wrist strenghening

Discussion in 'Strength Training' started by chris halkett, Oct 16, 2012.

1. chris halkett

chris halkett Warrior Monk

Hay guys lookin for exercises to strenghen my wrists and thicken them already do alot of stuff with dumbells and such tryin to think outside the box

3. Joeyski138

Joeyski138 Initiate

Push-ups on the wrists. It's hard, but you can cup your hands and put your feet on a platform to only support only half the body weight. I've also heard add weights to a broom handle/steel bar and roll that in your hands. I do half-body weight wrist push-ups after finger tips once in a while. Only do a few at a time not to get hurt.

4. Gone

Gone Guest

chris halkett likes this.
  5. Gone

Gone Guest

You can do that with a reverse grip, and also with ez-curl bars, kettlebells, and dumbbells.

6. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

One of the traditional Chin-Na exercises is to make a bundle of sticks or reeds, tie them together and use twisting strength on the bundle, like wringing out a towel.

chris halkett and Dave76 like this.
  7. Judah

Judah fights in tights

A very good way to strengthen the wrists is to tie a weight to some cord, and the other end to an empty dumb bell handle, using both hands roll the handle so that the cord wraps around it and lifts the weight, all the way up rotating one way then back down and up the other way, that's one rep. It takes a while but you're using your wrists in their most natural way and you'll develop thick strong wrists with forearms like Popeye. Poop poop!

8. chris halkett

Ye an older guy at my clubs had me doin these they burn like hell they also get me to hold my arms out straight to the side and put 2 chaires on them and just hold for as long as i can not very long tho haha thanks guys great tips

9. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Not sure what they're called but my old GoJu-Ryu teacher used to have these round concrete weights with a piece of thick dowel sticking out for a handle. He would stand in a forward stance and hold them in front and start to beat them up and down like giant drum sticks and then from side to side aswell. The idea being that as you get stronger you move your hands a little further away from the weighted end, until you can hold them at the very end and still perform the same exercises.

I made a rolling pin style pull up bar. A 40mm piece of gal steel pipe over a 30mm piece which is inserted into timber posts. As you try to do your pull ups, the 40mm piece just keeps on rolling around the smaller pipe, making it very hard on your wrists to stabilize you. Also you can reverse your grip to chin ups but just hold yourself there and use just your wrists to pull yourself up by rolling your wrists up, that gets hard real quick!

Oh! And kettlebells....gotta love the kettlebells.

10. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Farmer's walks.
    Deadlifts with a double overhand grip.
    Plate pinches.
    Basically any exercise where you are required to hold onto a really heavy weight.
    Lifting with a thick bar.
    If you want to get really serious about your grip strength, invest in buying a "captains of crush" gripper.

11. Dave76

Is there any other way!:p

Judah likes this.
  12. Dave76

Look at your local martial arts supplies store for a traditional japanese item called a 'suburito', it's a heavy piece of wood with a handle roughly shaped like a sword and is designed to strengthen your wrists for swordplay.

13. chris halkett

Iv never heard of that before dave how would i use it

14. Dave76

Just like a bokken, or wooden katana. Use for practising cutting and blocking techniques. View attachment 702
    Regular sized right up to Popeye forearms and wrists size...
    View attachment 703
    I can't find the pic now , but this same guy puts a lead weight on the end of this monster....to make it a it hardero_O

The same principle seem to holds true across most eastern arts, put weight onto something long and increase the length at which you can hold it out and perform your exercises as you get stronger. Having just purchased a live katana, I can tell you that sword cutting is pretty hard on the wrists. Practising with a bokken or even just a baseball bat would be beneficial.

15. chris halkett

yeah my dad uses bokkens and katana iv had a shot but nothing like regular practice i might just get him to show me some simple katas and practice in the house with one of his bokken thanks dave

16. Dave76

Did you look at the attachments? Not sure why they did'nt come thru:confused:
    3.jpg
    2.jpg

17. Dave76

Oh...there we go!:)

18. Dave76

Late entry Chris, handstand push ups. Have'nt done them in ages, till the other day and yep....it's a goodin for the wrists.
    If you can't do a 'free' handstand, then do it against a wall, even if you have to walk your feet up.