What's Your View on Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT)

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by Kevin, Mar 11, 2013.

1. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

haha love how you just throw that in there (y)

Enkidu and MattCMMA like this.
  2. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

"Everything in it's proper place! Into the Taijiquan with you!" to channel a bit of Hans...
    That's the point. It is a game of catch-up, but the masking and manipulation don't cover them 100%, or if it does it's only temporarily until they catch-up again. So if they're caught we should assume (and can assume, it's not a court of law but a commission and/or league rule) that there has been gross misconduct that slipped under the radar. So hang 'em high and flip 'em off while they're swinging:finger:

SifuPhil likes this.
  3. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Ah, okay - that makes sense. (y)

4. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I, for one, kinda wish there was 2 fighting tiers, natural and juiced to hell. I want to see raging roid monsters (like Brock and the 'Reem) going in the ring and just pounding huge craters into each other! Would that be entertaining? You bet your sweet ass. Imagine 2 superhuman guys flying around the reinforced cage! The only reason everyone says no PED's is that they give you health issues and shorten your lifespan, but if it was a level playing field and they weren't so dangerous, would you be interested in a hulkfight? Worse part is that it comes down to money, whoever has more of it will have more PED, therefore an advantage, so in order to totally keep it fair, you don't get to see Thor crushing anyone. Never mind, lets just keep it natural. Dang.

SifuPhil likes this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Thanks Matt. That actually raises more questions than answers for me.

All olders fighters will have lower testosterone than younger fighters (generally speaking). So should all fighters be taking TRT. If so, at what age should it be ok for a fighter to take TRT? i.e. at what age do you we say...it's ok, he needs it, he's older.

Also, I still think that whether a person has used drugs in the past plays a big part in whether they need TRT now. To my knowledge, Anderson Silva is not known for taking drugs (at least hasn't been caught) and has not used TRT. Chael Sonnen is two years young and has used TRT.

After their first fight, when Chael fought like a man possessed, it was found that Chael had a T/E level of 16.9:1 - i.e. 17 times more than it should have been. He was fined and suspended for one year because of it. Did Chael use TRT because he had a genuine need for it...does he need TRT because he used drugs when he was younger...or, did he use it to gain an unfair advantage in his fight?

That's exactly what has happened in the cycling world. There was a few clean cyclists who refused to do drugs....they had trained all their lives to become champions...and their dreams were squashed by cyclists who juiced up and cheated every day. That's not fair and it's the situation I want happening in MMA. Do we really want MMA to get to the point where those who don't use drugs, can't compete with those that do?

For many fighters, it has nothing to do with winning and losing, it's all about the benjamins. Outside the top ten fighters of each weight class, the fighters aren't making that much money (I actually wrote about this on my blog yesterday). Guys in the UFC who fight in the pre-lims get between $5k and $12k on average. It's not a lot when you consider they fight twice a year and have coaches and gym fees etc to pay.

So if cheating helps them win matches and get on the main card, many will do it. I don't think they worry about hollow victories.

SifuPhil likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

That would be great. We could paint the fighters green too! :)

It would be funny to see the old fighters who had abused PED's every day for 30 years, trying to throw punches with their hollow biceps.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  7. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I think a lot of the current fighters who were wrestlers used PED's in their wrestling career. It is very competitive and, like football, everyone knows about PED. I would say that wrestling is more competitive then football, just because of the one on one aspect of each match AND the team aspect. A lot of pressure at a time when you just want people to like you.

Kevin likes this.
  8. SifuPhil

And that makes it even worse.

Putting aside all the rigmarole about honor and respect and discipline and goal-setting in the martial arts - you know, all that junk we ignore anyway - fighting for money is perhaps even WORSE than fighting for a trophy. It shows a basic shallowness, a meanness of character, a hollow soul.

And the fact that unless they win a truckload of it it won't help their medical bills.

That was a great post as always on your blog, by the way. (y)

Kevin likes this.
  9. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

10. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Well, I do think that fighting is a great way of testing your own abilities. There are martial arts out there who don't spar much, which is silly when you think about it. You're learning how to defend yourself - the best way to do that is to test your skills actively.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog :)

Thanks. I only relaunched it a few months ago. :)

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  11. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

It's amazing how it becomes less of merit when someone does something for money. I mean i'm sure you opened and ran all those MA schools out of your own pocket. As well the $10/$30 an hour for armchair psychology.. you gave those students their money back. Otherwise it would show a
    Right?

In the UFC all fighters have full medical insurance. Medical bills aren't an issue for fighter's in the UFC. As for other promotions I don't think this is the case.

RJ Clark and Enkidu like this.
  12. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Love the blog Kevin awesome read.(y)

Kevin likes this.
  13. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

After reading that I would think everyone who fights in combat sports is a heartless killing machine like Jason Voorhees. o_O MattCMMA dropped the hammer on this before I could address it. Albeit I was going to be a bit more diplomatic about it, along the line of "So fighting for money = bad, training people to fight/defend themselves = good..." Or for that matter is every athlete who gets paid to compete in the same category as fighters?

SifuPhil, Enkidu and Charlay Atkins like this.
  14. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Hold on...

...let me throw some popcorn in the microwave.

Kevin, Dave76, MattCMMA and 1 other person like this.
  15. SifuPhil

My students tuitions barely covered the cost of running the schools. And yes, many times I had to dig into my own pockets to pay the difference. I wasn't paid obscene amounts of money for beating another person to a pulp - that's the job of a hitman. I charged less-than-industry-standard rates for superior teaching in a Way of living.

Big difference.

I wasn't aware of that - thanks. Does the coverage continue if they become so injured that the UFC drops them from their active list, or after they retire and the real effects of the 'roids start to show up?

RJ Clark and Charlay Atkins like this.
  16. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Make plenty bud I am right with ya :D
    The beers are on ice too ;)

Enkidu likes this.
  17. SifuPhil

As in any other field you're going to have the purists and the scammers. In this case you have the guys who fight to prove that they're the best, and the guys who fight solely for the money.

My comments were meant to address the latter group. Kevin's blog post was addressing the somewhat inequitable level of compensation in MMA and I fully agree, but that compensation model applies I think to ALL sports, not just combat ones. The sad part, the part that I take exception to, is that most professional sports aren't based on beating another person senseless.

And yes - fighting for money IS bad, and training people to defend themselves IS good. Are we living in the time of the gladiators again? Obviously so, since MMA has rocketed into such profitable (for the promoters) heights. But as with the gladiators, the promoters and owners really DON'T give a fig for the health or longevity of their fighters outside of how it affects their bottom line.

18. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Nom, nom, munch, munch, Slurp.:D

Locutus and SifuPhil like this.
  19. SifuPhil

Hey, Security! Check this guy - I think he's underage!

RJ Clark and Charlay Atkins like this.
  20. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I hope that is a drink he is slurping on. That thing looks a little too big to be a straw...

Judah, Locutus, DeeD and 2 others like this.