Why I'm not impressed with coloured grades.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by Judah, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Well golden gloves aren't a technical grade one tests for. They're competitions amateur boxers compete in. So of course a golden gloves level boxer is bound to be quite good. Same goes for RJ's point about judoka being technically good prior to achieving their black belts.

RJ Clark and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  2. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Sounds to me you are having issues with politics, not grading! In some schools there is a lot of hoopla and stuff surrounding belt test and gradings and such. I think the best schools are able to bring the students together with belt testing, create camaraderie and a sense of fairness. In any school you are going to have better fighters and worse ones, some people are just more aggressive and open to sparring or fighting then others. As you can tell, I usually don't have a problem with the gradings and such of schools, I am a bit PC in that I think everyone should get a chance to participate and have goals, and in martial arts that would be a black belt. I think we can all agree that martial arts have changed many ways in the past 30+ years, in some ways for the worse, but I think a lot of people who are not interested in fighting would say that they have changed for the better (yes, even McDojo's).

Ultimately, I agree with you, because your feelings are your own and your experience is also your own. Is there anything you can do to not have to worry about rank, or is this a standard rule that they won't bend on? Honestly, if you are on the team that requires a red glove rank, and you are performing well, doesn't that mean that you ARE that rank, essentially? Stupid politics.

3. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Well it's not something they're not gonna bend on. They already put me on the team it's mainly because I can't attend all of the team training this year because of where I live. If I win the British championships this year they won't really keep me off the team no matter what grade I am. I pretty much feel what you describe. I'm already physically qualified by what I have done and can still do, the coloured grade is just fluff. I remember a student of mine went to a karate school and his instructor gave him a 1st dan in under a year be aide he felt his standard was high enough. This instructor awarded grades like that, no grading,he'd just give you the grade when he felt you'd reached the standard. That's where I got the idea from. Knowing my student had done another martial art and seeing how well he picked things up he judged him to be black belt standard. I had him on green belt. Does this mean I had been holding him back or did the other guy give him his belt too soon? I really don't think it matters. If someone is at the standard they ought to be recognised as such for competition (think if i started competing at novice level after 13 years competing) and not have silly time limits which may apply to absolute beginners granted but I've been doing martial arts 6 years longer than my "instructor" admittedly he's never referred to me as his student as he is/was well aware of my previous training, this is why he went to bat for me and got me on the team. Not saying that time served gives me rights but all that's changed by me switching to Savate is a different rule set. Wear shoes and don't do front snap kicks or axe kicks. Simple. Besides I'm the British champion in my weight division. Does my grade really matter??

RJ Clark and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  4. Eric Dufurrena

Agreed.

5. Eric Dufurrena

Ok, here is the amended statement, which I think everyone might agree on. In the world of competition, rank is meaningless. Outside of competition, rank is a useful tool. Moral of the story? If you are going to be a tool, be useful!!;)

Locutus and Judah like this.
  6. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Everybody keeps calling me a tool and they say I am useless too. :D

SifuPhil and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  7. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

The term Art I believe refers to the application of The Martial techniques learnt and practiced.

As I tell my students in a real fight you can't afford to think you must react as quickly and as effectively as possible. That is why we practice until the techniques become as natural as walking and breathing. Nothin forced or strained natural movement that results in victory

SifuPhil likes this.
  8. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

I would agree but I also understand where some students come from. Most of my teachers were both very knowledgeable and great fighters. I would have probably had issues with them if they could not back it up. On the other hand, I have worked very hard to get to where I am. I am not a natural martial artists but I am a hard working martial artist with a lot of philosophies to share with my students. I have told some of my students who have a more natural ability than I do, that I expect that they will eventually surpass me in the combat aspect of the art. What I achieved in 20 years, they might be able to achieve in 15. I also view rank like my teachers did - which is quite different than how the majority of the world sees martial arts rank. I do not view it as something that is earned. I award rank as an acknowledgment of their ability and grasp of the concepts and principals of my style. This is why I do not test for rank.

9. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

They still have to earn it through diligent training and study. Just because you don't test doesn't mean they didn't "earn" your acknowledgement since you're basing it on learning & comprehension and not giving rank away based on time in or money spent. Is that nuanced so that your students don't perceive that they have to earn a promotion? Or to say they don't feel pressure to perform, they simply stay steady and when the time comes you will be promoted...

10. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

It is for a couple reasons. First, to keep pride down. Second, so that I can advance students individually based on their needs not a cookie cutter curriculum, and third, so that they will give 100% all the time since they could be getting graded at any time.

Aaron and RJ Clark like this.
  11. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Good stuff(y) Just to make sure, I certainly wasn't being sarcastic or critical. I like the earning without earning, so to speak. I myself would like to have a Temple of Combat where rank is never an issue. Skill and ability is simply given the respect it deserves and everyone learns from one another. Then we all go out and scatter all other martial arts schools, see them driven before us, reduce their training halls to ashes...Whoa! Must have been channeling Genghis Khan there for a minute

Dave76 likes this.
  12. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

Yeah I am actually starting a straight up combat class pretty soon. It is a bunch of guys from the gun shop down the street. We are not doing rank or anything of that nature. Just Filipino Stick and Knife. I am excited to get into it. Gives me a chance to design a new logo too ... I will take any opportunity to create new stuff.

RJ Clark likes this.
  13. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

jzdjchvb.jpg

Had a chance to train with Johan Schalberg a couple of weeks back. Two day seminar. Was awesome fun.

Aaron Hutto likes this.