What Is Your Number 1 Self Defense Tip?

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Kevin, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

There is no plan. Just react.

I personally do not believe in the planned strategy of personal battle, self defence or otherwise.

Say in war, the strategy might involve things such as, move this here, move this there, you attack this base, you attack that base, etc.

But I doubt that anybody, including soldiers, in the being ambushed (self defence like situation) would think, or plan .... okay I'm gonna do this, hmmm never lift my foot, hmmm try jab the head, etc.

You just let your "fighter" instinct take control and see how it goes.

If I have anything that resemble any plan, it is to learn:

How to punch - solved by going to boxing class regularly
    How to influence the flow of combat involving multiple opponents - go to Karate class regularly
    How to take people down and prevent from being taken down - take some Judo class
    How to deal with weapon - learn how to use weapon from Eskrima, Kenjutsu, etc
    How to deal with the ground work should I fail to stay standing - learn BJJ

These skill sets should set some muscle memories into my body.

Therefore, should situation arise that I am being put under anyone of these situations, I will simply react accordingly.

RJ Clark and Locutus like this.
  2. Strike hard,Strike fast...

3. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

This is one of the best, most concise, and on-target answers I've ever seen you give. (y) Great job, mister!!

SifuPhil, DeeD and Vldz like this.
  4. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

yea agree here, Good advise

5. Martin Taylor

Martin Taylor Initiate

Nothing to do, when you feel scare then attack the opponent, hammer him with punches and kicks even then he felt down. Then you will forgive him and not to try to kill him :)

6. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Awareness is the key! Being aware of your surroundings, knowing who's around you, stay in well lit areas...etc. As for which technique...I teach that the finger/eye jab is the fastest and best way to strike so they can't see you or what your going to do next like, get away from there or kick or punch them. Master Fahy

7. carl bradley

carl bradley Initiate

If you really have to with no other options to defuse the situation then go for the eyes first then get up close and personal so they cannot kick or swing a punch and use elbows to side of head and chin whilst bringing the knees into play into the muscle mass of the thighes or into the lower rib cage whilst pulling your opponants head downwards.
    If that dont work run like hell!!

8. Schubertdog

Schubertdog Shodan

If you have no other options and its going to turn ugly, get in there first. I have a liking for taisho strike to the nose, pushing inwards and upwards, hard and fast.

treve nathan stoddern likes this.
  9. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Why didn't anybody mention spit to the face?

10. no:1 tip?....don't panic!...control your fear...stay loose(not tense)....

11. no:1 tip?...don't panic!....control your fear....stay loose ( not tense).....also to the other correspondant who said that the groin is too small a target...this is true except in the case of sifu phil....in which case it is a vast target but being so, he is well versed in countering assaults to that area!

12. arron butler

arron butler Fist of Fury

The best thing 1st. get out of the way of an attack. Then take the legs out so he cannot stand to fight.

13. Gone

Gone Guest

I've got two new ones.

1) carry a firearm

2) if you cannot carry a firearm, join a political group that is lobbying for citizens to carry firearms for self defence.

14. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

3. Have enough money to afford a good attorney to defend yourself in court, as any shooting will always land you there. If you don't have enough...you're screwed.

DeeD likes this.
  15. Gone

Gone Guest

Well, ya gotta be alive to be prosecuted. We face the same risk of ending up in court, being martial artists, without firearms.

16. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

If you're going to pull a trigger there's no point in learning martial arts in the first place. I'd rather end up in court for stopping an attack without the use of lethal force, rather than ending up in court for using lethal force...period. Giving the advice of carrying a gun for the #1 self defense tip is contradictive. It's called self defense. Not self offense. Unless you're attacked with the use of deadly force, using a gun will land you in serious trouble.

RJ Clark likes this.
  17. Gone

Gone Guest

Well, that can happen. You can be attacked with deadly force. It would be best to have both weaponless skills and firearm skills so that you can escalate with the situation, or deescalate with it (as the situations call for it). I don't want anyone breaking the law so don't get that little detail wrong, but it's much easier to defend your life with a firearm than it is to go Chuck Lidel on the person(s). Either way, if you legally CAN carry a firearm, then it will be at your discretion if you do or don't which would be the beauty of it. And, chances are if you have the freedom to carry a firearm, then you can probably also carry a whole host of other items with you for self defence - sprays, blades, batons, etc. Lots of options.

18. Ivor Godley

Ivor Godley grasshopper

awareness, this allows for the following steps:
    1. avoidance, stay away, cross the street before you meet that gang of drunken lads.
    2. de-escalation, talk reasonably - try and calm the situation.
    3. evasion, if theres an opportunity to leave take it!
    4. finally, when all else fails - KISS - Keep It Simple Simple, dont try the flashy stuff - hit him hard, often and low, then RUN!

19. Sabomnim Dan

Sabomnim Dan Disciple

Something I was told early in my career that has stayed with me over the years:
    "Every job you go to will be a firearms incident; because we bring the guns."
    Basically it's a reminder to be conscious of the danger we face in the line of duty at all times because if an unarmed offender seizes control of our firearm we are then facing an armed offender. It was meant to make us mindful of firearm retention at all times (since they are not drawn often because there are fewer guns in the community in Oz) but I think it's applicable to the above comment. Carrying a firearm allows me to respond in kind when faced with lethal force if necessary, but when faced with a lesser threat I can exercise discretion and leave it holstered. That's often the way things work out. In 9 years I've only drawn 4 times (two times for destruction of injured animals).
    The flip-side is, and it's a prospect I face daily since so much of my work concerns responding to domestic violence or the mentally ill, by carrying a firearm I am potentially arming an erratic and possibly aggressive person. In the case of the mentally ill, they are usually suicidal (or we wouldn't be responding) and often have a fantasy about 'suicide-by-cop' which means they have a heightened propensity for violence against us with a view to either obtaining our firearms or forcing us to deploy them to prevent them doing so.
    99 times out of 100 I'd prefer not to carry a gun as it is an (usually unnecessary) additional encumbrance. This is from the perspective of a person who is well versed in firearms and martial arts. Admittedly that's easy to say when not carrying would put me in the majority rather than the minority, but what's the alternative? If everyone carries a gun, the best self-defense becomes 'carry a bigger gun'?

RJ Clark likes this.
  20. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Wow that would be unheard of here.

RJ Clark likes this.