects n peace XXXxxxxXXX

9. WonderingFist

WonderingFist Disciple of Mind

I'd say...depends on what kind of tip you're looking for.
    Technique? Principle? Idea?

At the moment the way I teach the boys (they're ALL boys! haha), I teach them in accordance to their instincts and mentality.

There's this really big bloke who comes who naturally is very aggressive in his reaction - and he has an experience "in the field". So the #1 tip I give him is calm down. If there's multiple people, he'll hit them all, but channel his 'insta-hatred' into one person, and then he gets beaten. So I tell him to calm down, taking principles of movement to mountain, breaking the river etc, and it works.
    This other guy that comes is a super-pacifist. He has difficulty even making contact with people in sparring. So I tell him to accept death. It sounds extreme, but if he feels a confrontation brewing, he tells himself that he's going to die. In class, I blindfolded him, only to take it off the moment the sparring session begins. So he doesn't see his opponent till last moment and he reacts. So long as the blindfold is on, he tells himself that he's going to die.
    BAM! It worked!

I have technical tips I give guys, but if they don't understand the principle of what they're learning or they don't understand the application of what they're learning, they don't learn....So at least at a basic level they see their applications. Means if people attack them, they can react accordingly. Though there are little things like "strike at this point", work clockwise [(or step clockwise) if you're right handed] if there is multiple attackers...but if I went into all of them I'd be here all night! haha

10. Bruce

Bruce Samurai

I asked Guro Inosanto this question at a seminar, his response, have a good arobics program (ie run)

Deborah likes this.
  11. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Practice reality-based training. This a bit general, but it will serve you well for self defense.

Storybook real-life situations that students could potentially find themselves in.
    Drill techniques in street clothes (combat has a different feel in shoes, jeans and tee-shirt). Multiple opponents, variety of weapons vs empty hand, improvised weapons that students can use to defend themselves, safe debris (training pads, heavy bags) to simulate furniture in a room, etc. Not only does this allow the students to have the "been there, done that" when ambushed on the street, it also keeps the training fresh and interesting.

Another is to talk about AVs (areas of vulnerability) in their lives. ex: pulling into their garage but not watching to ensure no one slips in while it closes, a tendency to be on their cell phone even when walking in an unfamiliar area, etc. It's really a way to help them gain some situational awareness and look at the world with a warrior's eyes.

Deborah likes this.
  12. perennius

perennius Disciple

my sensai sadi the same

Deborah likes this.
  13. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I looove his way of thinking!! Respects and peace my new Martial friend xxXXXxx

14. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

OMG Bruce...much respects, I looooove training with Master Guro Dan!!!!.....peace my new marial friend xxXXXxx

15. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Don't tell anyone where the bodies are hidden.

I'm serious - that gets you into all KINDS of trouble. You'd be amazed at how sensitive some people are when you leave a body on their front lawn - "Oh, oh, oh - no! I just fertilized!", or they're complaining you'll spoil their Rottweiler or something equally lame.

I miss the good old days when you could just defend yourself and leave it up to the Sanitation Department to take care of everything else. :(

Sherratt, Caladriel and Deborah like this.
  16. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa loooooove it Sifu Phil respects and peace my new stalking victim!! Mwahahahaaaaaaaaaaar XXXXxxXXXX

17. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I'm coming to this discussion late, and I freely admit to not reading all of the posts ahead of mine.

My recommendation is to throw straight punches right down the middle. Most people in a fight start throwing hay-makers (basically sloppy hooks). Jabs and straight rights (or straight lefts if you are a Southpaw) will probably connect against something like 90% of the people you are likely to fight in a street fight. You are also less likely to get a "boxer's break" from straight punches and the great thing is that even if they throw first, you will likely connect first and cause their punch to either miss or take enough steam out of it to do little damage to you.

Another great technique (assuming you are a striker) is the teep from Muay Thai. I am not a kicker at all. But the teep is a front kick with your lead leg to the body, generally, that is used to generate separation and create space. Given that you lean back when you perform it and that it is really like a strong push, not a strike per se, you are in little danger of getting caught when throwing it.

The next technique sorta depends on your ability to slip a punch. If you suck at it, don't use it. But if you can slip a punch, then you can do that to the outside of the punch coming in, and close distance and secure a standing side-choke fairly easily on a lot of people.

Another very simple move is an arm-drag which can easily set up a standing RNC (particularly if you kick the back of the knee). It is a move that takes a lot of people off guard when they reach for you. Similarly, I absolutely LOVE the Russian 2-on-1. A friend and former training partner of mine was a master of the Russian 2-on-1 (he was a former collegiate wrestler and the same guy I mentioned who got KO'd by Bas Rutten in training in another thread). Once you have secured a Russian 2-on-1 you have so much control over your opponent that there are literally dozens of continuations based on your opponents' reaction.

Heck, even a basic double leg take down is a highly effective self defense technique, particularly if you know how to finish with a slam (and you can decide to follow the person down for some added umph or stay standing).

I guess the upshot is that I like the basics in a self defense situation. Straight punches, straight kicks, basic chokes, basic takedowns and slams. Nothing fancy, just effective.

Deborah likes this.
  18. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

For those unfamiliar with the Russian 2-on-1, here is a 2-part video series on the move:

Deborah likes this.
  19. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Wowzers Endiku, we have more in common than I thought...These are amoung the most favourite moves I favour when wresling/grappling!! NEW respects my big strong-man verbal sparring partner XXXXXxxXXXXX

Enkidu likes this.
  20. perennius

perennius Disciple

run. is the best tip i can think of. other wise just make sure you live and the " bad" guy(s) does not.