Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Sounds like it has a small chance of getting back in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

3. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Yeah, because so many more people worldwide compete or are affiliated with the modern pentathlon than some form of wrestling. I don't know enough about the politics or policies for the Olympics but the 26 sport limit seems quite asinine particularly now that wrestling gets dropped. Schormann then hypocritically defended the IOC decision <to keep pentathlon and drop wrestling> by saying: "The Olympic movement always needs history. You cannot just say we look only at the future. You can have a future when you are stable on the basic part of history." It's reasonable to say that wrestling is the one of or the oldest form of martial arts and it had been part of the Olympics from the inaugural modern Olympics in Athens in 1896 according to the above article. So much for preserving Olympic history...

Semper Gumby likes this.
  4. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Pretty sure wrestling was in the original Olympics too however long ago that was. Shame to drop it. Taekwondo could be dropped without upsetting anywhere near as many people. No offence to wtf TKD practitioners but Olympic TKD does kinda suck as a spectator sport.

Charlay Atkins and RJ Clark like this.
  5. Gone

Gone Guest

Wrestling was the whole reason the Olympics began. That would be like taking the English language out of England!

You wish to see the Olympics without its soul?! Without wrestling?!

If anything, crap like water polo or whatever can GTFO.

RJ Clark likes this.
  6. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Lets face it folks, it comes down to one thing... MONEY! Look how much cash is tied up in sponsorship deals with the other sports when compared to wrestling, TKD, even Karate or Wushu. Or maybe I'm being cynical??!! :cautious:

Semper Gumby, RJ Clark and MattCMMA like this.
  7. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

You're exactly correct.

RJ Clark likes this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Water Polo is actually a violent game.

I'd be swaying more towards that synchronised swimming shit! :):)

Caneman and Judah like this.
  9. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Yeah thats true... Water Polo can be Bloody Brutal!

10. Angelos Koskinas

Angelos Koskinas Initiate

Money is the main issue they arent discolosing. supposedly the doping, ticket sales, and the ratings are the issue but they are all half ass excuses.

Lance armstrong has been a big issue for doping but they didnt get rid of cycling. How on earth is power walking and how does it get better ratings.

The ratings is another terrible excuse because time zones will kill a market on ratings. When olympics were in Japan the USA (huge market) was going to stay up all night on a weekday to watch certain events. And in several cases watching Usain Bolt and Michael phelps took up a lot more air time than anything else.

But money is still the big factor. not many companies put much funding and advertising into the wrestling portion of the olympics. how do you even blame them i mean what can they advertise... no one is going to buy the wrestling spandex to where around there house. Golf is being added in as a substitute. with all the global tournaments year round for the PGA tours there is really no need to have an olympic event for it. However, that being siad all the golf companies have a much bigger cash flow to advertise and pay for sponsorship.

its a shame that one of the original sports is gettign taken off. I feel worse for the kids and programs across numerous countries that have lost the main goal of their sport. i supposed MMA will still be a big draw for wrestlers since you can make some money now in Mixed Martial arts but the caliber will go down because no one will focus on wrestling only. they will eventually ditch the sport and there potential to learn other forms of martial arts to use in the cage.

11. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

I have been pondering the problem and there MAY BE something that can be done. We have basically agreed that Sponsorship and money (or lack thereof) is one of the things that is threatening wrestling as an Olympic Sport...

Our Hope lies in the US

First of all, Wrestling is still a popular sport (I believe - American brethern, please correct me if I'm wrong) being taught in Senior High School and College. America also has arguably the worlds most powerful media machine - it may mean selling our souls to the devil, we have often said that a Martial Art could be ruined if it had the same media backing as many mainstream sports - But, it is what is needed IF we want to save the sport as an Olympic event.

Wrestling may even have a High Profile spokes person - Robin Williams used to wrestle competitively in High School and Junior College... Among Many others!!!

http://kenchertow.com/?page=famous

12. rockstarpc

rockstarpc Initiate

Wrestling was my first martial art. Started in the 7th grade and rolled through college. My son is going out for the school team nest year, and we have little league wrestling here as well. I can't believe they are taking it out of the olympics. The US really needs to speak out considering the number of athletes that pay for college with scholarships for wrestling. Honestly, without the base of martial arts there, I don't see the reason for any of the others. Maybe it should just be reduced ribbon twirlers and such. :(

13. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

I don't think college wrestling programs are going anywhere.

14. rockstarpc

rockstarpc Initiate

That remains to be seen. If the sport has no place to go beyond the confines of the school, then the school gains little bragging rights from the teams. That also means less money from boosters. In the US that usually means programs get dropped in favor of other things that bring money and prestige.

15. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

HS and college wrestling isn't going anywhere. Colleges don't give free schooling with the interest of them being in the Olympics. They bring them in to compete for their schools. NCAA champs brings plenty of bragging rights and money from boosters.

16. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

So, a sport like the biathlon can remain in the international community, who loathes guns and desires a police state world wide... and only the elite can own and practice (usually state supported).
    And a sport like wrestling, that is available to the masses, where anyone could rise to dominance...
    Well, that we frown upon.
    Tired of the hypocrisy of organizing committees, politics and governments and governmental bodies.

...ah, I feel better now :). And, just for the record, I think biathlon is the coolest sport on the planet... that and water polo (because if you have never played, you have no clue how brutal it is physically).
    ...and I know the other reference was to pentathlon... but you get my point.

Red Australian likes this.
  17. Gone

Gone Guest

What events would BBF like to keep in the Olympic Games, and what are some they would exclude?

18. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Good question!!! Go back to the originals, Athletic events, boxing wrestling etc. Keep Gymnastics, Weightlifting, Get back to you on the swimming, (because I CANNOT STAND Stephanie Rice) Diving is pretty cool.

What to ditch? Hockey, Tennis, Soccer, All those sort of sports.

19. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Don't know if it was the same world wide, but our coverage of water polo was very quickly returned to above water shots only while live, underwater only on replay, after numerous complaints about the womens water polo in particular. One to many HD shots of womens getting wedgees so brutally that almost 'everything';);), could be seen.
    Myself, I thought it was f'ing hillarious........bloody prudes in this country:rolleyes:

Kevin likes this.
  20. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Get rid of lawn bowles, it's a f'ing joke!
    Walking......doesn't matter how you swing that cat, your still just watching people walking!
    Badmington,
    Tennis, no one remembers who won Olympic tennis, tennis is all about the grand slams, just as golf will be.
    Sailing, cool fun and all, but I could live without it at the Olympics.

Personally, I reckon any of the ancient events should'nt be included in the 26 events count. Give them some sort of heritage listing and protect them as an important piece of continuing history.