What Is Your Number 1 Self Defense Tip?

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Kevin, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Yeah most 1st world countries don't allow private citizens to carry guns.... Pity....

Sherratt likes this.
  2. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I've been called that without having to fight!

Dpendleton and SifuPhil like this.
  3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

#1 Tip? Be aware and leave the situation before it starts.

And before anyone says "Sometimes you don't have a choice" .. YES you do. Pay attention to those around you, watch how they're acting, if you dont want to be around that type, DON'T BE.. find another place to be, or find your way closest to the exit. I like to think of it like this...

If there is someone shooting a gun around you and you do nothing to get away/run away...don't be surprised that you may be shot.

Dpendleton likes this.
  4. shotogaz

shotogaz Disciple

say nothing, do nothing, if you feel scared, then combination punches to his nose, when he's down, stop, try not to kill him, its frowned upon in a court of law!

5. To avoid conflict(fight)is a victory in of itself.However,if ones back is against the wall Kill if that's the exclation.(plz pardon my thought process,military)

6. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Yeah, but how does the Ebola virus factor in?

MattCMMA likes this.
  7. I'm a proponent of non-confritationals but,given no or exhausted all means to do so,one reluctantly must resort to means to vanquish any and all threats as soon as poss.....

8. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

I would then suggest further research in Social Engineering . http://www.social-engineer.org/ . As a MA you must arm yourself with social techniques just as much as our physical techniques.

This book many years ago awoke me to it. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Deception...52171459&sr=1-1&keywords=the+art+of+deception
    Mind you ,I was at college studying computer science and security was a big interest/homework at the time.

But also here's a list of many other very good books.
    http://www.social-engineer.org/framework/Social_Engineering_Books

These techniques have saved my ass more then any physical or MA technique I have learned. I feel that as a complete martial artist in the modern day, learning social engineering techniques are just as valuable if not more valuable, then the physical MA itself.
    I hope this info helps anyone else out there just as much as it has helped me. Enjoy.

9. Interesting...I will have to look into this...Thx=^_^=

10. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

11. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

I just finished listening to and watching a series of CDs and one DVD by Joe Navarro, ex-FBI agent on "reading" people.....

Interesting subject. You just gave me a new reading list. If I could only do a chip implant on my brain...microchip (get it!). I may be hacked then....Hmmmm.

12. I pocess a carry/coceal permit but I rarely use it,only if the conditiond warrent as such...

13. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

I know this is a fairly old post but Id like to expand on it with a very important tactical point that seems to have largley been over looked on this thread; never loose sight of were you are on the battlefield and try and make sure they aren't pushing you into a dissadvantagess position wile trying to menuver them into one

Bat Shit Crazy likes this.
  14. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Unarmed defense against active shooter scenarios....

15. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Learn parkour. You can run away from danger really well or run away from a bloody mess before the cops show up :)

Sherratt likes this.
  16. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

i think in general u know when things are going the wrong direction rather leave if possible and if u cant then strike hard and strike fast, end it as soon as possible

17. David Manson

David Manson Disciple

Backed in a courner and shits getting serious? A good shot to the throat will take the wind out of anyones sail.

18. I am MikeZ

I am MikeZ Initiate

number 1 for me is to keep away or avoid fighting at all cost but if the situation really needed some action i will not hesitate to strike first. always keep your cool.

19. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Good luck with that.

dmach likes this.
  20. Gone

Gone Guest

Shots to the throat don't work? :S